Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post!
I’ve been checking this forum for a few days on how to proceed with replacing the factory audio in my rig. ZoSo has helped a lot with where I want to head. But I’m still a bit confused about what I’ll need to replace first and how to integrate the factory sub. I’m also a total novice as far as car audio goes.

First off, I have a 2008 with the FJammer HU and OEM sub. My budget is around $1000. I want to keep the factory sub, at least for now. I want to replace the head unit, dash tweeters and front door speakers. I’d like to have the option of putting in an amp later on if needed. I’ll also be installing it on my own.

I was looking at the Alpine iLX-W650, but now I’m not sure if that is a good choice as far as future upgrades go.

Im a bit of an audio nerd and would like at least mid-high quality sound. Can anyone suggest where to head? Should I just install an amp now? Should I use 6x9 speakers in the doors or smaller? Should I use component speakers?

I feel like I’m forgetting other questions, but I’m grateful for any help I can get!

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a dmx906s and have zero regrets on it. Got it from Crutchfield and everything required. To include the pre-made wire harness. Just ground the video ebrake wire back to the head unit. I bout some cheep 6x9s and replaced the dash with 3.5in Memphis.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did new speakers in dash and doors. Lucky for me, my 07 was factory wired to rear location for rear pillar speakers.
got all the speakers from sonic electronics for $125 or so. Added a $100 8 inch powered sub underneath driver seat and this deck... it sounds very hood to my ears.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
59 Posts
Yep, did the same from Cruchifild. Buy the harness and did my own connections and solidify wires and isolation. Never have a issue past 2 years.Replace head unit with Pioneer CD &DVD and front and rear camera.Used only rear camera. Used all factory wires and new Pioneer high fidelity speakers. Twitters in front and back was replaced with Pioneer 3 inches twitters. Modified factory brackets to fit 3 inch twitters. If you not handyman don't tray.
My o7 FJ Cruiser sounds better than my 2015 Lexus.
Not louder but hi fidelity. Didn't touch the subwoofer and don't need to do anything the moment I connected the new head unit.
Doors speakers and twitters are cheap manufacturers used to save cost.
If you looking for loud then used a amplifier to have more power.
You need to decide before what speakers and twitters and subwoofer to mach the amplifier power. Will cost more for quality parts than you budget.
Replaced parts cost:
-Pioneer head unit 400.00
Speakers 280
Twitters don't remember exactly.
Sometimes I'm thinking to update to a amplifier for more power but don't want to have problems with battery and alternator and second battery. To much problem and cost to do the right way.
Under 1000 will be my budget to stereo system and focus in other sectors my car needs to keep running good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts