Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok it all started Feb. 2008 when I bought my used 2008 Black Diamond FJ with 700 miles yes thats right 700 miles. The previous owner had it for 1 month and traded it in on a 09 Highlander his lose was my gain. Here is what it looked like when I brought it home, got to play in the snow the first week I had it.

Before I bought it I told my wife I would not lift it or change out the wheels and tires until the stock tires were worn out. I think she probable knew better because every 4x4 I have had except the 2001 Durango I traded in for the FJ had been lifted. By the end of Feb. I had all ready ordered a 3" OME lift(thanks to Tacozilla at TOP) and I figured since I was lifting it I would need new wheels and tires. I wanted the Mickey Thompson Classic beadlocks but after hearing about the fitment issues with the 16" ones I found a alternative 16x9 Axis Regulators with 285/75/R16 BFG AT's.

Just got home from installing OME lift.

Installed tires and wheels.

Next I decided I needed some rock rails at the time I didn't want them to stick out so I found some used ARB rails. I plan to change them out to either the All Pro's or the Bud Built sliders in the near future.

I really never liked how the factory mud flaps looked so I removed them but I after removing them I didn't like the gap that showed in the rear so I mounted the front mud flaps on the rear. I was surprised on how well they lined up.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I bought my lift and was talking to Shannon(Tacozilla)at Toyota Off Road parts he asked me if I planed on wheelin my FJ and of course the answer was yes. He told me about the TTORA take over event thats was going to happen in Harlan Ky. in Aug. So my twin 11 year old boys and I loaded up and drove the 500 miles to Harlan Ky not knowing anyone else who would be there. We pulled in the hotel parking lot to see a group of FJ's there. Got to talking with them and they were headed out to do some wheelin and invited us to tag along. Thanks again to all the Smokey Mountain Cuisers for showing me on my first time out what this thing can do and get some good pinstriping. I know they were laughing at me the whole time as I was trying to avoid the tree limbs.

While we were on the trails we just stopped for no a parent reason of course several thoughts are racing thru my head I am on a mountain in the middle of Kentucky with a bunch of people I had never meet I swore I heard dueling banjo's. We had stopped for the Wedding of NCFJ and Mrs.NCFJ.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good! I swapped out the mudflaps too when I saw your thread about it. It makes it look much better.
Thanks! Glad you liked.

That's a great start :bigthumb:

I'm glad I get to see it during it's growing stage :lol:
Thanks Terry, If it wasn't for meeting up with all the SMC'ers at Harlan it would probable look the same as it did that first time in Harlan. Tell Stacy thanks for all the great photos from Harlan, hope she doesn't mind me borrowing them.

Wow! Jon those tires look great! As does the whole rig...You have come a long way!:clap:
Thanks Heather for talking me into taking it out with you guys that first time. The pinstripes still haven't buffed out like you said they would:lol:

·
Registered
696 Posts
John your FJ is looking great. :rocker:

Looking back at those pics of Harlan brought back a lot of great memories.:)
x2

It was good to meet you at Harlan.

Keep up the mods. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
3,460 Posts
Tell Stacy thanks for all the great photos from Harlan, hope she doesn't mind me borrowing them.
No problem! That's why I take so many, hopefully I get enough of everyone that they can use them and I know not everybody has someone with them all the time taking pics of their rig for them. :)

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Dont feel bad John, she told me the same thing. Rig is really looking good, you have come a long way.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thanks Heather for talking me into taking it out with you guys that first time. The pinstripes still haven't buffed out like you said they would:lol:
Did I say that?:cowfrown: Ohhhh...I am bad? Tell you what though it still looks VERY photogenic for one with custom stripage!:clap:

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After taking it out on trails I realized I would need a little more aggressive tire. I found a used set of Copper SST's on craigslist. I also had been wanting to get some Spidertrax spacers so I figured while I had the wheels off now would be the time to add them.

While I have my street tires off I took and had the fake beadlock rings powder coated black. I know more of a bling mod then a use full off road mod but I thought they turned out great.

Some where along the way I took the front bumper wings off and installed the Lucrum BWE. These will be coming of soon my new All Pro bumper will ship next Tuesday many pictures to follow.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
x2

It was good to meet you at Harlan.

Keep up the mods. :bigthumb:
Josh, it was good to met you there too. I think we were both a little shocked that first time in Harlan and the places we took our FJ's. By the way your FJ is looking good.

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No problem! That's why I take so many, hopefully I get enough of everyone that they can use them and I know not everybody has someone with them all the time taking pics of their rig for them. :)
If it wasn't for your pics I would not have any evidence that I was there.

·
Premium Member
9,043 Posts
1 - 20 of 73 Posts