Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a Winplus jump start/Power Bank at Costco for about $35. I used it to charge my phone several times, but was withholding judgement until I had used it to jump start. Today, I was a hero when my boss needed a jump for his diesel powered car. The power bank had been sitting unused for at least a month but worked like a champ. I will definitely keep this in my preparedness quiver.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've got a couple of those. Bought myself one a couple years ago and have used it a couple of times and love them. My Mom then got me one for Christmas, thinking she finally found me something that I didn't already have. Well she was wrong, but it was good, because I now had one for each of my vehicles.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a 2nd battery setup for this purpose (as well as other purposes).. If my main battery dies, there's a button below my steering wheel that bypasses the main battery and uses the backup battery as the startup.
Cool set up, but I doubt I will ever do it. I have read numerous threads on here about 2nd batteries, but I just can't see putting the time and resources into it. I have even driven militarized Tacomas with bullet- resisted doors and glass and a second battery set up. Clearly there are legit needs for this set up under extreme conditions, but these little power banks have evolved to the point that I can't personally justify the aux battery kit.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Just picked up one from Amazon with a cigarette lighter socket. Nice to have a small, portable power supply. I've tested a few high draw lights and horns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Desert Moderator
6,634 Posts
How long do these bad boys hold charge?

·
Desert Moderator
6,634 Posts
I left one untouched for 9 months and it still had 3/4 charge.

I usually eyeball it and top it off before a trip.
Just thinking about how long they would last in the back of the wife's car. The other concern is how they cope with heat...

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
My wife's old car had a slow drain (new car now). She went to Italy for 3 weeks and when she got back her battery was smoked. She used her power pack to start the car 3 or 4 times at least before she drove 3 hours back the next day. Definitely a winning piece of equipment.

Last week we returned from 10 days in Cancun. For some reason my FJ was dead (not sure why but a friend said he had started it a few days prior. I think he left a door ajar or something). I haven't topped off my power pack in months so I didn't even try it. AAA came out to give me a jump and he used a small power pack just like mine lol. Worked like a champ on the FJ no problem.

Reactions: amaclach

·
Desert Moderator
6,634 Posts
Alright - I'm gonna pick a couple up!
The wife's car lives underground when it's at home so the battery lasts a bit longer than the FJ which lives outside at work and at home (at least until I get round to fixing & selling the MINI...).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm just not that bright some days. Mounted the switch for my off road lights in just the perfect place to whack it with a knee about twice a month thus kicking on the lights that are on a hot circuit. Come back to find a well lite driveway and a dead battery. Got on of these little buggers from Amazon and saved the day a few times. Now that the brain cells kicked in and I moved the switch it gets a lot less use but still rides in the FJ next to the compressor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts