Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into aftermarket wheel options, (preferably 16" if we can fit them), and it looks like Jaos offers forged wheels that are 4runner compatible (and from what I gather from the other thread, that should work on the FJ). Are Jaos goods generally good quality? I"m a little surprised at the lack of forged offroad wheels i'm seeing being offered other then Weld (and I don't care for there styles). Is there a reason for this? Obviously, reducing unsprung weight on a huge vehicle like this is a plus....but are forged wheels bad for offroading?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Depends on the type of off-roading you want to do. If you are into escaping and mild trails, alloy, forged, steel anything will really work for you. Rock crawling you want steel and cheap because you will most likely be tearing your wheels up pretty badly. Alloys' don't hold up to that kind of abuse and are awful pricey to replace every weekend. Spare steelies aren't expensive.

I thought weld had some sweet styles for offroad. The American Racing Mojave would be sick wrapped in BFG Mud Terrains, too...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Simple answer? Forged is expensive. And what invariably happens to wheels when they're used offroading? They get trashed. That's why 95% of the REAL offroaders just use cheap steel wheels you get for $50 a wheel from Les Schwab, or if they're serious about rockclimbing might spring for beadlocks (REAL ones, not those blingy ones). The rest are just shiny wheels for the guys with jacked up trucks and 36" tires (or alternately, Hummer H2s) that have never seen a speck of dust.

IMHO.

- LC

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lost Cosmonaut said:
or if they're serious about rockclimbing might spring for beadlocks (REAL ones, not those blingy ones).
Lol, reminds me of these wheels that I came across last night, fake beadlocks:

" A bead lock look without the hassle - the Axis Regulator gives you the ultimate off-road wheel look for the street. The Axis Regulator comes with either red, blue or polished rings that can be painted to match your vehicle for a custom look. The painted 3/16" thick aluminium rings are rugged, and offset the polished face of the Axis Regulator. "

I thought to myself, wow, even the 4x4 crowd has to deal with rice.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Jaos stuff looks nice but sooo $$$. If you got the funds then damn it looks pretty cool but I'd be too worried to wheel it as it's just too nice to damage ;)

HamsFJ said:
How much does it cost to install a tire on a rim with bead locks? Just curious.
No tire shop (i.e. discount tire / america tire) will touch real bead lock wheels. It's a liability for them and they will only balance the wheels. This means that you would have to mount the tires yourself.

Mounting is rather easy:

1. Take bead lock disc off.
2. Get tire on wheel. Use lots of soap and water. (bubbles! YAY!)
3. Reinstall bead lock disc.
4. Bolt it down to specified torque spec.
5. Inflate tire.
6. Take it to a local tire shop to get it balanced.
7. Enjoy!

The only problem with a true bead lock tires are that they're not DOT. There might be one or two that I've heard (rumorville) that are DOT compliant but bleh.. Prices to get wheels beadlock ranges around 150-250ish per wheel (depends on which vendor you go to.)

Good luck

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
POS VETT said:
Hey, that's *MY* idea ! :p
And will be for some time I presume... I can't afford another 2500 after the FJ anyway - you're safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts