Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just over a month ago I was in an accident with my FJ, which I had only owned for about a month at the time.

The accident was not overly serious- I was going 50km and t-boned a Honda Accord that turned left in front of me- but my neck begs to differ. Her car was totalled and the FJ has about $7000 damage to it.

After a month of not being able to move my neck (read; work, or worse yet go to the gym... makes a guy crazy) I am seriously questioning this truck. The biggest issue being that I can't find a comfortable position for the seat- I am 172cm/68kg and find the seat was obviously designed for a much larger person. Evidently, a park bench doesn't offer proper support against whiplash.

How have you fared after playing bumper cars in your FJ?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident. Crashing a beloved vehicle sucks but in no way compares to an injury that has the potential to permanently impact your comfort/health/lifestyle.

But in a front impact crash, momentum would force your head forward, so since your seat(and all seats for that matter) is behind you, it could do nothing to prevent a neck injury in this situation. And as long as your headrest was installed, the seat would prevent your neck from being over extended backwards when your weight transferred back to the seat.

I've had drivers seats in vehicles that were never comfortable for me as well, and it can be very frustrating. But lack of comfort doesn't necessarily mean lack of safety.

I hope your injuries heal quickly.

If my conversions are correct you're about 5'8" and 150lbs which I would call a very average size for a male. I'm 5'10" 140lbs and the FJ has the most comfortable drivers seat I've owned so far.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Oh man, I'm glad you walked away and am sorry to hear you are hurt so bad. I've had that injury before and I found every day tasks very painful and difficult. Even laying my own head down on a pillow hurt let alone standing up. Here are prayers that you will heal quickly.

Did the air bags deploy? Did you get repairs on your fj done?

IMO the FJ probably prevented you from much more serious injuries than you sustained. It is a very well built vehicle compared to others on the market today. No one should not be injured in a crash like that. I'm a Firefighter and an EMT and I've responded to many accidents.

Take care and heal quick. I hope you can have a renewed faith in your FJ.

Tim

·
Registered
460 Posts
I'm 6'1", 180 pounds and I've also found the driver's seat in my FJ to be the most comfortable seat in any car I've ever driven.. And that was very unexpected.

·
Registered
178 Posts
FJ has done well in the Insurance Institute Crash Test and the Government Crash Test. Too bad to hear about your accident and being sore as result of it. IMO the FJ will perform it's best in an accident if it's left in it's stock condition. Adding a lift, aftermarket bumpers could affect the crash results in a severe head on crash. Others have mentioned the seat comfort, but not has been mentioned about how the seat has performed in accidents. This could be in the performance on whip lash or to it's performance on rear in collisions. Many people lost their lives from rear in collision due to the seat failing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did the air bags deploy? Did you get repairs on your fj done?

IMO the FJ probably prevented you from much more serious injuries than you sustained. It is a very well built vehicle compared to others on the market today. No one should not be injured in a crash like that. I'm a Firefighter and an EMT and I've responded to many accidents.

Take care and heal quick. I hope you can have a renewed faith in your FJ.

Tim
Still haven't fixed it- far too anal with body work, so I am still searching for shop that I can feel good doing business with.

I am siding with my insurer and doctors on the fact that the poor fit of the seat is most responsible. I wish I could say it is the most comfortable seat I have ever owned, but it feels like a park bench compared to that of my previous Lincoln LS, Taurus SHO, or Acura EL...

Fabulous vehicle for what it is, but that is most notably not a safe place to suddenly go from 50 to 0 in! I just can't wait to be healed up so I can return to full work/gym (and the occasional rip in the mud)...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts