Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to purchase a Jumping Jack Trailer. Anyone in here have one or know anyone that has one. Looking for some feed back. The ups and downs of the Jumping Jack... Is it worth the 5k

Martin

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
It appears to be a angle iron trailer. Fine for running on roads, but not designed for serious off road. If you are using it for travel to the trail head and camping there, it will do an excellent job.

Building trailer for over 6 years, I have learned to stay away from angle iron like the plague. Once it bends it is done, box tubing trailers are much stronger and retain their original design much much better. There are numerous builders that do that. Adventure Trailer builds and excellent one, but the price is considerably more. You can also try Aspen Trails Trailers, same quality as the AT but more reasonably priced. 951 692 0958.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have been looking into these as well. I think it really depends on what you want out of the trailer. I am not sure how well it would work for an expedition trailer as skersfan mentioned, but as a trail head, or heading up to flagstaff and camping kinda trailer, it would do just fine. I really like that when you are not using it camping you can use it for other junk like a trip to the land fill. For example, buying a full sized sofa that isn't going to fit on the FJ, and if you don't have a truck, then you are gonna have to get it delivered. This is where the $5k you are asking about pays off. Otherwise, if you are going to taking this thing out on the trails, get an AT.

·
Banned
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cypher your right. The trailer can be used haul other than just the tent. I have a truck but want to get rid of it. Enjoy driving the FJ more and it get the same gas mileage as my truck. Trips through the back roads above the rim makes this a perfect trailer. But I will try the trails rate 2.5 or less.

Thanks everyone for there input...

Martin

·
Registered
468 Posts
My neigbor has the smaller size, and uses the trailer portion often for home improvement. Be careful, though, he exceeded his limit and tweaked the frame. Still usable, but highly undesirable. If you plan on using it as an utility trailer, be careful with your weight and rated limits.

For less money, I bought a great used coleman TAOS and built my own sturdy utility trailer....but to each their own. :)

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
That is another question you need to ask them. What is the trailer rated for. Check the tires to see if they are rated for the same weight. Check the axle to see what is rated at.

If it is angle iron, be sure that is at least 3X3 and a quarter inch thick for main frame rails. It could be channel and that would really be required to be the same thickness. I beam would make it much stronger and less chance of bending. If you have a friend that is welder, have him look at the welds. Be sure the axle is made in America, such as Dexter or Hayes. Once it tweaks it is done. It will ruin the tires and will most likely fish tail all over the place. My guess is that they have a 2000 pound axle, with the weight of angle iron and normally wood based frame the weight you can actually carry is not that great.

I have never seen one. So what I am saying is just check it out carefully. And as some else said it will work fine for going to the trail head and camping. You will get many years out of it. But from what I have seen of it in the pictures, I would be hard pressed to take it off road no matter what the builder says he does with his.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I looked into them they are pretty neat trailers but really dont have the ground clearance and they are kind of pricey... You could really make a trail worth trailer for the same price out of a military trailer and install a roof top tent. See the link to my trailer made out of a 1975 Toyota Hilux bed, I only have about $600 into right now.

·
Registered
802 Posts
We have one and really like it, I waited a found a used one with the ad on options I wanted, Im in the process of adding a lift kit and installing my origonal fj wheels on it to match the fj. Its nice being able to store all the gear on top.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Our last trip had driving rain in a thunder storm it didnt leak a drop . The tent frame is very heavy duty and locks in place. The canvas is real heavy I believe 11oz which is heavier than those canvass wall tents outfitters use.Its really stout.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Our last trip had driving rain in a thunder storm it didnt leak a drop . The tent frame is very heavy duty and locks in place. The canvas is real heavy I believe 11oz which is heavier than those canvass wall tents outfitters use.Its really stout.
Damnit now I want one!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know that this thread has been idle ofr a while, but I wanted to add my two cents. I have had a Jumping Jack Trailer for five years now and still fall in love with it every time I set it up. IT IS AWESOME!!! Easy to use and so comfortable. The trailer is great for trailer stuff, but when you want to get out of Dodge, just hook it up, fill the cooler and you are off for a weekend of camping and comfort. It is not every day you see those two words together, but trust me.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
I know that this thread has been idle ofr a while, but I wanted to add my two cents. I have had a Jumping Jack Trailer for five years now and still fall in love with it every time I set it up. IT IS AWESOME!!! Easy to use and so comfortable. The trailer is great for trailer stuff, but when you want to get out of Dodge, just hook it up, fill the cooler and you are off for a weekend of camping and comfort. It is not every day you see those two words together, but trust me.
Cool. Any pictures you could share?..

:cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts