Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally found a shop to install w/o having to bend-over...."The Custom Car Shop of Las Vegas" installed for 400.00 clams w/o tax.....Great work, I can feel the difference in power at lower gears and in 6th gear doesnt want to let up....The sound is noticable. The locomotive sound that normally comes from the headers, although it seems the CAI has toned out from the accelerated air going through faster....I'll find out how much more power is gained after I install the Unichip....

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Cool, the only problem is that you might loose some of the low end torque you need when crawling, but I'm sure definitely improves the power in higher rpm's.:D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have to put my fj to the test and see how much low-end torque I've lost, hopefully not much...although the acceleration in lower gears seems quicker...on pavement.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
huh? headers should give you the most low/midrange torque out of all your exhaust components.. you will not lose anything low end.
It depends on the length of the runners and the engine. Longer runners seem to preserve low end torque and shorty's tend to loose it.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I havent seen any long pipe Headers for the FJ, If there was one, it would probably be illegal...Since the Precats are so far up on the exhaust pipe...everything seems good, Has anybody ran a dyno-testing on this combo (trd CAI, JBA Headers and TRD Cat-back exhaust)..I'd like to see this test, before I spend more beer money and stripper tips for the UniChip...

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Yes there are long tube headers made by Doug Thorley, and yes they are illegal. They sure sound good though, but I would never consider them until they offer them in stainless. I have had my truck on the dyno with the TRD CAI, JBA headers, JBA exhaust, and custom tuned unichip. I can tell you that the chip and custom tune made a really big improvement. Here are the graphs:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/engine-performance/44254-unichip-computer-module-5.html

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those are impressive numbers, Ill be ordering the unichip ASAP....Thanks for the fast response..

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
It depends on the length of the runners and the engine. Longer runners seem to preserve low end torque and shorty's tend to loose it.

DEWFPO
I always thought it was the opposite... shorter runners tend to keep/increase bottom end and the long tubers are all gained up top...?

I hope to feel an improvement in the bottom AND up when I install my JBA headers on Saturday. They are in getting custom welded to Magnaflow stainless highflow pre-cats and stainless flanges as of today, pick them up tomorrow.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It's frustrating not knowing where to go for stuff like this. I did a search on custom exhaust and found a place. I also went to my local midas and they recommended someone they knew; ultimately that's who I used.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How can we master that piece "UNICHIP", unfortunatly, we don't have anyone here in KUWAIT to take care of the programming,

I'm having TRD CAI + AFE cat back, might remove the emmission exhuast " Home made Y-pipe style with disabling the sensons", might have JBA headers also.

So do I need the UNICHIP?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts