Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so i plan on supercharging(URD) in the future. Right now i have a Truflow intake and jba exhaust. Wanted to add the JBA headers next to complete the system but dont know which ones to get, im also thinking... which ones will perform best with the supercharger in the future or will they all work fine. Will there be any check engine lights coming on after the install of the headers. Here are the diffrent ones i found. What are the diffrences other than the finish? Thanks in advance! :cheers:

I noticed the first ones are labeled "Direct OE Replacment"

2007-2009 Toyota FJ Cruiser Headers - JBA - J212035S - Stainless steel, 3-1, Direct OE replacement

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Headers - JBA - J212035SJS - Cat4ward, Stainless steel, 3-1

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Headers - JBA - J212035SJT - Cat4ward, Stainless steel, 3-1

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the long tube headers, that delete the cats, you will need an O2 sensor to avoid check engine lights.
None of these are long tube are they? I thought only the DT headers are long tube.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I ran the JBA shortys, ceramic coated. It took about three and a half years for my pre-cats to foul up. I was supercharged (trd) for the last two or so. For the cost of replacing one exhaust manifold, I was able to buy DT long tubes and URD's black box.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the JBA's and they are great headers, but the ceramic coating doesn't alow for proper heat disapation, and the first set of cats are only inches from the exhaust ports. My main cats were also ruined as the pre's disintegrated and clogged them as well.

My experiences may not be yours, but they are very real to me-BW

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
I ran the JBA shortys, ceramic coated. It took about three and a half years for my pre-cats to foul up. I was supercharged (trd) for the last two or so. For the cost of replacing one exhaust manifold, I was able to buy DT long tubes and URD's black box.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the JBA's and they are great headers, but the ceramic coating doesn't alow for proper heat disapation, and the first set of cats are only inches from the exhaust ports. My main cats were also ruined as the pre's disintegrated and clogged them as well.

My experiences may not be yours, but they are very real to me-BW
Umm...you don't want the heat to dissipate in the engine bay. Raising your intake temperatures which will directly correlate to a loss in HP. Thats the whole point of ceramic coating...keep the heat inside the exhaust manifold. Most aftermarket performance manifolds with have a jet-hot or similar type of ceramic coating to reduce engine bay temps.

Simple solution...delete the Cats and get more hp ftw. :bigthumb:

OP - why not call URD. They should be able to answer your questions much better since they actually mfg and sell the system. Especially since only a handful of FJ's have thier new setup. :cheers:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ok, so I have a lack of technical knowledge... the headers say "for offroad use only" not street legal. What is different with these that make them not legal?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, so I have a lack of technical knowledge... the headers say "for offroad use only" not street legal. What is different with these that make them not legal?
Ignore the offroad only thing. Jba headers are all street legal. The only non- sreet legal ones I know of are the DT long tube headers.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thought it would be the wiser choice to go with ceramic personally. And had JBA install the headers and theyre exhaust here in San Diego. Install was a grand :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts