Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that Toyota doesn't plan on winning over that many Jeep owners.

Just curious how many X Jeep (Wrangler/CJ) owners have bought the new FJ?

I myself have been a long time jeep fan and owner (2 wranglers/1 CJ). Don't get me wrong I love Jeep but the quality sucks compared to Toyota. I for one was glad to see Toyota bring some real competition to the Wrangler. After seeing video of what the FJ was capable of doing stock and test driving it I was sold. Feel kinda evil for turning my back on the Jeep family but LOVING IT (my FJ) at the same time!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Bought an Xterra, still have the jeep. Not the same vehicle at all. Jeeps is way more capable in most offroad situations. FJ is the same as the nissans... a capable street 4x4.

If I had to have only one car, I'd take the FJ or X over a wrangler. Wranglers suck over the long haul and are a bear to live with on the highway. So, really, the buyers of wranglers are a different crowd/demographic .. I just happen to own a jeep as a backup vehicle. If you want a 4x4 for offroading only, a jeep is better than an FJ..I don't see how that could even be argued.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I let go of my 2005 Rubicon w/ 4" lift and 285's . I must admit the only reason I got it in the first place was because I could not convince the wife to let me get another FJ40. The "heep" was brand new and had a warranty. The FJ40 would be over 20 years old and no warranty. It came down to "peace of mind". Having restored two FJ's and then going to the Rubi, I must admit that I truly felt that I was downgrading to a lesser capable 4x4. My two previous FJ's were solid, rock-crushing beasts that would get me in and out of any situation. My Rubi felt " thin-skinned", was miss-firing the 2nd week I had it, was leaking a front seal the fourth week, and finally broke a rear shock mount four months in. I was very unsure of taking it off-road.:eek: Everything except the shock mount was covered by the warranty. When I found out that the FJ Cruiser was reality, I could not get it out of my mind...It haunted me...Taunted me......I must have one.....I must have one......... Bye ,bye Rubi...... Anyway, I have heard many things about the capabilities of "heeps" and have many friends that own them,BUT, I will never go back again to the dark side.

I'm still working on getting that FJ40 but the FJC will do me just fine for now;)

ick.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I own a 04 jeep wrangler, a dedicated trail machine, sees very little road use, mainly just to and from the mountains. (20 miles)
bought the FJ for mild offroad use and a grocery getter
ok let me explain, tow the pop up trailer, she can wheel with me untill she does not want to subject her FJ to some of the trails I take, she loves 4x4s and wanted a FJ since the first concept photos, chased the truck delivering them to the dealership and bought the first one, day released, while sitting on the truck.
made sure it was set up with locking diff, partime 4x4 and all the offroad goodies.
I was so proud of her
of course she has been 4x4ing with me for over 20 years.

·
Registered
112 Posts
There's a good chance it will be the other way around in my case.

My first truck was an 89 Toyota standard cab 4x4. By the time I sold it, it had 6 inches of lift and 35s. I now have an 05 Tacoma double-cab shortbed with 3 inches of lift and 33s, winch, allpro front bumper, sliders. I really do love Toyotas and was stoked about the FJ coming out... until I drove one. It just didn't do it for me. If they would change the majority of the griped about issues then I would probably get one, but there's just too many things I don't like at this point.

That being said, the 07 Wrangler Unlimited Rubi looks like it might be just what I'm looking for. Reading the specs and seeing the recently released pics nearly has me sold. If I am equally as happy with the test drive then I will be trading my Toyota (Tacoma) for a Jeep! :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts