Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 with the subwoofer and stereo controls on the steering wheel. I want to swap the radio out with the Toyota JBL radio from a 2011 and later. I would also like to add the phone controls to the right side of the steering wheel. I read a lot of threads but still can’t figure out if this is plug and play. The JBL unit and steering wheel controls are both available on Ebay.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 2010 with the subwoofer and stereo controls on the steering wheel. I want to swap the radio out with the Toyota JBL radio from a 2011 and later. I would also like to add the phone controls to the right side of the steering wheel. I read a lot of threads but still can’t figure out if this is plug and play. The JBL unit and steering wheel controls are both available on Ebay.

Thanks for any help.
Actually the radio i’m looking at is the Pioneer that came out in 2011. Will that unit even fit in my dash?

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
LoneStar,
The '11 JBL /subwoofer systems are on a canbus system (not sure when they switched)
My '07 is "wired" in.
I also have the right side phone control kit that I'm planning on putting on my '07, (it has the left side stereo pad)
I THINK it is plug & play, there are several posts of other members who have done it.
Look here:
Add Steering Wheel Audio Controls To Base Models
The only caveat being to disconnect the Neg. battery cable & let it sit for a few minutes to avoid potentially setting off airbag.
HTH!
D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LoneStar,
The '11 JBL /subwoofer systems are on a canbus system (not sure when they switched)
My '07 is "wired" in.
I also have the right side phone control kit that I'm planning on putting on my '07, (it has the left side stereo pad)
I THINK it is plug & play, there are several posts of other members who have done it.
Look here:
Add Steering Wheel Audio Controls To Base Models
The only caveat being to disconnect the Neg. battery cable & let it sit for a few minutes to avoid potentially setting off airbag.
HTH!
D
Thanks for the reply. The JBL won’t work i found out. I think blue tooth came in 2011-2012? Do you know if the 11-12 pioneer unit will fit in my dash? My 2010 has left side steering wheel radio controls. What i want is to upgrade to the Pioneer and add rght side blue tooth cntrols to my steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
3,076 Posts
When I installed a Pioneer Navi head unit (with bluetooth and backup camera, etc.) in my FJ, I got all of the installation stuff from Crutchfield, a Metra adaptor module, adaptor so it'll fit the dash hole, and so on. During installation there was a snag with the adaptor and the person at Crutchfield talked me through it, realized there was a defective unit and replaced it quickly. If I'd tried to do all of that myself, by buying those individual parts separately, and then had the defective unit I'd have struggled. But with their tech support it was one stop shopping and ended up being as close to "plug and play" as could be.

One thing I found out is the dash in the FJ is angled up slightly. The Pioneer I bought had an adjustable face angle, making an improved fit to one that would have been fixed vertical, and also, as a result easier to use the touch screen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts