Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man it's been a long time since I drove a NEW vehicle with a manual transmission. I like the FJ Cruiser I drove today. Nice ride and good pickup – I missed 3rd and hit 5th about three times. Lot’s of shifting but that’s Ok. It was a $30K plus Yellow 6-speed. There are a couple things I didn't like too. Passengers in back will be claustrophobic with no windows that open. The visibility is really rather poor. The space in back is limited as is the storage.

The salesman backed this 6-speed up against an 7” curb and was attempting to back it up onto the platform from which it came. Smoke rolled out from under the thing as the clutch began to burn up. Not buying that one! I want to see how I like it in Black!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have driven both and I will say that I like the responsiveness of the MT. It did take a while to stop from putting it in Reverse when I wanted to get back into first. It is set up different from my manual...

What I did notice is that with the auto when you do punch it does move nicely but you have a hard time building RPMs to give you a jump... I liked the way the manual responded downshifting for traffic better than the auto.

The clutch is not too tight and the fact that it has a kill clutch start switch on it makes it nice. I have ordered a manual and after driving both I am staying with my choice.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
driven the AT only - as cant find a MT round here. i havent driven MT for years - will probably look like a fool pullin out the lot - but f'it - nothing like a MT.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wish I could get MT with part-time 4WD.

any of you guys hear anything about different axle ratios for the two tranny options? 3.73 AT vs 3.91 MT?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Drove both. MT 4 days ago. AT today.
MT: 1st time in ages, was fun but too much work for me. Shifting is very smooth. You Do get that rpm buildup and jump. Also noiser interior cabin because of it. 4wd all the time
AT: very smooth. Much quieter in the cabin than I remembered in the MT.
faster through the corners. too. 2wd. 4wd on the fly (must shift)
both have great pick up power. Just what your use to and what you'll be using it for. I hate it when people tell me to use the search function, but I know this topic has come up before. hope that helps

1 - 7 of 7 Posts