Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing the sub today (Merry Christmas!) and I'm scratching my head on something.
1) They insist that you use the L brackets at bottom to attach to the wheel well.
2) The trim piece just "magically appears" back on at the end of the instructions with no mention of how the brackets are connected through what used to be a plastic shelf.

Are you guys cutting the plastic or ditching the brackets??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow really? I'd figure JL Audio would put some form of OEM fitting and engineering into the FJ's Stealth box, where it's just snap-in or bolt on. Man, I was on the edge of buying one.

Let me know how it works out, if you figure it out.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow really? I'd figure JL Audio would put some form of OEM fitting and engineering into the FJ's Stealth box, where it's just snap-in or bolt on. Man, I was on the edge of buying one.

Let me know how it works out, if you figure it out.
It seems that JL audio crafted instructions based on "replacement of the factory sub". Problem is, for those that never had a sub and want to add one, they don't tell you there is a completely different trim panel in that model FJ.

After much searching online the cheapest mention of this lower subwoofer panel is more than $60. I will see what my local dealer has to say.

I might just carve up this one.

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
How did it turn out? Which amp did you go with?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How did it turn out? Which amp did you go with?
Hey Wilson,
It turned out great after I bought the OEM piece to polish it off. I posted that info here: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/121015-psa-new-subwoofer-know-your-trim-panels.html

I couldn't be happier with the sub. I went with a smallish Polk Audio amp under the drivers seat. Took an older forum suggestion of using a plastic cutting board as a mount plate. That went under the floor, I used nylon spacers to compensate for the floor vent (on the rear side) then mounted straight down into the plastic. No holes in my floor, doesn't go anywhere, very clean.

Today I'm upgrading the head unit to a new Pioneer AVH-4300. Can't wait to see what iPhone integration tricks can be pulled off with that. Motion X Drive app looks VERY cool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts