Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
This thread covers a lot of what may be your problem. You should be able to see if your cables are secured to the door handle and the lock button. They might be switched.

Before you go the extent of pulling off the door panel. I'd check some other stuff. You can get if off....I've done it but you will have to remove the seat. Then you will most likely break the plastic clip when pulling it off. I did it without damage but my clip was lose already.

·
Registered
4 Posts
cant open it up from either handle, took the panel off to remove mirror to black out, didn't touch actuator. took lock plastic off and have vise grip on wire with green and can pull and wont release door.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
If all you have done is reverses the cables then.....this would be the easiest fix:

This post is courtesy of toytaco I copied from another thread:

Now I haven't accidently switched the cables on my door yet, but because I was off and had nothing better to do, I tried and reenact what you did. I did it with the door opened of course. but when I tried it, I figured it out. What you have to do is basically pop out the lock above the interior door handle. "Hold" it in the unlock position, stick your fingers behind it and pull towards you. The top part of the lock will come off easy the bottom part is a little challenging. you might have to stick a flat head between the interior lock and the handle. wedge it in there and it should pop out with out breaking anything. With mine the cable came off from the actual lock so all I had to do was get pliers and pull the cable until the door opened. Good Luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
So you have the green cable loose. Normally when you pull on that it automatically unlocks the door and then will open latch letting the door open. If your white wire is still attached to handle it is possible it is not able to extend enough to unlock the door.

When you pull on the green cable ....pulle the handle gently which should unlock it. I believe cable extended is unlocked. It's probably not able to unlock with the handle attached and not pulled. Hope that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Sounds like it's staying locked. When you open from the inside it automatically unlocks the door. Then you are able to open from the outside.

Have you tried using the key in the handle to unlock before using the outside handle?

Sounds like when the pulled off the door panel to paint they didn't get a cable in snug/clipped in enough, which maybe why it's not unlocking with the key fob (assuming you are unlocking with the clicker)

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Sounds like it's staying locked. When you open from the inside it automatically unlocks the door. Then you are able to open from the outside.

Have you tried using the key in the handle to unlock before using the outside handle?

Sounds like when the pulled off the door panel to paint they didn't get a cable in snug/clipped in enough, which maybe why it's not unlocking with the key fob (assuming you are unlocking with the clicker)
No matter what I use to get it in the unlock state (i.e. the button in the same position as the picture above, red showing), the outside handle does not work until I use the inside handle to open it, then the outside handle works all the time until I lock it again. Rinse and repeat.

Taking it apart this weekend to check cables.

Here is a good video on taking the door off:

·
Registered
2 Posts
The actuator guy was nice enough to give me this tidbit:

I am sorry to hear about your problem. I have received quite a few messages from people in your situation lately. Unfortunately most of them have to cut into the actuator to get the latch to release. There are multiple failure points inside the unit itself that can cause this type of failure to occur. The best place to cut into the unit is one inch in from the rod that connects to the outside handle.

After 4 small holes ( 3rd time wasn't the charm) stuck a small screwdriver in and walla the door popped open. Now to see if I can salvage this thing, probably not, but the guy will be getting my business for sure.

So if anyone needs to know how to
- open a locked door that won't open
-get a door panel off with the door closed (still not sure the damage on this one /forums/images/FJCruiser2/smilies/tango_face_grin.png)
- where to drill your actuator to open it the first time if it's stuck

I'm your guy

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to go outside now And do a little dance.
So, after replacing my actuator motors, I'm in the same boat on the driver's side. Neither handle will open, will not unlock with the key, fob, etc. The two cables were not/are not crossed. I've got the door closed, driver's seat out, and door panel off. I can see the interior door handle cable moving the latch for the exterior door handle rod, but no luck. Can aguy get the instructions on where to drill the actuator to get the door to open? TIA!

·
Registered
9 Posts
If all you have done is reverses the cables then.....this would be the easiest fix:

This post is courtesy of toytaco I copied from another thread:

Now I haven't accidently switched the cables on my door yet, but because I was off and had nothing better to do, I tried and reenact what you did. I did it with the door opened of course. but when I tried it, I figured it out. What you have to do is basically pop out the lock above the interior door handle. "Hold" it in the unlock position, stick your fingers behind it and pull towards you. The top part of the lock will come off easy the bottom part is a little challenging. you might have to stick a flat head between the interior lock and the handle. wedge it in there and it should pop out with out breaking anything. With mine the cable came off from the actual lock so all I had to do was get pliers and pull the cable until the door opened. Good Luck!
You are the man. This just saved my butt after a full day of dynomatting, thought I was done, shut the door and forgot a tool, door wouldn't open, ****!
This post saved me, ty!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Long shot.... are you sure something such as a tool is not jammed or wedged under the door binding the latch. I had this happen when my wife slammed the rear door close on top of a wrench, seat belt. Maybe have someone lean against the door while you attempt to open from inside.
I had the same problem when I closed the back door on a bungee cord. That was all it took to completely jam! I used a coat hanger to relieve the jamming and pushed from the inside.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts