Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

221 - 226 of 226 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
I guess I have some updates to share. Didn’t realize it had been so long...
Always busy now doing little things to the FJ and maintaining the GX.
First up, my son hit his first deer. Luckily it was a yearling and he barely clipped it. He didn’t panic, handler it well and no one was hurt! But that was the final nail in the coffin for the factory bumper.

Had to speed up my decision making process and ordered a ARB Prado 120, Deluxe Bullbar. Unfortunately none were in country so the wait was on.

In the meantime I found a small company that was fanning rear ladders at a very respectable price and the quality is great IMO. The rig is mainly used for hauling the trailer for camping and exploring. But until I mod the the tongue of the trailer, I can’t fully open the rear door while hooked up. And we use the rack quite a bit and I was tired of crawling all over the door sills to get stuff up and down. This little ladder works great!

Next up was the bumper. This isn’t a direct fit due to the differences in trim packages between the Prado and GX. A bit of massaging and trimming is required but it isn’t too hateful.

First fit. Still need to wire up lights and fab some filler pieces but it fits and overall modifications were minor. Since the install we’ve had nothing but rain and we are essentially home bound. I’ll gather supplies to finish it up when the dust settles

And yes @debFJVT, those are the same COOP’s from the FJ... circa 2015 and over 50K on them. I’d be hard pressed at this point to buy another type unless I jump to the pros!

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
I guess I have some updates to share. Didn’t realize it had been so long...
Always busy now doing little things to the FJ and maintaining the GX.
First up, my son hit his first deer. Luckily it was a yearling and he barely clipped it. He didn’t panic, handler it well and no one was hurt! But that was the final nail in the coffin for the factory bumper.

Had to speed up my decision making process and ordered a ARB Prado 120, Deluxe Bullbar. Unfortunately none were in country so the wait was on.

In the meantime I found a small company that was fanning rear ladders at a very respectable price and the quality is great IMO. The rig is mainly used for hauling the trailer for camping and exploring. But until I mod the the tongue of the trailer, I can’t fully open the rear door while hooked up. And we use the rack quite a bit and I was tired of crawling all over the door sills to get stuff up and down. This little ladder works great!

Next up was the bumper. This isn’t a direct fit due to the differences in trim packages between the Prado and GX. A bit of massaging and trimming is required but it isn’t too hateful.

First fit. Still need to wire up lights and fab some filler pieces but it fits and overall modifications were minor. Since the install we’ve had nothing but rain and we are essentially home bound. I’ll gather supplies to finish it up when the dust settles

And yes @debFJVT, those are the same COOP’s from the FJ... circa 2015 and over 50K on them. I’d be hard pressed at this point to buy another type unless I jump to the pros!
Wow that facelift on the GX looks awesome

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,108 Posts
Haha!! So I’m reading along, see the tires and wonder....then get to your mention and it was like you were reading my mind!!! Too funny ? Anyhow it’s great to hear from you and happy the deer strike turned out to be an upgrade ? FJ getting any mods??

·
トヨタ Master
7,628 Posts
Wait, you got another FJ?

221 - 226 of 226 Posts