Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I really love my jeep, but was thinking about trading it for a FJ. I have a few questions to ask, and dont want to "search" all around for them. yeah i'm lazy. So any useful answers would be great!!

First, are Fj's like wrangler's where you have to re-gear the axle's and/or upgrade the existing axle's to safely run larger tires? Or are the stock axle's strong enough? What are the largest tires i can safely run without any modification? 33's? 35's? Will this eventually mess up the tranny?

Also, if I do a lift larger than 3", like a 6" lift, do i have to get a longer rear drive shaft like i did with my wrangler? is there anything else i would need to upgrade or replace if i wanted to run a 6" lift with 33/35inch tires, other than your lift kit and the tires them selves?

Thanks for all your help!!!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Hello and welcome! I run a three inche lift with 33" tires on a stock drive train. I did replace my lower rear links with All Pros. No issues with anything. I sure some of the others with 35s and 6" lifts will chime in.

·
Banned
7,381 Posts
The typical lift for FJ's are 3" and you can run 33" tires. With a body mount chop and wheel spacers you can run 35" tires. Re-gearing isn't necessary for the 33's and is an option for 35's. With bigger tires parts will wear out faster but if you get one you will realize that the fj power is much better than the wrangler so you can decide if you want to re-gear or not. The trannys and axle are pretty stout in the FJ's. If you want to run a 6" lift you are going to want to get new UCA.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello

I can answer a few of you questions. I am running a 3" lift with 33" with no problems and no loss of power. The 3" lifts can be coil lifts, puck lifts or coilovers. the 6" lift you will have some frame mods done for the IFS. When these mods are done it realigns the transfercase so you will not need longer drive lines (thats what I was told by a 4x4 shop when I was looking at the 6" lift). as far as regearing I think its a personal preference. I traded my 09 wrangler in for my FJ

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just sold my Wrangler and now I'm buying an FJ. I presently have 3 Toyota's and unless they quit making Toyotas, They'll never be another Chrysler product in my driveway.
What a piece of crap that Jeep was. I had it exactly 6 weeks and I was never so glad to lose $800 before. I got on their forums to ask a few questions and after reading all the major problems they have I just backed out and sold it.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I just sold my Wrangler and now I'm buying an FJ. I presently have 3 Toyota's and unless they quit making Toyotas, They'll never be another Chrysler product in my driveway.
What a piece of crap that Jeep was. I had it exactly 6 weeks and I was never so glad to lose $800 before. I got on their forums to ask a few questions and after reading all the major problems they have I just backed out and sold it.
What year was your Jeep? I have a 2008 that has nothing but suspension and steering problems!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Hey Hellbound :) Imagine seeing you here. So are you still having DW along with the suspension and steering problems?
Hey man! Are you JK-Forum?

I haven't had death wobble in awhile now, but for some reason I still suffer minor wobbles and a lot of play in the suspension.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry for the temporary threadjack

yeah, Its me from Jk-forum. DW was killing me and I was looking at alot of suspension work on my JK so I sold mine. I still frequent the forum and run with the JK crew

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Sorry for the temporary threadjack

yeah, Its me from Jk-forum. DW was killing me and I was looking at alot of suspension work on my JK so I sold mine. I still frequent the forum and run with the JK crew
Its amazing how crappy these JKs are built eh? My suspension and steering falls apart driving down the road!

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
2006 was the last year of the wrangler.

I own Both and really like my FJ it's a great vehicle. I drove 456.8 miles today, Cleveland and back and I'm not beat up at all even with five broken ribs it was a great ride.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2006 was the last year of the wrangler.

I own Both and really like my FJ it's a great vehicle. I drove 456.8 miles today, Cleveland and back and I'm not beat up at all even with five broken ribs it was a great ride.
Thats a nice TJ, I agree I like my FJ's ride and power alot more than my jeep. If I ever get another Jeep it will be a YJ or TJ just as a thrasher.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Having a Jeep as a daily sucks.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
my fj didnt needs gear and i had a 3 inch lift and 35s nothing ever broke but the starter :D
I'm gonna put 35's on my FJ, got the 3" lift with 33" now, what will I need to do? Body chop? Wheel spacers??? Thanks I also have a 2005 Rubicon LJ 6" lift. There is no comparision between the FJ and the TJ, if toyota would have come out with a drop top FJ , I prolly wouldn't have bought the TJ/LJ.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts