Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I just purchased a 2007 FJ complete base model as sort of a project car/ adventure vehicle. Any tips to the cheapest mods that you’ve done that you consider a must?
-light bars
-paint jobs
-interior add ons
-etc.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
31,583 Posts
Stickers as in free or in other words cheap. Lol!

Reactions: FJQueue

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi Bsnaves21, welcome form Ohio!
Well it depends on what you want to do with your FJ.
...However, these are really handy to have installed.
Available whenever Devon fabs a batch, which he happens to be doing right now.

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
First, don’t rush with meaningless mods.
Figure out exactly what you want your FJ to do.
Then don’t go cheap, buy the good stuff. It will last and you won’t have to do it again.

This advice is from experience. A lot of us here have done mods twice instead of doing it right the first time.

Unless, your disposable income is unlimited then buy everything you see.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,582 Posts
Welcome. If you mean the little things that make a big difference for a few $$ then swapping lights for LED’s is one of the best. If you mean major mods using cheap components then you are wasting your money. You’ll end up replacing those cheap bits down the line and it will money thrown away along with the broken stuff. Save for good quality and research what suits your needs best.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Welcome from Iowa. I see you're at a QuikTrip... Are you in Iowa as well?

I 2nd the LED interior light swap.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
Depending on mileage have you changed all the fluids? Brake, PS, Diffs, Xfer, Coolant. Plugs, filters, ect.

Looks very clean. First item I cannot recommend enough are some full floor liners like Husky or Weathertech. The Smart Tap blinker relay is pretty awesome too if you spend any time on the freeway or are used to having a highway blinker.

·
Premium Member
849 Posts
Wheelers Bump Stops, takes the edge right off those hard impacts... assuming you're making some impacts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey guys I just purchased a 2007 FJ complete base model as sort of a project car/ adventure vehicle. Any tips to the cheapest mods that you’ve done that you consider a must?
-light bars
-paint jobs
-interior add ons
-etc. View attachment 1135443
Looks like you could use some rock sliders. I bought these aluminum ones at Amazon for $120.
They bolted right up in about 45 minutes and look great. I run some really rocky trails here in Arizona and just wanted something to keep the boulders off my body work. I also bought this LED light bar kit from Amazon for under $50 and they work great. So, with minimal tools/skills you can really upgrade your FJ for under $200!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Raptor bedline the plastic wings. Didn’t do it personally but I think it looks good if done right and it’s pretty cheap compared to buying a steel bumper. Makes those Tupperware wings look actually useful!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Everyone has their own idea, but the Chi-Town 4x4 power rear window actuator remains one of my favorite mods for usability. With just the front windows down, the wind can really start to buffet! Opening the rear window makes a world of difference in windows down comfort. Open yours with the key and see.

Reactions: Uncharted

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
106 Posts
Wow, I've had my 2007 FJ for years (bought used ith 100K) and it's taken me this long to come across a few of the mods listed here!! You're getting some fantastic advice, absolutely

Fluids and fiters - Definitely change all of them, almost regardless of mileage. Start fresh. Definitely Mod #1

$120 rock sliders ... oh man, I had no idea they were this inexpensive. I have the stock running boards at the moment. But dang ... hmmm

$50 light bar and flood light kit?!?!? Damn, there goes another $50, sheesh. Awesome

$60 Smart Tap Flasher - a definite must do. I just got mine in about a month ago. Cant believe I waited this long

$13 LED dome lights. You dont know what youre missing if you dont have these, front and rear.

$110 Weathertech floor mats. I got mine a few months ago. I'm not entirely sold on them over the OEM mats, but my OEMs had seen better days. A worthwhile replacement, but I'm not sure I would throw out good OEMs in favor of these.
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser | Floor Mats - Laser measured floor mats for a perfect fit | WeatherTech

$280 power rear window. Holy hell, this is a thing? Why / how have I missed this? I never open my rear window because its such a stupid design. This is a amazing. There goes another $280, dang!

Again, great list

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Gotta agree with the guys that recommend getting up to date on all the maintenance. Put your money and effort there first. Radiator coolant, front and back diffs, brake fluid, transmission, transfer case, power steering. Check out the brakes. Get an alignment. Take a look at the belts. Spark plugs. Maybe clean the MAP sensor. Up on jacks and check the suspension for play. Check the shocks. Address any issues with a rust.

As for upgrades. Changing the interior lights to bright LEDs is a good cheap no-brainer. Drive it around off road before you decide on upgrades. It is a very capable vehicle right off the lot. None will be particularly cheap. Save some money for a winch. Expect to spend about a grand for a winch and mounting.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Bsnaves21,

My 2 cents. Tacoman99 has provided some sound advice. Go through your vehicle bumper to bumper and focus on maintenance issues. I can understand your excitement but throwing money at an assortment of mods without an overall plan can cost you more coin in the long run.

Once you've addressed all maintenance items, sit down with pen and paper and make a complete detailed plan of what you want to achieve.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I would start with lots of stickers, then full maintenance, tires, pure fj sliders, kings adjustable 2.5 with some camburg upper control arms

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts