Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 FJ with the integrated key/remote. Normally, I double tap the lock button to lock the doors and turn off the headlights. Today, for some reason, the lights are not responding to the remote. The doors seem to be locking normally, but the headlights stay on.

Ideas?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It sounds like your auto off headlight relay isn't working. btw you only have to hit the lock button once to lock all the doors. take it to the dealer so it doesn't cost you anything

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Check the rear window... Ron

2008 FJ with the integrated key/remote. Normally, I double tap the lock button to lock the doors and turn off the headlights. Today, for some reason, the lights are not responding to the remote. The doors seem to be locking normally, but the headlights stay on.

Ideas?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the quick replies. The second tap on the remote is the one that is supposed to turn off the lights. I'll go double check the doors and window and try again.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
yes... the second tap should turn the lights off. I leave mine on all the time now.. PIAA fog lights too.. It's safer that way.. Cheers.. Ron

I appreciate the quick replies. The second tap on the remote is the one that is supposed to turn off the lights. I'll go double check the doors and window and try again.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All doors and the rear window are definitely shut. Still no dice on the auto off. I stood around for a minute, and it doesn't seem that the timer is working either. Guess I'll be visiting the dealership.

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
What about the suicide doors, are they closed good?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as I can tell. I barely ever open them, and the only doors I've used since I noticed the issue this morning are the driver's door and the rear door.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Look in and see if the open door indicator is lit. It sounds like it thinks a door or rear windows is open. The rear windows have been known to be sticky. You opened and snapped it shut a few times? If they are not, it'll do exactly as yours. Somebody had a bad door switch and that'll surly cause it.. Ron

All doors and the rear window are definitely shut. Still no dice on the auto off. I stood around for a minute, and it doesn't seem that the timer is working either. Guess I'll be visiting the dealership.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just checked again. All openings are definitely shut correctly. The remote is still not shutting off the lights. I was wrong about the timer, it appears to be working fine. I guess I'm just impatient. I have an appointment with the dealership scheduled for Thursday morning.

Also, in what world is it ok to let your dog run around loose all day? I just stepped in a pile of crap from the neighbors dog for the 3rd time this month.:flame:

·
Registered
196 Posts
is the beep report still working? This happened to me and it was a squirrel that chewed on the harness. no warantee coverage

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Beep report? It makes all the normal sounds, if that's what you mean. The only thing that appears to be affected is that particular function of the lights.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Target practice.. It's like an arcade game.. You run out da house with a cylinder full of rat/snake shot and start blasting away just behind the offending canine.. It runs home, the owners look on in fright at the madman and you go back in the house.. It's worked for me everytime! Honestly.. Cheers Ron

I just checked again. All openings are definitely shut correctly. The remote is still not shutting off the lights. I was wrong about the timer, it appears to be working fine. I guess I'm just impatient. I have an appointment with the dealership scheduled for Thursday morning.

Also, in what world is it ok to let your dog run around loose all day? I just stepped in a pile of crap from the neighbors dog for the 3rd time this month.:flame:

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol. I was thinking along similar lines, but we're a touch too suburban here to get away with that. Also, I park along the street, so I'd hate to start that kind of feud. I've thought about invoking the three S's, but there are way to many witnesses to get away with it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I resolved the issue, for the time being at least. It seems that the passenger side lock knob jumped it's detent somehow. I pushed it back to where it belonged and everything seems to be working normally now.

Now the big mystery is how exactly the knob got out of sync with the mechanism. The world may never know...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts