Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a 3" lift installed Saturday by a local offroad business Saturday and bought new tires. I'm very happy with the way it looks now but when I took it to get realigned they said the tie rod was out on the left side. I'm just curious if I may have damaged it from having to drive it about 50 miles before getting the alignment? My stock tires seemed to wear out pretty fast so could this have been a pre-existing problem? If so I never noticed it because my FJ never pulled or handled weird. I take it to Toyota for regular maintenance and they have never mentioned it. Haven't took it offroad in a while or hit any hard bumps/pot holes. I guess I'm just a little worried since everything seemed fine up until I got my lift and new tires. Any thoughts?

Also they are wanting to charge around $340 to replace it and alignment. Doesn't that sound a little high?

I've put about 50000 miles on my FJ so far and everything has been stock until now. I have the BDS 3" lift and BFG KM2 tires.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm certainly no expert, but I doubt you could severely damage it by driving 50 miles.

Not sure what you mean when they said the "tie rod was out". Out of what? Out of alignment/adjustment? Out like in "broken? Worn "out"?

You might consider getting another shop to give it a second look.

And although $340 doesn't sound cheap you have to consider most shops charge $60 -$90 an hour, plus marked up parts prices.

All the foregoing is just an opinion from a guy that pays someone else to work on his vehicle.

Jerry:cheers:

·
Registered
143 Posts
When we are talking about tie rods are we talking inner or outer?

Outer are extremely easy to replace, and inner only slightly more difficult. I know there is a good how-to around here to do the inner ones. Price seems a little steep considering tie rods are not expensive.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies!

Already got it back from the shop

The inner tie rod was wore out and needed to be replaced. He showed it to me and the wheel wobbled real easy. Surprised I never noticed it driving.

The price wasn't a big deal but I just thought it would have been around $150-200 range instead.

I really didn't have much of an option to look around because this is the only shop here within a 100 mile radius. I pretty much live in the middle of a desert. Could have probably done it myself but I have been so busy at work that I couldn't see myself getting to it any time soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
glad to hear you got it resolved. Sometimes ya just have to bite the bullet anf pay up.

Jerry:cheers:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts