Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
In a word, no. It looks like there is some pretty good price fixing on the Revtek lift at just over $500. How many in the Portland group are going to lift their rigs?

·
Registered
702 Posts
I checked for online pricing after our meeting, Central 4 wheel drive and others. If I remember correctly, every one of them were $512 for the Revtek lift (why I say "fixed" pricing), for what you get, highly overpriced in my opinion. I'm curious about Tranman's Daystar? spacer lift, how that's going to work out. If you want to take the reigns on this, go for it, I really don't have the time right now. If you find a good deal for someone to do multiple FJ's, lifts/installs, count me in. I'll try to stop by Precision 4 wheel drive which is just down the hill from me on Hwy 212 this weekend and see what they say.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was over at Revtek yesterday. What a great team of guys. Can't wait to pick up an FJ and have them upgrade it.
I got to see their post Moab FJ out in the shop. I'm definitely NOT going to be running Mickey Thompsons EVER. Notice how the sidewalls are worn down to the threads.:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just don't feel comfortable with Daystar...

On Tranman's recommendation, however, I started looking at the ToyTec lifts: http://www.toyteclifts.com

--Bill

·
Registered
702 Posts
I stopped by Precision 4 wheel drive today. They want $694 for the revtek lift installed and he said he would go $635 for 3 or more. We would also have to pay for an alignment. See what you can do now.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Jelopy said:
I stopped by Precision 4 wheel drive today. They want $694 for the revtek lift installed and he said he would go $635 for 3 or more. We would also have to pay for an alignment. See what you can do now.
Steve from Precision 4 wheel drive is great to talk to. I feel comfortable with him and would trust him. $635 is a great price. He's under the impression that b/c Revtek or Daystar is a simple lift, an alignment is not crucial. He said Get it aligned next time you have your tires rotated.

Les schwabs quoted me $850 for the Revtek lift, install, and alignment. I got them to match at $650, then found toytec, then found daystar.

Toytec is seriously the way to go if you want a coilover system or something inbetween coilovers and spacers, but I have a feeling they'll be on back order soon if you don't get your order in. Precison 4 wheel will install it for you if you bring em the kit.

I only went with the daystar for the following reasons...
-several people are now running the daystar and the ride is stocked! Again, this is a testiment to the FJ's suspension and not neccessarily Daystar or Revtek. Actually the reason could be b/c the spacers sit on the top plate above the coils so there shouldn't be any preloading.
-I'm not going to do serious rock crawling, so the daystar kit should be sufficient for light trails and some rock crawling, and I get the lifted look for bigger tires and added clearance. I also plan on running wheel spacers without any fear of damaging my truck despite the expert opinions here not to run them. I will explain this in another post another time.
-It's cheap. $150 compare to the $500 for Revtek. Only difference I can see b/t the two is that revtek replaces the rear shocks. Not worth the $350 differnce even if it's better shocks. You can get similar shocks from toytec for less.
You can also argue that Revtek uses aluminum spacers and Daystar poly pro. Many people have run daystar spacers on heavier trucks like F-150 and 250's without issue.
-If it degrades in a year or I don't like it, I will switch to a coilover system upfront. Keep the rear spacers, and just switch out the rear shocks. If I need to do this, then I will get all my parts from Toytec. I really wouldn't be losing out on much other than $80 for the front daystar spacer and maybe $150 for the install. Not bad if you ask me.
-The daystar is just a temporary kit untill some time goes by. Then we'll get all the reports of which coilover system is best for the FJ and worth the money. I'm sure that there won't be much difference b/t the big names, but ya never know.
Anyways, I'm bummed my daystar kit didn't come in before I had to take my FJ down to Fresno. So it looks like it will be 2 more weeks until I can get it lifted. You guys know me, I will be posting pics and a detailed post of the kit, whether I like it or not, the ride differences, if it's worth it or not, etc.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanx for the info Tranman. I too think the Revtek lift is a good $250 overpriced. I've only scanned through the lift comparison thread as I'm only just now considering whether or not to dump $1500 or so into my FJ with lift/wheels/tires.
Do you know of anyone who's running any of the Toytec systems on their FJ? Whatever lift I decide to use, I want to keep the stock ride.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
No cuz they just made them available this week. It really won't be long before we start reading the write ups. I'm predicting they will be the top sellers.

Actually, PM Don ? (I found this searching for Toytec lift)

toytec lifts said:
We try and do something a little different, and the setup we are testing on Dons FJ is working great.
The custom made rear coils are an excelent ride! They should be in stock next week.
BTW, this has been mention before, but I believe the toytec uses an OME spring coil and a top loaded spacer up front.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had Les Schwab put a ProComp lift on my '97 Tahoe(long gone). I went with them because of their OUTSTANDING warranty and plethora of locations. Well worth the little bit of extra $$.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jelopy, thanks for the PM. I haven't missed this thread, I've just been....well...confused. There are a lot of options out there and several that are still in the works. I first looked at Revtek, then Toytec, now the All Pro setup looks nice... Then, this weekend, I looked at my rig and thought about just doing 285's and skipping the lift...

:disgust:

--Bill

·
Registered
702 Posts
bigbill25 said:
Jelopy, thanks for the PM. I haven't missed this thread, I've just been....well...confused. There are a lot of options out there and several that are still in the works. I first looked at Revtek, then Toytec, now the All Pro setup looks nice... Then, this weekend, I looked at my rig and thought about just doing 285's and skipping the lift...

:disgust:

--Bill
I think we're better off waiting also. I just thought you missed that I actually found time to stop by Precision.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jelopy said:
I think we're better off waiting also. I just thought you missed that I actually found time to stop by Precision.
Ah, yes. Thank you for taking the time to do that. It is appreciated. Some of these coil-overs look pretty easy to self do, however, but might use a shop. Again, still confused!

--Bill

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Bill!! haha. to lift or not to lift? that is the question. It does have it's ups and downs, but then again the FJ is formidable in it's own "stock" right.

If not lifting, the very least I would do is a daystar leveling kit. $80 and do it yourself if you know how and have the spring compressors.

-Leveling kit is a HUGE improvement visually for the FJ or any vehicle. It looks that much bigger. This should be a no brainer for the guys.
-It would eliminate the slight rub of 285's up front. although I would even consider 295s!
-It would give you more front wheel travel. No botteming out with 285s on the trails!
-It's cheap $80 for the kit.
-Allow you to add an aftermarket bumper. I'm assuming you can't add the bumper without some lift. It would worsen the slight rubbing of 285s.
-You would get some of the benefits of lifting without some of the negatives.

I think one of the forum members may still have his daystar leveling kit for sale. Just search it. Tran

·
Registered
702 Posts
It looks like I might have a used Revtek lift lined up. How much would you pay for a used Revtek lift assuming it is in near perfect condition? Give me a $$ figure please.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Anything use usually goes for just a bit over 50%. But it the demand is high it can go near 75%. Seeing how a new kit is $525. I'd offer $350 tops. $300 Since you can get a comparable kit from toytec for around the same.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Back to thinking about the ToyTec lift... However, I just installed my Gobi ladder tonight, and I don't think it will work with larger rubber.... Doh!

--Bill

·
Registered
702 Posts
Thanx for the replies guys, I'll have to check out the Toytec lift. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do as far as lifting/wheels/tires. I was in Les Schwab over the weekend and I really like the Amp fourtyone-2 black off road wheels in the 17X8. http://www.ampwheels.com/. I don't know if they will even fit though.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 26 Posts