Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently added on all pro winch bumper (no winch yet but soon), 4 KC lights and the full all pro bull bar.

the only reason i ask is while searching for a suspension lift, i noticed that Old Man Emu has 3 different types of spring rates. i'm just worried that what i have thus far might be little too heavy for the front end?

i also have a pair of trail gear rock rails.

any input would be awesome.

thank you!

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you havent bought your suspension yet, get the heavies for the front at least. Heavies for the rear if you like a stiffer/truck like ride or if you plan on carrying a bit of gear/passengers in the rear. I have the mediums both front and rear and LOVE them. I do wish i got heavies for the front as i want to add a winch, bumper, lights etc. to the front. I will just wait and do this when the funds allow and get the heavier springs along with the rest.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Running the heavies (886) without the bumper winch, lights and what not is i believe the reason they stopped marketing it as the heavy spring.
Now, 883-light, 884 medium, 885 heavy is the set-up.
Without the weight, people were having issues with getting alignments and blaming ARB.

If you havent bought your suspension yet, get the heavies for the front at least. Heavies for the rear if you like a stiffer/truck like ride or if you plan on carrying a bit of gear/passengers in the rear. I have the mediums both front and rear and LOVE them. I do wish i got heavies for the front as i want to add a winch, bumper, lights etc. to the front. I will just wait and do this when the funds allow and get the heavier springs along with the rest.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Layton speaks the truth - check his sig, he's running 885's and switching to 886's up front only because of the weight of the ARB bumper, winch and cable. 886's are 660lb/in springs and clearly intended for heavy duty applications, i.e. not only carrying the bumper, winch, etc. but also winching on the trail.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
if this helps, there is a blue fj here in town running stock no lift, with an arb bumper hanging on the front, sure he has a lot of sag going on, but he still has it on there..

·
Registered
214 Posts
For what it's worth, I bought my 885's through Toytec Lifts after speaking with a guy named Kirk (as suggested in another thread on this forum). Of the several people I spoke with on this subject, he made the most sense. I explained that I would be getting a Road Armor bumper with Titan (~120lbs) (hopefully here next week) and would likely get a winch in the near future. Kirk suggested the 885's with the Toytec kit, as apparently the 885's alone don't give a lot of lift. I went with Toytec's rear RCC2.0 purely on Kirk's advice. Toytec is at 303-255-4959.

(FYI - I don't have the new coils on yet as the aforementioned Toytec spacer that goes over the front strut was a concern for my local 4-Wheel Parts folks. They gave me a hard time about putting them on since they don't sell/rep. this particular component. Wanted me to sign a liability waver and agree to pay for labor associated with any failed attempts to install. I called Kirk back to get get his opinion on this exchange and he assured me that this is a 100% solid set-up and they haven't had any issues. I'm going to have another local shop do it who says it's no big deal... hopefully later this week. I should also point out that I'm keeping the "stock" Bilstein's that came with my TT Edition.)

Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Running the heavies (886) without the bumper winch, lights and what not is i believe the reason they stopped marketing it as the heavy spring.
Now, 883-light, 884 medium, 885 heavy is the set-up.
Without the weight, people were having issues with getting alignments and blaming ARB.
This is one of the main reasons i went full mediums and decided to wait on the heavies until i got the gear along with it. I debated it for quite a while, but knew if i got the heavies i would need to get the rest shortly there after. I played it safe knowing that i had already pushed the wife enough with the money i had already stuck into the rig. Seeing as you already have most of the added weight there, you should be good to go. Once again, you cant go wrong with OME. Toytec is essentially the same set up.

·
Registered
90 Posts
On my stock '08 OF Pkg FJ I added an ARB Bullbar and Warn M8000 winch and it felt like I was driving a hot rod from the 70's. The nose was qute low as compared to the rear.

As an experiment to see what I could do to level this out I installed a used set of OME 884's on N140 struts that I picked up from billybongo63 and retined the rear bilsteins.

My heights measured to the bottom of the fender flares were/are as follows:

Stock Bilsteins Fr & Rr
LF - 33 7/16"
RF - 33 11/16"
LR - 36 1/4"
RR - 36 1/4"

OME 884 Fr & Stock Bilsteins Rr
LF - 35 9/16"
RF - 36 1/16"
LR - 36 1/4"
RR - 36 1/4"

I now need to add a 1/4 Toytec top spacer to the drivers front and I will be essentially level.

I will try to post up some after pics.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
886's are WAY too heavy IMO for your application. I run a rather heavy FJC that includes a MAF auxiliary fuel tank in the back (an extra 20 gallons @ 6 lbs/gallon) and a Fab Fours rear bumper with swing arm (another 150 lbs) and 885's give me a nice ride in the back with ALL THAT WEIGHT. I can't imagine that there would be much advantage to running 886's on the back of an FJ unless you were dealing with extreme loads - likely exceeding design parameters for the FJ.

But just my opinion.:ninja:

·
Registered
99 Posts
OME 883, 884, 885 and 886 = front coils

OME 895, 895E and 896 = rear coils

This is a front coil thread although there is always some cause and effect in any suspension choices between front and rear.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
For what it's worth, I bought my 885's through Toytec Lifts after speaking with a guy named Kirk (as suggested in another thread on this forum). Of the several people I spoke with on this subject, he made the most sense. I explained that I would be getting a Road Armor bumper with Titan (~120lbs) (hopefully here next week) and would likely get a winch in the near future. Kirk suggested the 885's with the Toytec kit, as apparently the 885's alone don't give a lot of lift. I went with Toytec's rear RCC2.0 purely on Kirk's advice. Toytec is at 303-255-4959.

(FYI - I don't have the new coils on yet as the aforementioned Toytec spacer that goes over the front strut was a concern for my local 4-Wheel Parts folks. They gave me a hard time about putting them on since they don't sell/rep. this particular component. Wanted me to sign a liability waver and agree to pay for labor associated with any failed attempts to install. I called Kirk back to get get his opinion on this exchange and he assured me that this is a 100% solid set-up and they haven't had any issues. I'm going to have another local shop do it who says it's no big deal... hopefully later this week. I should also point out that I'm keeping the "stock" Bilstein's that came with my TT Edition.)

Good Luck!!!

Let me know how your setup works after the install. Good luck

·
Registered
467 Posts
My 2 cents, I have the Allpro Bumper, large light loop and the winch. Stock springs w/ 3 inch spacer lift. No sag.
AllPro bumper is about 90lbs with the light bar. It's also one of the lightest in the market, thats why I bought it. The ARB bumper is way heavier than AllPro's.

Don't know if this will work, hang an aproximate weight of your winch to your bumper and see how much it sags and how it rides.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts