Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

July Corpus Christi Beach Run - Padre Island National Seashore

7K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  BigBaddWolf 
#1 ·
It's time to discuss a July beach run down PINS. See the other CC beach run thread for more pictures and info about the park.

Who is interested?

What day works best for you?

Just about any Saturday is good for me.:bouncy:

See less See more
#2 ·
I am in!! A couple guys from the fourm were talking about going somewhere the weekend of the 19th and 20th so we might want to deconflict with that. Other than that i am open how about the weekend after? I will keep looking for more details. :clap:

#3 ·
Hey Lee, I told Mat/Pearlbeer to look you up. He was at Boulder Creek and he is headed your way this weekend to do some fishing. I may be headed that way for work in the next few weeks as well.

#11 ·
I just got back from PINS and wanted to say that it was worth the drive time. We made sure that we were traveling around low tide time coming and going. No problems with the drive and it took us around 2 hours to do the 60 miles to the Mansfield jetty. If you like to surf fish, bring your poles. We caught one nice sized red drum and whole bunch more red drum that were too small to keep. I also caught my first shovelhead shark. The sand was kinda thick between the 20 to 30 mile posts, but not difficult. It was also cool enough to sleep at night and about 83 high for the day. We didn't see any turtles, but did see a few vehicles on turtle patrol. We'll be back. :bigthumb:

Thanks again for posting the helpful information.

Attachments

#13 ·
Glad you had a good time, FJforMe. The fishing has been great lately. Next time, bring some top water lures to go after the trout in the wade gut between the 5 and 30 mile markers on your way down the beach. The Skitter Walk and SuperSpook lures in bone color with red head are yielding the best results.

#14 · (Edited)
I was down at PINS this weekend for some light wheeling/fishing.

We caught two very large southern stingray. 90+ lbs each. Seaweed was fairly heavy, making fishing conditions difficult but not impossible.

Wheeling conditions were fine. We camped about the 28 mile mark. Sand was a bit fluffy from 20-30, but other than that, easy.

There was a Rubicon Forum run out there as well - about 10 nice Jeeps were running the beach. They said that the only slightly tricky conditions were miles 20-30. One guy complimented me on my lift, so those Rubicon guys aren't all as bad as you think. :lol: Clear the rest of the way to Port M.

#16 ·
wow sharks come in that close to the water?!? wow I need to be a little careful swimming far out at times, especially when the water is so muddy.

I am on the rubicon forum also, yeah we're pretty nice folks. I think that rubicon owners are actually a bit more mature as a group than typical jeepers.

#17 ·
One of the guys on the fishing forum stated that he heard that the Jeeps were coming, like it was some kind of infestation or assault that would destroy the beach. I got called out as an authority on OHV clubs, though I'm not one. I thought that was funny, but figured I would take the opportunity to tell them that, in my experience, OHV enthusiasts generally leave a smaller footprint than fishermen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.