Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Meeting at the Tom Thumb (Citgo) just North of the Reservation along Hwy 87 at 9:30am. Any and all rigs are invited. This a fun ride with terrain to encourage beginners and challenge experienced wheelers alike. Don't shy away from this run just because your rig is stock. We have found that stock rigs can do nearly ANYTHING here at Eglin. So come on out!

Bring plenty of water and some snacks for the trail. Sunscreen and bug spray may be nice as well.

Just remember that a recreational pass is needed to wheel the reservation for the driver and ALL passengers 16 years or older. The passes are $10 for the fiscal year and come with a killer map. Passes are available at the Jackson Guard Natural Resources Office 107 Hwy. 85 North, Niceville, Fl. They are open Monday through Thursday 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Friday 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., Saturday 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Sundays and Federal holidays closed.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Argh!!! Figures it's on my weekend to work. Looks like I need to try and make a schedule swap so I can get that day off, so I should be able to make it. Ill also have my onboard air system done by then.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Count me in again as a maybe! Sorry I missed the last ride. Sure looks like fun. Is it still the consensus that I am better off on all-terrains than mud terrains after last week's ride?

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Count me in again as a maybe! Sorry I missed the last ride. Sure looks like fun. Is it still the consensus that I am better off on all-terrains than mud terrains after last week's ride?
Most definately! M/Ts are the devil out herein this sand. They just dig in while traversing the soft stuff. Plus they tend to tear up the wash-outs and water crossings. Really, the BEST tire out here are aired down light truck street tires. Next best thing is aired down A/Ts.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Alright, getting closer with the missus. This is lookin like a definite maybe. I need to know is this the right Tom Thumb? Is it just south of Hickory Hammock Road on FL-87 S? Trying to dial in mapquest/GPS.

TOM THUMB #128
4429 HWY 87 SOUTH
MILTON, FL 32583
Phone: (850) 981-9586

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I can make it again.
dbrooks
Cool. Be good to wheel with you again.

Alright, getting closer with the missus. This is lookin like a definite maybe. I need to know is this the right Tom Thumb? Is it just south of Hickory Hammock Road on FL-87 S? Trying to dial in mapquest/GPS.

TOM THUMB #128
4429 HWY 87 SOUTH
MILTON, FL 32583
Phone: (850) 981-9586
That's the one.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
Is it still the consensus that I am better off on all-terrains than mud terrains after last week's ride?
Most definately! M/Ts are the devil out herein this sand. They just dig in while traversing the soft stuff. Plus they tend to tear up the wash-outs and water crossings.

So, did I really tear the place up that bad?
I do plan to get a set of AT's for the on road/around here driving, but it will be a while. Can I still come out to play? I'll go last..

BirdMan

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll go last..
Hehehe. Naw, you didn't tear the place up. Actually I was impressed with your throttle control when you got into the sticky spots. Many of the guys who go out there get into a jam and just floor it, digging out a nice new obstacle for the folks behind. M/Ts are just more damaging in the hands of folks like that.

So, of course, you can be my wingman any day!:cheers:

·
Registered
71 Posts
hey guys im in

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm in.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, this is who I have thus far:

Me (Apexbasher)
shfd739
FJ's FJ
undertow
Birdman
yammy1
LandCruiserGarett
Invisible J

And I believe our Air Force friends with the red Jeep will be there as well.

I'll be camping out at my favorite swimming hole tucked away in the woods Friday night. Anyone interested in joining me send a PM or email.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
My brother will also be with me for what its worth. Looks like the new sliders, on board air and shifter will be in and on the truck by saturday. Just not enough time for a lift.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'll go last..BirdMan
Maybe not Birdman, Tail-Gunner Duc may be in. Ok gang, here is the deal, Angus and I may make this one. I was going to be in North Carolina Mt biking this weekend but the weather up there looks pretty bad for that. I am waiting out the weather to see right now for NC. If we do come Apex, we will camp with you Friday night! Would not want you to get lonely. Now where did I pack that pass?

My power outlet should be done for my fridge, and I MAY have my dual battery setup in by then. Wont have time for gumbo though. Well, probably not.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds good to me. I'm coordinating a meet up time for some folks coming out of Louisiana for Friday afternoon. I'll get you the time via phone, and we'll meet at the usual spot. I'll have my canine navigator there with me as well. :clap:

·
Registered
155 Posts
Anyone else bringing their kids? My 12 y/o son will be with me, we'll most likely camp out Saturday night.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
sorry All, I know I said I was going to make the next ride, But too many irons in the fire right now. Summer camps. swimming competitons, etc. But I do plan on getting there . Maybe this early fall? hope you all enjoy yourself..:mecry:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.