Registered
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They stole an entire stone block!?

Yea it's bull****. They chip away or carve into the sandstone and try to lift a chunk out including the fossil. I hadn't seen the Hells Revenge track before but suspect it is fairly small, not like a T Rex footprint :lol:

The thieves attempt to do the same with petroglyphs and pictographs to steal those too :flame:

I know of a similar one in Buckhorn Wash, UT that I'm afraid will suffer the same fate someday. It is about the size of my open hand.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
That just wouldn't have occurred to me to do. There's an area in Grand Staircase/Escalante with dino tracks (small). I never once thought about trying to take them home with me.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The accused... Who apparently threw the fossil of the Dewey Bridge into the Colorado River!?

ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1394712106.237074.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
I am glad they got the guy. I hope they make a good example of him. I am sure they didnt do it for the sole purpose of simply destroying the fossil, but that is no excuse.

·
Registered
270 Posts
He went to all that trouble to get the print then he throws it into the river. I hope the judge give him the max sentence. The real sad part is that as more and more people (a % of which are morons) come into the area we will probably hear more of these kins of stories.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hopefully the court throws the book at him.

These are the people who mess up the chance to experience these areas for everyone else. :(

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Another sad part is the guy is from Moab and should know to appreciate treasures like this.

I'm sure he just got nervous and tossed the evidence but probably bragged to friends beforehand and knew he would get caught eventually..I think the story states that he turned himself in but I'm sure he had good reason to like they were in their way to get him!

What a piece of trash this dude is

·
Premium Member
1,518 Posts
I found the fact that he's from Moab ironic as well. Steal a footprint when the entire area has thousands?

While I think he needs to be punished, 45 years seems a tad harsh. Plus I'm sure there's a huge fine (and he will probably get accessed the cost of those divers who searched the Colorado).

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
geez ... wtf ... did he throw it away or is it stashed somewhere and he'll pull it out someday after he pays "the man" so to speak ...
:thinkerg:

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
Un foking real. At least my avatar is still in place the last I saw him.

·
Registered
10,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Un foking real. At least my avatar is still in place the last I saw him.

Dude will be hacking away at the original version of your avatar within weeks of being released. Or at least he will chalk it to create a carbon copy.

It's really sad that many of the petroglyphs and pictographs I see have been vandalized with graffiti, have bullet holes, chalk, and attempts to cut it out.

Dumbasses!!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Dude will be hacking away at the original version of your avatar within weeks of being released. Or at least he will chalk it to create a carbon copy.

It's really sad that many of the petroglyphs and pictographs I see have been vandalized with graffiti, have bullet holes, chalk, and attempts to cut it out.

Dumbasses!!

That would be the most action Abo has seen in an eon or two....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts