Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm cruising the local swap meet this morning and I see a guy selling sets of Japanese plates. Finding real license plates from Japan is a little hard cause they stay with the car until the car is scrapped and they are not allowed to be reused (i.e. they are scrapped as well)
They don't allow them to be removed for collecting or to be exported.

Anyway these were not fakes or remakes but the real deal. I got a set just for fun and figured I'd mount them next to my plates I have now. Problem is the rear door has a space for one plate so you can't display both. The front bumper has room for both but I'm not sure if I should stack them or just mount them both. The japanese plate is a little wider but not enough to see anything but half a character when you cover it with a US plate.
Sucks I really wanted to show off with these plates..

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Pics?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's nice!
I little more correct than my plate but the guy only had 500 series plates besides mine. When I looked it up on my phone those are suppose to go on vehicles with less than 2000cc engines so I grabbed the one I posted with a
"33" in the corner plus it has a lot of 3's.
I like how they are dark green in lettering.

Are your plates for foreign use? The letter to the left of the main numbers looks western. When I was reading about them earlier it mentioned western letters there instead of Japanese characters means it's for use out of Japan.
Just curious. Glad I'm not the only one who likes them. A couple friends and my wife thought it was stupid to install them.

>>EDIT, didn't see your location. Military maybe?

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
Those ARE sweet...

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
yeah military plate. imported vehicles get E plates and everyone else gets Y. use in japan only.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah military plate. imported vehicles get E plates and everyone else gets Y. use in japan only.
Cool, I doubt anyone in the states will notice or know but I'm trying to figure out what the "33" means. The guy only had my plate and a "500" plate and I knew 500 was for smaller engined cars.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
33, 34, 35, 36 Registered for Heavy Car, engine capacity over 2000cc

·
fka trailman
849 Posts
wouldnt mind having one of those

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
after some asking around I have found they changed the numbering system a long time ago. your 33s are at the very least about 12 years old, possibly even antique. they are from Yamanashi prefecture. the 2 characters next to the 33 show that, the first character YAMA actually means mountain, it's a very mountainous area, and a 33 could of very well been on an FJ years ago so it actually does fit your truck!!

·
Registered
460 Posts
hmm... somewhat related question... They sell used plates at gas stations along some of the highways in Idaho and Utah... Some appear to have never been used, some are antique... Does anyone know if these are legal to install on the front bumper of a vehicle registered in a state that doesn't require a front license plate?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
after some asking around I have found they changed the numbering system a long time ago. your 33s are at the very least about 12 years old, possibly even antique. they are from Yamanashi prefecture. the 2 characters next to the 33 show that, the first character YAMA actually means mountain, it's a very mountainous area, and a 33 could of very well been on an FJ years ago so it actually does fit your truck!!
Just lurking and noticed this post. Thanks for the follow up info. I've had one on the truck's front bumper for a couple months and nobody gets it. Always getting asked why I mounted a Japanese plate on it. Everyone thinks it's weird. I think it's cool.

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Just lurking and noticed this post. Thanks for the follow up info. I've had one on the truck's front bumper for a couple months and nobody gets it. Always getting asked why I mounted a Japanese plate on it. Everyone thinks it's weird. I think it's cool.
Dont worry what others think- its your rig and you like it so then it rules! :rocker:

Being different means your not a cookie cutter.

Most people also dont get the FJ either- even better I say...:D

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
奴らなんか放っておけ

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here's a little picture of my FJ in Wells, NV. last month getting dirty in the snow. Did a nice little 4X4 drift for the Burger King employees on a smoke break as I left the parking lot.

·
Premium Member
9,302 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts