Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I am installing my front and rear jounce shocks... among other things. The instructions look pretty straight foreword. Anyone who has done this have any pointers or suggestions that may make it go smoothly? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, we got the front done with no problems. I wish I would have worn long sleeves.... the shower of sparks wasn't the greatest. They look and feel great!
We also did the ICON front long travel, light racing UCA, and Allpro sway bar links. It all went pretty smoothly. I just need to get a slightly longer bolt for the total chaos skid to make room for the bolt securing the jounce foot.

Before:

During:

After:

A HUGE thanks to Excrement and TiTank.

·
Premium Member
17,153 Posts
Looks great! I plan on installing my Light Racing UCA this week. Thanks for sharing. Chris

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! It was really a lot of fun. Especially considering that six months ago I could only change tires and oil. This forum and the wonderful people who frequent it are amazing. I have learned so much it isn't funny... and i still have a TON to learn. Again, I have to give mad props to Lance and Don. i cannot speak highly enough of those guys.

It is crazy what a difference That setup made.... and I haven't even had it aligned yet! Those Light Racing UCAs are the shiz. I never realized how much I wandered until i got those on. Makes everything really tight and crisp.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It sure made for a long day, but the final result was worth it. Call me and let me know how the alignment and bead locks work out on Monday. Hope you enjoy it. Thanks again for lunch!

·
Registered
505 Posts
What are jounce shocks used for?

Looks good, btw.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What are jounce shocks used for?

Looks good, btw.
They replace your bumpstops and protect against bottoming out and improve handling overall in situations where they become engaged. Basically you can worry a little less about those really hard hits or catching some air.

We used a good about of thread lock. What parts in particular should get extra goo?

·
Registered
371 Posts
They replace your bumpstops and protect against bottoming out and improve handling overall in situations where they become engaged. Basically you can worry a little less about those really hard hits or catching some air.

We used a good about of thread lock. What parts in particular should get extra goo?
What shocks are you using in the rear? I had Radflo build me 2.5 rears, that are the same length and travel as the Donahoes and my shocks bottom out about 1" before the jounce shocks bottom.Because on the first test run, I wondered why the rear bottomed so hard and I only used 5/8" of travel on the Jounce , instead of the 1.5". So I'm going to have to order Lightracings 1" extension for mine.I don't think if they worth what I paid for them , but we'll see. The inside of my front tires(265/75-16 BFG m/t on TRD wheels and no spacers) rub the Jounce shock bracket when the my steering is at full clock and the suspension is at full droop.

If you havn't installed the rears yet , just be really carefull when using spring compressors(especially if they are from HarborFreight).

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Use thread-lock (LockTite) on both the jounce threads and the top bolts that hold them on.

I lost two. One front that vanished somewhere on the trail and one rear that banged around in the coil spring. So the rear wasn't really lost, it just unthreaded.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Use thread-lock (LockTite) on both the jounce threads and the top bolts that hold them on.

I lost two. One front that vanished somewhere on the trail and one rear that banged around in the coil spring. So the rear wasn't really lost, it just unthreaded.
X2

Locktite is a must, I had a front fall off somewhere on trail.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
All good info guys.... Thanks. I"ll squirt some more thread lock on them.

At the moment i"m running the OME medium rear, but I don't have the rear jounce shocks in yet. I'm waiting for ICON to release their new remote res. rear shocks.

·
Premium Member
6,865 Posts
Rear install is easy compared to front. The driver side striker plate can be a little hard to tighten all the way but still not hard.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Rear install is easy compared to front. The driver side striker plate can be a little hard to tighten all the way but still not hard.
Sweet. The front wasn't too hard as much as time consuming. The worst part was figuring out the order in which to tighten the mounting bolts for the assembly. If you didn't do it in the right order, you couldn't tighten them down all the way because one bolt would get in the way of another.

I'm having a really hard time understanding how you are rubbing the mounting bracket. I have tons of clearance.... The tire would hit other stuff before it hit the jounce shock bracket. Are you running huge tires? Could you show some pics of the clearance you have at full tilt when not compressed?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts