Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker here, finally registered on this forum, but still looking for the right rig.

As the title says, I have been cursed. First off, I really like the FJ and I wanted one eversince I have first spotted one, even before driving one, simply, my name was on it.
Literally, my name is on it - my real name initials are FJ...
Second, I am a big toyota guy and after I drove one, I knew it would be my next car.
Some years passed and I believe this is the right time to get one for several reasons. That is the possitive way of looking at my curse.

The bad thing is, I am in Europe (Czech republic) and FJs are rare here. I believe the FJ was not even officially distributed in Czech republic and all FJs in my country were individual imports.
So not that many for sale and ppl are asking ridiculous prices for rusty c**p cars.
There are 4 of them on offer in czech, two in Slovakia and 4 in Poland, 25 in germany.

I have gone several hundred miles to get a voodooblue 2008 FJ in great condition only to find out the frame is rusted as hell.

I have made a deal with local owner near Prague on a black MT 2006 but he insisted on going through the paperwork in the local town office together (it was friday afternoon) and also wanted to "drive the car for few more days to tow some glass panels", so we agreed on the deal, he promised to hold the car for me, then stopped responding and of course sold it to a speculative buyer (who will do a new paintjob and probably flip it for 5k more). Btw that one had TDR exhaust and acc. upgrades...

Also found a nice yellow one, but the owner is a typical example of "not motivated to sell". He just doesnt care about money and he is slowly rasisng his price every few weeks.

Finally found one i liked with low milleage (blue 2007 with arb bumpers, snorkel, bajarack... probably spacerlift tho) but everything about that car is fishy. It is in Poland but owned by german private owner, altho initially stated the price includes VAT).
Also after few phonecalls and playing dumb, the seller mentioned Oh yeah there was some small paintwork, just the left door, but it was just fender bender on a parking lot, no big deal.
The car is lifted. It has the plastic door guards and huge rock sliders. Fender bender with what, a tank? Oh come on people!

Please, if you have a decent FJ anywhere in Europe up for grabs, or have seen one or know where to look, please, share...

So, I have probably been seriously cursed and the FJ is just not meant for me.

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,838 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,344 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i had that idea, problem is, its not that straightforward to register this kind of car here (from outside EU).
I have been looking at some in UAE, and also heard that in countries like georgie or so, there are many FJs...

Buy one in the Middle East & drive it home!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Welcome! I knew a girl from outside of Prague....Albersdorf but that's a story for another day.

All the best in your search!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi FJ_FJ, welcome from central Ohio!
Not a curse, but a desire to not just have an FJ but to have a great FJ.
However, once you do find the prefect FJ, you will discover that there is a curse on your wallet - but we all live with that one :)
Good luck!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i thought it was a little weird to be reading through hundreds of posts and countless topics and articles given i dont even own the vehicle!
I already have a long list of mods i wanted to do, but im sure im not the only one who does that PRIOR the purchase :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE ON THE CURSE

Also forgot to mention this one 2x4 blue FJ i wanted to buy...
So there was a nice old FJ, RWD tho, only driven on highway (170k miles), I kinda know who was the first owner (living near my hometown... yep, we are a small country).
The price was right on that one so i though i might give it a shot and agreed on meeting with the current (second) owner. I drove up to his place and the guy didnt come out and was not picking up his phone.
so again, waste of time and gas and no FJ
(he did text me the next day he was sorry but he had fallen asleep after a long trip...)
wtf ppl

anyways, the real dilemma is still between AWD AT or full time 4x4 MT. Kinda inclining to the AT at the moment but i guess it doesnt really matter to me that much

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Todays convo with my gf:

me "So, in october, how busy exactly are you?"
her "Medium busy, why?"
me "How abuot we take a flight to Dubai, get two FJs and drive them back through saudi arabia, jordan, syria, turkey, bulgaria, serbia, hungary, austria and puff we are home in czech republic?"
her "Ok im in! I think we need to get some walkietalkies..."

lol thats her.

how safe is west syria at the moment? im not even sure if one can cross theborder between syria and turkey...

https://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/toyota/fj-cruiser/2019/9/4/2012-manual-fj-cruiser-2/?back=L21vdG9ycy91c2VkLWNhcnMvdG95b3RhL2ZqLWNydWlzZXIvP3ByaWNlX19ndGU9JnByaWNlX19sdGU9JnllYXJfX2d0ZT0meWVhcl9fbHRlPSZraWxvbWV0ZXJzX19ndGU9JmtpbG9tZXRlcnNfX2x0ZT0mc2VsbGVyX3R5cGU9JmJ1eWVyX21hcmtldD0ma2V5d29yZHM9JmlzX2Jhc2ljX3NlYXJjaF93aWRnZXQ9MCZpc19zZWFyY2g9MSZwbGFjZXNfX2lkX19pbj0tLSZhZGRlZF9fZ3RlPSZhdXRvX2FnZW50PSZvdD1hc2Mmbz0z&pos=3

·
Registered
939 Posts
Todays convo with my gf:

me "So, in october, how busy exactly are you?"
her "Medium busy, why?"
me "How abuot we take a flight to Dubai, get two FJs and drive them back through saudi arabia, jordan, syria, turkey, bulgaria, serbia, hungary, austria and puff we are home in czech republic?"
her "Ok im in! I think we need to get some walkietalkies..."

lol thats her.

how safe is west syria at the moment? im not even sure if one can cross theborder between syria and turkey...

https://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/toyota/fj-cruiser/2019/9/4/2012-manual-fj-cruiser-2/?back=L21vdG9ycy91c2VkLWNhcnMvdG95b3RhL2ZqLWNydWlzZXIvP3ByaWNlX19ndGU9JnByaWNlX19sdGU9JnllYXJfX2d0ZT0meWVhcl9fbHRlPSZraWxvbWV0ZXJzX19ndGU9JmtpbG9tZXRlcnNfX2x0ZT0mc2VsbGVyX3R5cGU9JmJ1eWVyX21hcmtldD0ma2V5d29yZHM9JmlzX2Jhc2ljX3NlYXJjaF93aWRnZXQ9MCZpc19zZWFyY2g9MSZwbGFjZXNfX2lkX19pbj0tLSZhZGRlZF9fZ3RlPSZhdXRvX2FnZW50PSZvdD1hc2Mmbz0z&pos=3
nice

Looks like a nice 45 hour drive

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
yeah i thought it was a little weird to be reading through hundreds of posts and countless topics and articles given i dont even own the vehicle!
I already have a long list of mods i wanted to do, but im sure im not the only one who does that PRIOR the purchase :D
Wish I had, but I got lucky. Might have done the front bumper winch mount differently had I done more reading prior.. :smile

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts