Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last weekend I installed a Dual Battery Kit from Dirty Parts. Pretty easy project except I didn't like where the instructions showed to mount the switch, under/on the lower left part of the dash where I might bump it. So, I removed the center control panel and mounted it to the bottom edge.

Since I had the control panel out, I upgraded 2 of the 4 Radio Shack LEDs that I installed a couple years ago to new Oznium Super Bright LEDs. Big difference, way better light in that formerly dark area.

And since my tools were already out I put a new CB radio on the roof and ran the mic cable down to the center console, installing the jack just fore of the extra 12V outlet.

While placing the order with Oznium I added a 25 LED dome light and upgraded the 16 LED that has served well for a couple years, moving it to the rear, so 32 LEDs back there now and the 25'er shining redunculous bright in the front. These are cool white so the pics look bluish.

Since I was removing plastics I decided to add a Basslink subwoofer the the rear and mount the level control to the control panel. Added a couple more 12V outlets since there was a nice 8ga wire there now.
One thing leads to another.:thinkerg::cheers::thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
That switch is good quality but looks like something horrendously outdated from the soviet space program. I hate mine, looking for a decent replacement, plus the green LED on it is glaringly bright at night.

·
Registered
936 Posts
:clap: Man I thought you were going to end up with a supercharger there for a minute, those mods have a way of multipling. :lol: I didn't like where Dirty Parts suggested to mount the switch either, it would have lasted a day or two at best with me. I like where you put yours, I mounted a brake controller there in mine, I just moved my switch up to the flat part of the dash and ran the wires through one of the punch out.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the "Soviet era" switch because it is unique and I'll not mistake it for anything else. If the green light gets annoying I'll take a black marker pen and darken it or stick some tape over it.

I am working on a really cool mod this week, trying to find a seat sensor switch to hook up to a horn under the dash. (Thinking about rigging up a riding mower seat switch.) The 10mm LED mounted in the switch panel will light up red when the system is active, and anyone who sits in the driver's seat will be rewarded with a full strength truck horn from under the dash. Bet that gets 'em out fast.:eek:

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Haha. It's amazing how one thing leads to another. What started out as a front bumper only mushroomed into a lot more and a business license. Insanity I tell you.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Insanity? Yes, I have evidence.

Just got a Stinger voltage monitor and have mounted it to the left side silver plastic vent cover thing, along with a DPDT switch. I was going to use a momentary switch until I found that the Stinger has a "trigger" line, so it can be connected to a circuit that is only hot when the ignition is on (or aux). The switch is on-off-on, so left will be to see primary battery voltage, right for aux battery and center off, because the bugger looks like it might be too bright at night. Planning to install it tomorrow after getting rid of this pesky beer. :cheers:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey CNCKART, how do you drill a square (rectangle) hole to mount the rocker switch in the link? I have a couple switches that came with lights but couldn't figure out how to install them. I drilled a 1/4" hole for the voltage monitor switch from Radio Shack. (for lights I used Toyota-type switches in the blanks to the left of the steering wheel.)

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
I actually put that where the dimmer slot is. I'm out of slots and never used the dimmer any way. You could do a clean square slot with a dremel if you were very careful, and very patient. :cheers:

dual battery 001 by cnckart, on Flickr

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So now your truck is dimmerless.:lol: Very creative way to install a switch, the dual battery control switch? I really like the relay mounting plate you installed under the hood; another great idea for me to steal and use. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
:lol: Just watch where your hood closes around the relay mount plate. If you look close I had to take the back corner off. :cheers:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The dual battery kit installation is almost done with the addition of the dual voltage monitoring gauge. Switch left = primary, switch right = auxillary, center = off. Works great. :bigthumb: Switch came from Radio Shack, gauge is a Stinger.
[/url][/IMG]

The Stinger is pretty bright in the dark, even after I applied a black felt tip marker to the logo (under the cover).
[/url][/IMG]

I haven't quite figured out what do do about adding a battery conditioner (or 2) yet, so I'll order some more LEDs from Oznium and brighten up the outside while I mull it over with a cold one.:cheers:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is where I tied in, careful soldering to the circuit that powers the existing LEDs in the dash. I'm sure there are other places, but this was convenient since I had the console off and wanted to avoid any additional wires to/from the console.
[/url][/IMG]

The original thread where Sunshine described his method starts out real good, but takes a very long journey through experimentation and chaos until some real creative ideas evolve. http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/48334-dash-lights-mod.html

There are a ton of threads along these lines, but the main thrust seems to be that LEDs are great. I have become a fan of Oznium because everything I ordered was shipped fast and the stuff works. Just remember that LEDs require a resistor if you hook 'em to 12v. I solder everything and use heat shrink. (TV repairman in a former life.) :wave::cheers:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Decide to just get 2 Battery Tenders Amazon.com: Battery Tender 021-0123 Battery Tender Junior 12V Battery Charger: Automotiveand attach the included ring connector cables to each battery. I have to lift the hood to plug these in, but that will keep me from driving away without disconnecting. I am considering a lift-up license plate frame for the front so I can locate the plugs behind the plate, but that project is for the future. This week I upgraded the mirror lights to Oznium 1 Watt amber LEDs and took a picture of the dome light LEDs while parked next to a Honda CR-V for comparison.
That group buy on the dual battery kit wound up costing me more in time and money than originally planned:lol:, and I don't think it's over yet. Suspension and bumpers are next on the list. Hey, that extra battery is heavy. :wave:
[/url][/IMG]
[/url][/IMG]

Can you even tell the Honda's dome light is on?

[/url][/IMG]

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
It's funny how that happens. I get to poking around the truck and all-a-sudden there are more tools out and I'm doing something I hadn't considered earlier. These episode are usually acconpanied by an adult beverage or three. It's been part of the fun of FJ ownership!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll drink to that! :cheers:
Beer seems to lead to mods, I just ordered an ANL fuse holder and 100 amp fuse to use right at the battery. I pulled 8 ga wires to a fuse panel under the dash and today realized that if there was a short between the fuse block and the battery the truck would probably burn down, along with the house (and all of my beer). Unlikely that there would be a short unless some idiot with a wrench or a screwdriver :wave: was messing around... Or a wreck scenario, or any of the Murphy's Law things that haunt my existence. Aux battery is getting a nice fuse this week. :cheers:

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The fuse holder with a 100 amp ANL fuse fit perfectly on the battery hold-down bar. I flipped it over and added a couple sliced pieces of fuel line as cushions against the Die Hard.

Since the tools were out I added the DRL switch, nicely documented here http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/40854-daytime-running-lights-drl-disconnect.html

The switch has an LED that faintly lights when the DRLs are on.

OK, I think that's about it. There was some sort of mojo/voodoo in the Dual Battery Kit from Dirty Parts that spawned a lot of seemingly unrelated projects. I blame the weird switch. But it all seemed necessary at the time...
:wave:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts