Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

221 - 233 of 233 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
I guess I have some updates to share. Didn’t realize it had been so long...
Always busy now doing little things to the FJ and maintaining the GX.
First up, my son hit his first deer. Luckily it was a yearling and he barely clipped it. He didn’t panic, handler it well and no one was hurt! But that was the final nail in the coffin for the factory bumper.

Had to speed up my decision making process and ordered a ARB Prado 120, Deluxe Bullbar. Unfortunately none were in country so the wait was on.

In the meantime I found a small company that was fanning rear ladders at a very respectable price and the quality is great IMO. The rig is mainly used for hauling the trailer for camping and exploring. But until I mod the the tongue of the trailer, I can’t fully open the rear door while hooked up. And we use the rack quite a bit and I was tired of crawling all over the door sills to get stuff up and down. This little ladder works great!

Next up was the bumper. This isn’t a direct fit due to the differences in trim packages between the Prado and GX. A bit of massaging and trimming is required but it isn’t too hateful.

First fit. Still need to wire up lights and fab some filler pieces but it fits and overall modifications were minor. Since the install we’ve had nothing but rain and we are essentially home bound. I’ll gather supplies to finish it up when the dust settles

And yes @debFJVT, those are the same COOP’s from the FJ... circa 2015 and over 50K on them. I’d be hard pressed at this point to buy another type unless I jump to the pros!

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
I guess I have some updates to share. Didn’t realize it had been so long...
Always busy now doing little things to the FJ and maintaining the GX.
First up, my son hit his first deer. Luckily it was a yearling and he barely clipped it. He didn’t panic, handler it well and no one was hurt! But that was the final nail in the coffin for the factory bumper.

Had to speed up my decision making process and ordered a ARB Prado 120, Deluxe Bullbar. Unfortunately none were in country so the wait was on.

In the meantime I found a small company that was fanning rear ladders at a very respectable price and the quality is great IMO. The rig is mainly used for hauling the trailer for camping and exploring. But until I mod the the tongue of the trailer, I can’t fully open the rear door while hooked up. And we use the rack quite a bit and I was tired of crawling all over the door sills to get stuff up and down. This little ladder works great!

Next up was the bumper. This isn’t a direct fit due to the differences in trim packages between the Prado and GX. A bit of massaging and trimming is required but it isn’t too hateful.

First fit. Still need to wire up lights and fab some filler pieces but it fits and overall modifications were minor. Since the install we’ve had nothing but rain and we are essentially home bound. I’ll gather supplies to finish it up when the dust settles

And yes @debFJVT, those are the same COOP’s from the FJ... circa 2015 and over 50K on them. I’d be hard pressed at this point to buy another type unless I jump to the pros!
Wow that facelift on the GX looks awesome

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,424 Posts
Haha!! So I’m reading along, see the tires and wonder....then get to your mention and it was like you were reading my mind!!! Too funny ? Anyhow it’s great to hear from you and happy the deer strike turned out to be an upgrade ? FJ getting any mods??

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Finally got the GX out with the Keystone Cruisers for a monthly ride. She did well but still not used to the 4.7. A few times I needed to “bump it” which turned into launching it! Muscle memory sucks sometimes... same trails, different rig.
I was too concerned about breaking something to take many pics but a great time nonetheless. Finished up most of my bumper work minus the winch. Going to upgrade to something bigger and sold my M8000. First a few pics at a local overlook at one of the state forests.

Found a decent alternative to the normal fog inserts for the ARB.

Following an 80 on 37s for the maiden voyage probably wasn’t the smartest decision.

Always a bunch of

cool rigs on every run!

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Wait, you got another FJ?
Don’t get notifications like I should but yes, picked up another 07, 6SPD for my daughter. It is still sitting pretty much stock for now minus a stereo upgrade and backup camera. She hasn’t figured out what direction she’d like to head with it yet.

·
トヨタ Master
9,920 Posts
Don’t get notifications like I should but yes, picked up another 07, 6SPD for my daughter. It is still sitting pretty much stock for now minus a stereo upgrade and backup camera. She hasn’t figured out what direction she’d like to head with it yet.
I'd recommend forward. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Some recent trips. Was recruited to pick up a side-by-side... had no idea it would be bigger than my rig! Pulled it like there wasn’t anything back there.

A late trip to the beach. Much needed week of relaxing and enjoying the ocean.

Got back just in time for peak foliage

And a late summer trip to the woods.

Not much trail time but still enjoying the outdoors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
704 Posts
I love this thread and the work you've done on your GX. It gives me ideas for my own 2008 470 that I bought a year ago (pic below). How much extra trimming did you have to do on that ARB Prado bullbar?

Reactions: CabinCruiser
221 - 233 of 233 Posts