Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Johnson Valley Mine Tour Feb. 5th - Easy

I'm going to be leading a group through some of the Johnson Valley mines again. The trail route this time will be "Easy/Moderate". Most of the run will be on graded dirt roads, and there will be a lot of stockish vehicles on this run.

We'll check out some of the mine sites that have structures dating back as far as the early 1900's. We'll look at 4 sites that had been pretty active in their day. Each mine site has one or more mine tunnels that go in several hundred feet, as well as a cabin or structure of some sort still in place.

The area we will be covering is in the west end of the Johnson Valley OHV area.

There will be a lot of ground to cover so the pace will have to be at a whistle stop rate. There will be plenty of time to explore each mine areas though.

Vehicle requirements will be 4 wd and at least 265 tires. A stock FJ can do the routes, but the terrain is very rough and good off-road tires are a must. Full size spare is required.

We'll cover approx. 50 off-road miles and should be back on the road by 4:00ish. This will be a great run to bring the family and kids on.

At this point the vehicle limit will have to be set at 10 vehicles.

Tony and I talked about this run at the AAT BarBQ last year and it will be in conjunction with So Cal LOST Jeeps.

Map to meeting place
Lucerne Valley, CA - Google Maps

Other items needed:
Good Flash light
Lunch
Full tank of gas
Hiking boots
Camera
Warm jacket
CB would be very benificial. You can by a mobil type at radio shack.

Meeting place:
Hwy 247 & Camp Rock Rd - east of Lucerne.
9:00 a.m. Sat Feb 5th
CB Channel 25

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Breaker - 25, we're in!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, it should be great fun.Looking forward to revisiting these mine sites.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cool, it should be great fun.Looking forward to revisiting these mine sites.
Mike,
Is ist too late to sign up? If not I woould like to sign up with Dust Park and Silver TJ Jerry. That would be three vehicles total.
-Thanks,
Brian

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike,
Is ist too late to sign up? If not I woould like to sign up with Dust Park and Silver TJ Jerry. That would be three vehicles total.
-Thanks,
Brian
You're good, there's only 2 others so far. But bringing Dust Park is going too far.:lol:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I can not make this, as we have another day trip planned. Oh and I'm 2wd.
I have been to some of these sites on motorcycles before but am interested in the route you all take for future trip w my kids. Anybody GPS tracking this one? If not i have a SPOT TRACKER i would like to lend somebody for the day.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was wanting to keep the number to approx. 10. There will be other vehicles that will also be joining us.

I'm not sure how to do the sign up list, but the first 10 are in.:clap:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Count me in!

I'v been looking to shake down the FJ since the dealer has had it for the last three weeks of 2010.

Ryan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mike,
-Thanks,
Brian
Mike,
I guess I got the routs confused. TJ Jerry, Dustpark and I will be on the run led by E-rocker. We will be meeting up with your group at the start but will be doing some cross country roads for the day. This will free up three spot on the Extreme mine tour.
Sorry for the confusion.
-Brian.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re: Johnson Valley Mine Tour Feb. 5th - Easy

Hi is it too late to sign up? I would like to join you. Please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JCHDIAZ you should be OK

It looks like it will be a perfect day in the desert, at least weather wise - upper 60's and 5 mph wind. Looking forward to this Sat. We might have a couple of mining experts along to give details of the mines and the area. A CB will be very helpful for this run.

Looking forward to seeing everyone on Sat. We'll try to leave Camp Rock Rd & 247 shortly after 9:00. Again be sure to bring a good flashlight for the mines.

CB Channel 25

1 - 20 of 24 Posts