Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm a new FJ owner, and I'd like your opinion about leveling a stock 2011 4x4 FJ. I'm not looking to raise the vehicle at all. After reading the threads I've learned that I should expect some front end sag with the stock 4x4 FJ suspension when adding the ARB bumper because the front suspension is not meant to handle the extra weight.

I'd like to level it and have the nicest ride "on-road" as possible. I'm not as concerned about heavy off road use.

I've learned that coil-overs seem to be preferred over spacers. Would you recommend Icon, SAW or some other brand to level the front? Should I replace the shocks or simply get different springs? Can I get something that's adjustable so that I can level it just perfect instead of just buying springs and hoping to get the right amount of lift?

Thanks for helping this newbie. :)

Scott

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Welcome aboard. I'd say go with Icon, and yeah, adjustable coil over that way you can dial it in to exactly where you need to be. Plus the ARB is very heavy, so if you get it set up and a year later notice it's sagged down and no longer level, you can get your spanner wrenches out and fix it right up.

·
Registered
276 Posts
pheww, just in time to run over some zombies.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
I've got the Bilstiens 5100 on the second notch and after 6 months no noticeable sag (no winch though) if it does sag I'll move to the 3rd notch and should be good to go. I'm using the stock springs and have air bag 1000 in the back springs to keep the back up and level especially when towing my 18' Stratos bass boat

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Adjustible coilovers will do what you want for leveling now and releveling in the future if you need. I went with icons and used them to level up a mostly stock rig, recently added a demello bumper and winch and the front end drooped about 4-5cm, took out the spanner wrench and within 20 min had her all leveled again. Good stuff!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I added the ARB/winch and went with Toytec adjustable coilovers and rear springs. I had big sag with the bumper and winch combo....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. Would you guys recommend replacing the shocks at the same time as adding the new springs? I'm thinking about going with the Icon coil overs in the front but I don't know if it's standard (as part of the kit) to replace the shocks at the same time.

Thanks again!

Scott

·
Registered
190 Posts
You'll love the ARB, mines held up extremely well, and since the new fit kit came out for the 10/11's it looks a lot better now too:)

Its very heavy and if you want to treat your truck right you need to upgrade the suspension, I have the OME heavy setup and it works well, I may go to an adjustable set in the front later down the road, but for now the OME does everything really well without any issues at all...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts