Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I checked the suspension threads for updated information on Jounce Shocks (used to be called Chubbies - and still are in some quarters). I didn't find much about them and thought I'd add this as an FYI to anyone who is interested.

The JounceShocks form the backbone of a secondary suspension system that dramatically increases the capacity of the FJ's vehicle suspension. Driving off-road the FJ won't feel as though it's bottoming. It also feels as if it's moving up and down less when the JounceShocks are added.

Front

Rear

As Light Racing advertises, "When the suspension compresses it drives the shaft of the JounceShock into the JounceShock body. The shaft compresses the nitrogen volume and since the nitrogen is in a closed cylinder, the nitrogen pressure increases dramatically as it compresses. This gives a smooth exponential increase in force (like an air spring) instead of the force spike that occurs when typical suspension systems bottom out. The valving inside the JounceShock is designed such that after the JounceShock has compressed the suspension falls away faster than the JounceShock can extend. Therefore all of the energy that was put into compressing the JounceShock is dissipated by the valving rather than pushing the suspension back out. This is a key factor in why the JounceShocks are so effective for high energy absorption and vehicle control."

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/32237-meet-scorpion-uphills-build-up-6.html#post546145 (Why I decided to go with jounce shocks) - much the same as this thread

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/member-build-ups/32237-meet-scorpion-uphills-build-up-6.html#post546145 (install info) - much the same as this thread

I planned to do the install myself and spoke with Jason Demello about it since Light Racing told me that it was a bolt-on solution.

Not really a bolt-on solution. I'm glad I had Jason and crew do the work. I hung out at the shop and watched them cut the OE units off and install the new ones - 3.5 hours for Jason and Jack to do the install. It would have taken me 15 hours working in my garage if I hadn't hung myself from one of the rafters first. The install on the front Jounce Shocks is "tricky" because of the way you need to cut off the OE and the bolt-on process is almost more art than science. The rear Jounce Shock install isn't tough at all.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Beautiful... but a question.. will this help keep you from stuffing a tire into the wheel well when you hit something too big for the suspension? Does it limit articulation?

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
Beautiful... but a question.. will this help keep you from stuffing a tire into the wheel well when you hit something too big for the suspension? Does it limit articulation?
No, trust me you can still push them pretty far (read, rub inner fender to death still)

Which anwsers second No, no loss of travel.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which anwsers second No, no loss of travel.
Correct- Absolutely no loss of travel. With all of the frame cracking/bulging issues, the jounce shocks are there to reduce the jarring stress on the FJ. So far, no bulges or cracks.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I've had the jounce shocks on my FJC for about 6 months, and I like the smoother control off-road on desert roads, etc... Definitely no lose of articulation - but they also will not prevent inner fender well cracking / bulging, as my FJC developed the cracking after I installed the jounce shocks.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Yeah I echo the previous comments 100%.

I heard somewhere that Donahoe is not selling these anymore, but theirs were these Light Racing units just rebadged.

I loved the performance and they had a great way of keeping you down low and preventing a ton of rebound. I felt like a shark cruising along the ocean bottom instead of a kangaroo.

I would still have them if I wasn't doing the LT. I wish I could have used them but Jason didn't want to mess with custom bracketing them onto the TC arm.

However I was never able to get them adjusted accurately; I hope since Jason did mine he got the full story on adjusting them since then. At the time nobody knew exactly where to set them.....

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Thanks Larry for the info. I am looking into these myself with my DR setup. But yours and Todd's post brings a question in mind. If Todd had a problem dialing them in and Jason had a bit of a rough time doing the install, I’m a little hesitant due to finding someone that would be able to install them correctly. I understand they claim that they are “bolt on” but it sounds that this is really not the case. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. :)

P.S. Todd did you sell your Chubby’s yet? I can’t remember if you sold them. If you haven’t PM me.

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
Thanks Larry for the info. I am looking into these myself with my DR setup. But yours and Todd's post brings a question in mind. If Todd had a problem dialing them in and Jason had a bit of a rough time doing the install, I’m a little hesitant due to finding someone that would be able to install them correctly. I understand they claim that they are “bolt on” but it sounds that this is really not the case. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. :)

P.S. Todd did you sell your Chubby’s yet? I can’t remember if you sold them. If you haven’t PM me.
Jason did Todds first. took some time as he checked alignment on front bracket, in doing so it involved taking apart most of front end, check swing, rebuild, recheck, back apart... I had mine on right after. Trust me I was told the "fun" involved. Being these were first few, Jack and Jason have it down pat (mainly where to put the stike plate) was the pain..

As far as adjustments, it's really easy just trial and error...2 screws. Also, now with the improved strike pad (hard rubber instead of delrin) even softer and quieter.

These will REDUCE some impact, but keep in mind (AHEM) you still can't jump off a dead drop on side of a desert road, or clear a short pack of whoops you just saw an ATV come out of...:)

I must admit, getting a chubbie won't help you hide your bulge.:bananahump-slvrathl

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Jason did Todds first. took some time as he checked alignment on front bracket, in doing so it involved taking apart most of front end, check swing, rebuild, recheck, back apart... I had mine on right after. Trust me I was told the "fun" involved. Being these were first few, Jack and Jason have it down pat (mainly where to put the stike plate) was the pain..

As far as adjustments, it's really easy just trial and error...2 screws. Also, now with the improved strike pad (hard rubber instead of delrin) even softer and quieter.

These will REDUCE some impact, but keep in mind (AHEM) you still can't jump off a dead drop on side of a desert road, or clear a short pack of whoops you just saw an ATV come out of...:)

I must admit, getting a chubbie won't help you hide your bulge.:bananahump-slvrathl
Thanks for the info..But, I don't have Jason down the street from me :( I wish I did...and he's probably glad I'm not :D I would be at the shop all the time I'm afraid, and now that I think about it, I wouldn't be married long too, spending every dime, giving to Jason :D Did Jason make a template for the install of the Chubby’s to people that purchase from across the country? Thanks :)

·
Banned
1,538 Posts
Not sure about template. I know the light racing guys have been on here and other places sharing/checking info. That's where the softer cups came from. They may have updated the instructions, but truly not that hard.

Not sure about Todds, but my front bumps were both bent up (used to align bracket that goes over half of this part.) This may have added to install time.
Remember, the guys that NEEDED them got them first!
They are a perfect add on, worth it all the way. The rears alone saved my butt BIG TIME. The impact plate on the rear also serves as a rear spring retainer. I had issues with my springs (sag, really short) and would of fallen out!!!!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Shadow you won't believe this but I actually don't know if my rear Chubbs are still in there. I'll check at the body shop tomorrow. The fronts are long gone.

The issue I had with adjustment was not how to adjust them, it was what to adjust them to...! Must be simple though and Savvy's gotta know.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Shadow you won't believe this but I actually don't know if my rear Chubbs are still in there. I'll check at the body shop tomorrow. The fronts are long gone.

The issue I had with adjustment was not how to adjust them, it was what to adjust them to...! Must be simple though and Savvy's gotta know.
Thanks Buddy :)

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info..But, I don't have Jason down the street from me :(
There's a house down the street from me that's for sale. You too could live within driving distance from Jason's... but the temptations to mod would be even greater.

I wouldn't be married long too
I don't know how long I'll be married. She'll get everything BUT the FJ.:(

There's just some trial and error on adjustment but I think that Jason might be willing (note that I'm speaking for him) to talk you through it. It's just a tricky install.

And right, they are no defense against a dead-drop.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts