Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 381 Posts

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Although it is a completely different type of trail, here is @petitfrerearmada on the Black Gap in Big Bend National Park.

The only place he didn't go with us, was up Christmas Mountain. The property owners thought he was too long of a wheel base. I think he would have made it just fine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I still say you could have driven up Christmas Mountain with us. But it was great having you as my passenger :)
I think you need to drive up to Gilmer and join me at Barnwell Mountain sometime. That way you can test some of the harder stuff than what we had in Big Bend.

Are you going alone on this trip? I wouldn't suggest attempting this trail without another vehicle wheeling with you. Make sure you have some good recovery gear.

Have fun and I want to see the pictures too!
I have someone riding with me on this trip.

Thanks for giving me a ride up that Christmas Mountain. It was a great view. My feelings were really hurt when they said my Armada was not allowed. LOL, I felt discriminated against. I am not kidding you. For real. I just have never mentioned it or expressed it. But hey, it is their property and I had to obey their rules. So, the Armada stayed parked at the bottom of the hill.

But when we made the trip, I mean, that trail is so easy my Armada would have had no problems anywhere on that trail. You know we talked about that. Too bad they singled out my FAT Armada as a no-go on that Hill. Well, with the Tahoe.

I would like to join you in Barnwell sometime. I have heard a lot of stories and seen a lot of great pics and videos. My cousin in Dallas just gave birth and I have to go see her, so I will see if I can fit a day of wheeling in my trip, whenever I choose to go visit her. Hopefully it is a day you can go out and play too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My wife and I will be joining for TOTW if its ok. It will be our second trip to Moab and our first doing TOTW.

How does TOTW compare to Elephant Hill difficulty wise?

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
My wife and I will be joining for TOTW if its ok. It will be our second trip to Moab and our first doing TOTW.

How does TOTW compare to Elephant Hill difficulty wise?
Right on. You are on the list. It will be my first time doing TOTW in my FJ so we will help each other out. We are getting a great group of folks lined up now. I'm excited. Hopefully we will get a few more to join us.

I have not done Elephant Hill but someone will chime in. According to what I have heard I believe TOTW is a much easier trail.

Welcome Aboard!!!:rocker:

·
Registered
124 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
@PetitFrereArmada, with all due respect - this thread is specifically for people who are planning a trip to TOTW for mid-July. This is not an appropriate place for you to talk about plans and progress for your own personal trip, and you are cluttering up this discussion with off-topic postings that I personally find distracting (since I am actually planning to go on the July 14 trip). There is a separate forum for en route and/or completed expeditions, and that is where you should be posting your own stuff. Thank you for your consideration.

·
Registered
124 Posts
@Moab Junky

I completed TOTW today.

I could not find the area where people pose for pics. I went past the end of the trail. I made a uturn and went to the spot where I guess should be the end, but I could not find the exact spot where people pose. Can you take a look at the pics on my thread and tell me if that is the spot?

·
Premium Member
8,986 Posts
@Moab Junky

I completed TOTW today.

Can you take a look at the pics on my thread and tell me if that is the spot?
I can't find another thread. It is hard to believe you ran the whole trail loop and missed the viewpoint.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I can't find another thread. It is hard to believe you ran the whole trail loop and missed the viewpoint.
I'm thinking he may have gone down the Kokopelli.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yes sir. I ran the whole TOTW in my stock Armada. I got some pics to share. It was definitely not an easy ride. But then again, if a trail is labeled as difficult, you do not expect it to be easy. I got banged up pretty hard and got a few scars, but if there is any true offroader there, I am sure he or she has some scars.

This is the link for you to view the pictures...

Road trip/Adventure/offroading to Utah and Colorado... - Page 4 - Expedition Portal

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well, I guess our good luck worked, kinda.

If you turned right at the sign in your pic, you were on the trail.
It's a long bumpy trail from there.
Did you have to go up any 2' ledges?
Oh YES. Your goodluck did work. I needed goodluck wish on this trip as I truly thought I was going to lose a part, but I did make it ok.

Let me share all my pics here so you can easily follow it.

I made sure I took as many pictures as I could. Yes, I did get to the sign. It clearly marks TOWT is on the right. I did that. I got to the tough part and I met a man camping and he confirmed it and before his confirmation, I have the book that I followed to the T. It was on point and I was on point.

The trail is a total distance of 9.6 miles. To get to 5.2 is a piece of cake. I did 10.7 on my odometer. When I got to 9.6, I could not recognize anything or see it as the top so I kept on going. When I got to 10.7, I decided I had definitely passed it, I calculated to drive back 1.1 miles to get me at 9.6. I did that. I got there at 8pm. I was a little worried since I was the only one on the trail and it was getting dark. I quickly took some pics and put on my spot lights for my decent.

If you own that Moab book, the author clearly states where to reset your odometer to 0. I did that and got to the fence and my odometer was reading 5.2. I got past the sign and the road became ugly and started hitting me from below with some serious blows, but I was not faced. I almost backed down, but I felt I was at the point of no return so I forged ahead. I banged the under of my car pretty hard a few times, but I also did some maneuvers that were pretty impressive.

And yes, I went up the 2' ledges. My Armada could not go up on stock height. Yes, I used the ramps 3 times and it worked like a champ. Ramp, 4Lo, first gear and a little momentum I was up the ledge like no man's business.

Here are my pics on the trail.

I turned right here. No mistakes here.

If you get to this fence, your odometer should be reading 5.2. So, you are halfway to the top. But it starts getting really ugly after this. And if you get to this fence, then you are on the TOWT trail, not Kokopelli trail. No errors here.

My Armada starts getting some real beating from TOTW trail. I was all alone. I step out and spot for myself and get back and drive. You can tell from the picture I am burning rubber as my tires are all black and the air is filled of burning tire.

I met some very step areas that with no lift, my bumper was taking A LOT of beating. I managed forcing the Armada on most of them, getting a few scars, but at some that I considered impassable, I used the ramps I bought and I got up as easy as nothing. I used my ramps at 3 good spots.

·
Registered
124 Posts

As humans we truly can make mistakes some times, but this is one of those situations where I am 100% certain I went up TOWT. No mistakes here.

The 2 things that confirm it;
I turned right here to go to TOWT

If you get to this fence, your odometer should be reading 5.2. And this confirms you are on TOWT. Also, I have the authors book and that guy did some great work. I read what he wrote and everything he mentioned confirmed to me I was on the right track. No errors here as I did my ascend up TOWT.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I went 10.7 miles according to my odometer. I made a uturn and came and stopped here which according to my calculations is 9.6 and should be the top of the trail. That is why I asked if anybody recognizes this. Sadly, we don't have anybody going up who could check when he gets to this same spot to report what his odometer says and if this is the end of the trail for TOWT.

I wish someone who does this can take same picture here and confirm with me. I am still in Moab, but doubt I would want to do the drive up there again or I would shoot for it again a second time tomorrow. I almost flipped my car today doing the easy Long Canyon trail. It was crazy.

My last pic on the trail as I started my decent. It was a hair raising run, but a good run.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Dude, if you almost "flipped" on Long Canyon you really need to consider running some easier trails.

Just read your post on the other forum. Congrats on the outing. Sorry you missed the rock out cropping. The trail is a bit disjointed and mostly rock right there. GPS should have got you on it though. Anyway, hope the front bumper isn't too scuffed up and the under carriage is OK. I have a feeling you will have some steel bumpers and skids on for the next go around.

Cheers!!! MJ

·
Premium Member
8,986 Posts
I don't know where you were but that is not the end of the TOTW loop. When you get to the end where the poser rock is you are driving only on rocks and you are on a high point. Nevertheless, congratulations for getting to wherever you were. :lol:

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,836 Posts
Any new comers going to join us on this trail run????/ Anyone, anyone??? Bueler??
I really wanted to try to make this bro but I'm going all in to get my FJ40 ready for the Jeep Safari next March and that's taking some serious coin and considerable time. Hopefully I can make Ouray after that though, I'ld love to make it up that way and wheel with you guys sometime!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I don't know where you were but that is not the end of the TOTW loop. When you get to the end where the poser rock is you are driving only on rocks and you are on a high point. Nevertheless, congratulations for getting to wherever you were. :lol:
That makes sense what you say. I was hoping to meet an area as you described where it will be evident it is the top. But sadly, I don't remember seeing any evident place.

But I just took this picture from the author's book that I have and I used. You can see it says from the highway to the end of the loop is 9.6 miles. I drove for 10.7 miles and I did not recognize what spot is the end of the trail. So, I don't know now for sure if I did pass that spot or maybe never got to it. But if I drove for 10.7 miles, then I know I passed it somewhere.

This may make me go back up there tomorrow. But I don't know how much beating I want to give this my Armada again on this trail.

41 - 60 of 381 Posts