Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

181 - 200 of 233 Posts

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
here is a photo of the Wheelers Offroad rear bump stop next to the stock Fj bump stop. one of the best mods i did run them front and back. the front one does not use the base. they are progressive no more hard hits.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
That ‘laurel in bloom’ is a rhododendron...

Hmm.. not sure to be honest. The two are in the same species and almost look identical. Our state flower is the Mountain Laurel so always just assumed that what we saw during hikes/ growing in the wild/ in the mountains were Laurel and the smaller that is often used for landscaping was Rhododendron.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Great GX!
I've had my 13 TT for 2 years now that I loved and wanted since 13. My FJ only has 5100's (forth notch) and Daystar 1.5" spacer in the rear with 295-75-17's. Just put the lift on last month, but then I saw it...a GX470 driving around lifted with 33ish tires. I fell in love, I've been researching them non-stop now. Knowing they come with four doors with roll down windows, leather, heated seats, 3rd row and to top it all off a V8?
This FJ was it, this is my care for a long time it is perfect for me, but a V8!!!! I am torn now.
Carmax has an 08 with 88K just like yours and I want it! I hope it sells before I can't control myself!

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
Great GX!
I've had my 13 TT for 2 years now that I loved and wanted since 13. My FJ only has 5100's (forth notch) and Daystar 1.5" spacer in the rear with 295-75-17's. Just put the lift on last month, but then I saw it...a GX470 driving around lifted with 33ish tires. I fell in love, I've been researching them non-stop now. Knowing they come with four doors with roll down windows, leather, heated seats, 3rd row and to top it all off a V8?
This FJ was it, this is my care for a long time it is perfect for me, but a V8!!!! I am torn now.
Carmax has an 08 with 88K just like yours and I want it! I hope it sells before I can't control myself!

The GX fills the FJC void nicely. I’m really enjoying it although haven’t had a whole lot of time to really dig in and start modding. Hoping to pick up a front bumper and get the get the winch back in this fall. The V8 is awesome with plenty of power to spare. I’ve noticed that a lot of folks go with 255/80/17s w/ the GX. Seems that the pizza cutter works well. I’m still running 285/70/17.

·
Premium Member
8,023 Posts
No off to have them welded on!
Those look nice. Before welding make sure you can still open up the rear passenger doors without the door trim hitting the slider. My brother's barely scrapes mud off the slider without trimming. Dunno if the GX's are the same, probably.

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Those look nice. Before welding make sure you can still open up the rear passenger doors without the door trim hitting the slider. My brother's barely scrapes mud off the slider without trimming. Dunno if the GX's are the same, probably.

Thanks for the tip! These aren’t tilted upward though so hopefully no issues. I’ll be sure to double check since you mentioned it. Planning on lining them up with the bottom of the frame rail.

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
A few updates.
Was finally able to work a deal on a trailer. Ended up going w/ a ‘19 [email protected] XL Boondock Edge. Should be built and delivered in 8-10 weeks.
Internet pics because any thread is useless without them!
The Edge has the additional roof rack, awning, light bar and front spots.

Then ordered the Metaltech standard rear receiver to get my towing capability up and running.

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Installed the Metaltech standard receiver today. A little bit of trimming but much less expensive than Toyota OEM and well built.

Had to pull rear bumper skin.

Remove existing hardware

All this to tow...

Mounting up with a little trimming

I’ll pull the valence an clean up my trim work but it fits and is functional

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
You did a great job on that valance Jody! This baby is looking gooood! Love that trailer..it looks about perfect for our rigs!

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk

·
トヨタ Master
9,920 Posts
I can't believe I didn't know you put the FJ out to pasture. Joking aside, these 470s are pretty cool and can be had for Ford Explorer money. Wise choice! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
You did a great job on that valance Jody! This baby is looking gooood! Love that trailer..it looks about perfect for our rigs!

Sent from my NiPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Patience isn’t one of my stronger virtues. Need to do a little shaping and sanding to get where I’d like it.

I can't believe I didn't know you put the FJ out to pasture. Joking aside, these 470s are pretty cool and can be had for Ford Explorer money. Wise choice! :cheers:

Couldn’t believe what these rigs go for. Fills the FJ void nicely and the family dynamic right now. Actually probably less than Exploder prices!

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
That ‘laurel in bloom’ is a rhododendron...
For those that don't know, I remember hearing about the highly toxic honey of bees that fed on rhododendron plants. Very interesting plant btw. It reminded me of this thread
"Rhododendron species have long been used in traditional medicine. Animal studies and in vitro research has identified possible anti-inflammatory and hepatoprotective activities which may be due to the antioxidant effects of flavonoids or other phenolic compounds and saponins the plant contains."

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Ordered the REDARC Tow-Pro Elite today to finally get my electric brakes functional. Liked the simplicity of the setup along with the ability to switch from Proportional Mode to User Controlled Mode. My old controller could be a knee buster from time to time.

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Tow Pro came today so I decided to play around with it before the snow hits.

Curious pup is into everything...

Factory harness for plug and play use

Complete package.

Murphy was sure to shoot down my first idea placing the button behind a blank on the dash. The assembly was too long and wouldn’t fit properly so ended up going another route.

Finally found a spot here that will work.

Just have to tidy up the wiring and put everything back together in the AM. Pleased that it takes up virtually no space and will work perfectly for towing the trailer.

181 - 200 of 233 Posts