Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Unfortunately, this humble Armada does not have any lockers nor electronic traction control devices, except the VDC is one, lol. ]
Without traction aids, sufficient clearance and HEAVY skids I think you will turn around about 2.6 miles into the trail. I'd rent a Jeep or side by side in Moab and check it out first. By the time you air down enough to actually climb, you're going to have like 6 inches of clearance. You're going to need a winch for sure.

This reminds me of the guy trying to climb Potato Salad hill 5 years ago in a stock Denali. Before he was done, and I mean done at the very bottom of the hill, one front tire was pointing north, the other south.

Just keeping it real here. Something tells me you are not really serious about doing this trail in that rig.

EDIT: When I said the Armada wouldn't make it past the 2.6 mile mark on the trail I was measuring from the trail head, NOT Highway 128. The Armada did not make it past the 2.6 mile point I spoke of. He stopped there and said, "WTH"??? So any others thinking they will be able to take a similar rig up that trail, take heed. The ledges he used his plastic ramps on were 10 to 14 inches in height, the ledges at the 2.6 mile mark are almost 30" tall.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,235 Posts
Unfortunately, this humble Armada does not have any lockers nor electronic traction control devices, except the VDC is one, lol.

Well, I hope I can find a spotter to help me. Till then, I know I may be doing some rock stacking. So, I decided to try something. This MAY not work, but I don;t have anything else, but to take it with me in cae I need it. If I do not use it, it is ok, but it may just turn out to be useful to do the steps.

I bought 2 pairs of ramps. I thought it may be thinking out of the box. But hey, if it is not needed or does not work, no problem. I will give up where I think I may truly damage something on this Armada. but I am poised to park my car on the TOP OF THE WORLD.

Oh, trust me when it comes to pics. I will take some. More like tons.

Be really careful with those ramps. I don't remember if it was this forum or one of the others that I belong to, but there was a thread I read in the last month or so of people having problems with those ramps collapsing. The big end of them just split open and dropped the vehicle especially if it was off center a tad or on uneven ground. Wouldn't want to read about someone getting hurt out there.

·
Registered
329 Posts
This reminds me of the guy trying to climb Potato Salad hill 5 years ago in a stock Denali.
Have you seen the YouTube videos of the guy off-roading around Moab in a Crown Victoria? Here's the one from Hell's Revenge:

I think he left the trunk open because that's the only way that his balls would fit.

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Last time I'll suggest it: take them off. There's absolutely no reason to have them on. They offer zero protection, and having them on could potentially cost many thousands more in damage when you hit them -- the body mounts plus the bottoms of the doors -- than what it costs just to replace them.

Good luck :bigthumb:
I agree. While I don't think the TOTW trail is all that difficult for an FJ (preferably lifted and with protection) I don't think taking that Armada with clearance hindering devices (front bumper, air dam and side steps) is a good idea at all. BTW, the poser spot is at the end of the loop, the half way point.

You WILL damage lots of plastic. You WILL not be happy. You WILL say "What the hell was I thinking ?"

My suggestions for that Armada: Shafer Trail, Long Canyon, Gemini Bridges

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Have you seen the YouTube videos of the guy off-roading around Moab in a Crown Victoria? Here's the one from Hell's Revenge:
I think he left the trunk open because that's the only way that his balls would fit.
Ha ha. Ya, that guy is a trip. I spent way too much on my rig. I think you can pick up a clean used Vic for about $800.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Unfortunately, this humble Armada does not have any lockers nor electronic traction control devices, except the VDC is one, lol.

Well, I hope I can find a spotter to help me. Till then, I know I may be doing some rock stacking. So, I decided to try something. This MAY not work, but I don;t have anything else, but to take it with me in cae I need it. If I do not use it, it is ok, but it may just turn out to be useful to do the steps.

I bought 2 pairs of ramps. I thought it may be thinking out of the box. But hey, if it is not needed or does not work, no problem. I will give up where I think I may truly damage something on this Armada. but I am poised to park my car on the TOP OF THE WORLD.

Oh, trust me when it comes to pics. I will take some. More like tons.

I use a set of those ramps on a flat concrete surface and they work well for the PURPOSE THEY WERE DESIGNED FOR.

Your just asking for trouble and may very well injure yourself, or even worse, someone else.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Any new comers going to join us on this trail run????/ Anyone, anyone??? Bueler??

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,235 Posts
It's tempting to see if I can navigate that trail in the U.S.S. Tundra. Problem is with that long bugger I'd start off and hit the photo spot on the 14th with the front end and on the 15th with the rear end.......

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It's tempting to see if I can navigate that trail in the U.S.S. Tundra. Problem is with that long bugger I'd start off and hit the photo spot on the 14th with the front end and on the 15th with the rear end.......
Haha...

BIGGUY BIGGUY BIGGUY!! If I chant it long enough will you join us???

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,235 Posts
Haha...

BIGGUY BIGGUY BIGGUY!! If I chant it long enough will you join us???
Hmm..........well start chanting and I'll let you know for sure on July 10th. >:D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Count me in.
Wonderful, looking forward to meeting all of you folks.

Just to reiterate, if it's not to blasted hot some of us are going to camp in a van (fj) down by the (Little Dolores) river.

Glad to have you aboard!!!:rocker:

Anyone else?? More the merrier.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Without traction aids, sufficient clearance and HEAVY skids I think you will turn around about 2.6 miles into the trail. I'd rent a Jeep or side by side in Moab and check it out first. By the time you air down enough to actually climb, you're going to have like 6 inches of clearance. You're going to need a winch for sure.

This reminds me of the guy trying to climb Potato Salad hill 5 years ago in a stock Denali. Before he was done, and I mean done at the very bottom of the hill, one front tire was pointing north, the other south.

Just keeping it real here. Something tells me you are not really serious about doing this trail in that rig.
I usually do not say thing just to say it and not do it. Just like this trip I am making. I am amazed at myself for deciding to make this trip out of the blue, especially after I did look at my estimated expenditure of what the trip will cost me. But I made provisions for that, so I am going. And I am seriously looking at making the drive again in July and may be lucky to meet the FJ Summit on its last day or days in Ouray, CO. But even if I do not meet them, the future trip will be my own personal adventure to Colorado and I will do Imogene Pass and other trails I feel ok doing.

As for my Armada, yes, I will love to attempt this trail. But I have to be realistic too as I am not going there to intentionally ruin the car. So, just as you mentioned 2.6 miles in, if I do get there and yes, it is more than I can handle, I will do the rational thing of turning around.

It is my first time to Moab and first time trying to push my Armada to try a more difficult trail. I don't know much about the trails, but thankfully the books I bought seem to give me some very good info. I am definitely looking at the easy trails in the book and trying to find out which ones to do. And which moderate ones I could do. I may not have enough time on the 7 days trip of which 4 days is full driving from Texas to Utah and back.

I am drawn to this trail mainly because of that poser spot. It just has a great view.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I agree. While I don't think the TOTW trail is all that difficult for an FJ (preferably lifted and with protection) I don't think taking that Armada with clearance hindering devices (front bumper, air dam and side steps) is a good idea at all. BTW, the poser spot is at the end of the loop, the half way point.

You WILL damage lots of plastic. You WILL not be happy. You WILL say "What the hell was I thinking ?"

My suggestions for that Armada: Shafer Trail, Long Canyon, Gemini Bridges
You are right about plastic on my front bumper. It sits a little too low. But I will see.

Thanks for the suggested trails. Looking at the book I have, I had those marked as good trails to attempt. They fall under the EASY category and I am ok with that. Though I am also looking at Hell's Revenge too. Just somewhere I can go on some inclines and go back down, like that Crown Victoria. Just a safe part I can venture on and turn around without venturing into any difficult spots.

I am not trying to push myself too much, but I am definitely wanting a little challenge on the trails. Challenges I can hopefully overcome.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Don't get too hung up on the poser photo. I'd absolutely love a picture of the belly of my FJ in the middle of the Escalator on Hell's Revenge, but I'm not even tempted to try it. Some times it's just cheaper, easier and better to Photoshop things we want in life.

At least you admit that you will in fact TURN AROUND if things get dicey. Frankly, I would follow Woodsmans advice and do Gemini Bridges first. The initial climb is a bit more difficult than Schaefer and Long Canyon but WAY easier than TOTW or Hells Revenge.

You will not get 500 yards down either of those without at least destroying your air dam. In fact, you wont get 5 feet on H. R. w/o scraping it.

You are a grown man, do what you will. We are just trying to give you some guidance because we have been there and done that and hate to see folks tear up their rigs, especially clean, nice looking ones like you have. Speaking of which, I think it's cool you have installed that roof rack and those extra lights.
Again, take lots of pics and have fun.

·
Registered
329 Posts
some of us are going to camp in a van
When my kids were in Boy Scouts, we used to call that "sleeping in the metal tent". :zzz:

I'd absolutely love a picture of the belly of my FJ in the middle of the Escalator on Hell's Revenge, but I'm not even tempted to try it
Agree with this 100% - my wife has already nixed the "Tip Over Challenge" (just based on the name alone - she knows how I like challenges!), and I have seen enough videos of the Escalator (or Moab Rim, or Golden Spike, etc) to know that I don't want to try those.

With age comes wisdom - "There are old FJers, and there are bold FJers, but there are no old, bold FJers"

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I usually do not say thing just to say it and not do it. Just like this trip I am making. I am amazed at myself for deciding to make this trip out of the blue, especially after I did look at my estimated expenditure of what the trip will cost me. But I made provisions for that, so I am going. And I am seriously looking at making the drive again in July and may be lucky to meet the FJ Summit on its last day or days in Ouray, CO. But even if I do not meet them, the future trip will be my own personal adventure to Colorado and I will do Imogene Pass and other trails I feel ok doing.

As for my Armada, yes, I will love to attempt this trail. But I have to be realistic too as I am not going there to intentionally ruin the car. So, just as you mentioned 2.6 miles in, if I do get there and yes, it is more than I can handle, I will do the rational thing of turning around.

It is my first time to Moab and first time trying to push my Armada to try a more difficult trail. I don't know much about the trails, but thankfully the books I bought seem to give me some very good info. I am definitely looking at the easy trails in the book and trying to find out which ones to do. And which moderate ones I could do. I may not have enough time on the 7 days trip of which 4 days is full driving from Texas to Utah and back.

I am drawn to this trail mainly because of that poser spot. It just has a great view.
I still say you could have driven up Christmas Mountain with us. But it was great having you as my passenger :)
I think you need to drive up to Gilmer and join me at Barnwell Mountain sometime. That way you can test some of the harder stuff than what we had in Big Bend.

Are you going alone on this trip? I wouldn't suggest attempting this trail without another vehicle wheeling with you. Make sure you have some good recovery gear.

Have fun and I want to see the pictures too!

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
+1 I have done TOTW (not in FJ) with Bridgestone Revo II's
You are probably a better driver than most.

As do all trails, this one changes. We were there on our bikes last month as previously mentioned. There were so many dirt bikes, quads and side by sides racing up and down it, the rocks were covered in a thick blanket of dirt. Even with good tires a guy in a 4 runner couldn't get up the first real obstacle. Trust me, this guy was REALLY motivated to get to the poser cliff, he stacked rocks and spun his azz off. Wouldn't air down tho.

That being said, I ran it in the snow in my Jeep and walked right up it.

Good (low pressure) tire placement and handy skinny peddle work should get you up it as long as you have the clearance needed.

21 - 40 of 381 Posts