Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys. Well I just got done searching the forums, but didn't quite find what I'm looking for. After much searching, I finally found a performance shop who will install my JBA headers (shorty SS) and exhaust. He was straight forward with me in saying he's done a lot of imports but not an FJ, which I appreciated. Now without the benefit of having the aforementioned items at hand, he threw up a couple of red flags, and I didn't know what to say:
He asked me if the FJ was a "California car". Puzzled I looked at him and didn't know the answer. He proceeded to show me a sticker under the hood about emissions and bla bla bla (see my other post). Then he told me that's why they have the two precats and I shouldn't mess with headers, the computer is programmed for CA emissions and that I'll get all sorts of check lights, and there's nothing he can do if that happens.
While I know people have had issues with the O2 sensors going bad because of welding, I couldn't find anything else to dispute or verify his claims.
Now my questions. With the JBA headers, do the precats come off or stay on? And if they come off, I am assuming the sensors will plug into the headers somewhere?
I am sure he is competent in getting the job done, I just need the right answers to convince him that a lot of you out there are running this setup without any issues. ANY info would be greatly appreciated.
PS I know someone's going to say take it somewhere else. I don't really have too many options.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
The JBA setup is CARB certified and legal in all fifty states. PM spincycle or call Underdog Racing Development (urdusa.com) and ask for advice. There is a correct and incorrect way to weld the cats onto the headers, and they can tell you the correct way. I've had no issues with any dash lights going off at all. The long tube headers are the ones that are illegal and require a sensor to prevent the check engine light from going on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts