Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 80 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Here is a question. What is everyone doing with the permanent ground wire attached to the Wilson Flex?

I have left mine disconnected for the one trip that I have used it on thus far. Not sure this is a good idea though.

I did scrub some paint off the underside of the bandi mount to get some good metal to metal contact. I also scrubbed some some paint from the bandi screw hole and used a star locking washer for mounting to the door hinge. Should I also be looking for a location to connect the antenna's built in ground wire? I do notice that things like activating the washer fluid gives feedback into the radio.
If you connect the ground wire to anything, it makes having a quick disconnect pointless (I have seen this in person, and tried not to laugh :rofl:). I've got my wire wrapped around the antenna itself and then secured with a zip-tie, I've never attached it anywhere. SWR's tested out of the box at 1.2-1.3 or so.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
:lol: That would make me laugh also. When it is necessary, it would not be difficult to run a ground block up near the bandi and put a weather pack 1 pin connector on the antenna ground wire for a quick style connect/disconnect.

Mine is currently wrapped around the antenna and zip tied as well. SWR is testing in the 1.2-1.6 range so I suppose I should call it good and leave well enough alone. It would be nice though if I could get the electric windows and washer fluid motor to stop sending feedback through the CB.

As long as I am not hurting anything I will just leave it as is.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Parts were delayed. Now coming in Tuesday..thanks for the write up it will be helpful

·
Registered
249 Posts
Dumb question as I start my install

I have the stainless steel mount:
Stainless Steel FJ Cruiser Antenna Mount

When scraping away the paint @ rear door hinge mount - am I just removing paint where the bolt passes through? It's a bit unclear from the various threads I've read as to just hoe much is enough for a solid ground

Rust, as noted earlier is the main concern. Any issues for folks thus far?

I'm thinking I'll finish the stainless is black plasti dip on exposed faces. If it proves less than ideal I can always rattle can it as access for service is easy

Thanks for any insights

·
Registered
3,079 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
well I tried the 2ft firestik...no bueno. 1.5:3.5 lol I got that Wilson flex coming in now

·
Registered
352 Posts
Just installed mine.
Into the door I went. Easy-Peasy....

Install went great. Had an old 4ft. Wilson Silver Load laying around from 2 trucks ago as well as an old Radio Shack mini transceiver that I reused.

·
Premium Member
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
:crying I so hate to see people cut into that boot. Glad you got it installed but I hate it when people do that! Once you cut the boot it is open to dirt and moisture.

@Vegas_Nick do you have a link or dimensions to the rubber gasket you're using on the door? We've got a bunch of installs coming up in Colorado, and I'd like to give this to people as an option.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
@Vegas_Nick do you have a link or dimensions to the rubber gasket you're using on the door? We've got a bunch of installs coming up in Colorado, and I'd like to give this to people as an option.
Hey man, grab my number from the top of my website and I will shoot over a pic of the package. It is a 3/8 grommet from Lowes.

ExCop Offroad

·
Premium Member
4,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
61 - 80 of 122 Posts