Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the truck but being a complete moron it is hard to understand how all of my buddy's that drive older model Tundras with the V8 in them actually get better mileage then I do.

I want the power of a V8, I want to be able to tell people I drive a V8 cuz it sounds super macho and if I'm going to get about 16mpg around town at best then I might as well have a V8 to justify it instead of a super guzzling V6.

Thank you

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Sometimes a small V8 can be more efficient than a V6 that is being squeezed for everything it's got, especially if you can keep your foot out of it.

Kinda similar to the principle that a V8 with a four barrel carb can get better mileage than a V8 of the same size with a 2 barrel carb. However, if your foot is always on the floor, the four barrel will suck lots o' juice.

x2 on the diesel. BTW, it will really pi$$ me off it they come out with one after I've dumped so much money into this hog.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
diesel would be great but with diesel prices so high i dont know..

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
x3 on having a diesel. I would be having a parts removal day followed by a FJ trade inday in the diesel came in the 09

·
Registered
864 Posts
I would love a small V8. My last truck was a diesel and I got a bit tired of having to plan ahead about where I could get fuel. There are only 3 places near me that sell diesel fuel.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Why the hell does the FJ from Toyota... legend for great gas mileage... get such AWFUL mileage AND require 91 oct gas??!!! :(
It doesnt, I run 87 with no problems and get about 20+ mpg no problem. Just drive slower :)

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yea, Diesel is good and bad in my opinion.

great power, run it underwater and have fun, possibly use bio-diesel and not feel so bad about wheeling and ruining the environment.

downsides, freakin expensive as could be right now, like $5 a gallon here, the type of diesel we use in the US now isn't the same as other places in the world so a new US diesel truck can't be refueled with Mexican diesel...........thusly eliminating Baja trips

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think someone with a money tree should try dumping a Toyota V8 engine on the FJ. Maybe Air2Air's FJ could be a candidate.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Smurf, the money tree got chopped down awhile back. But you are quite right a V8 is badly needed. At the same time I am terrified that they would actually do it, which would be just my luck.

I agree that a maxed-out V6 is less efficient than a V8. I am getting 11 mpg on the average around town. However that's also driving like a bat out of hell with 5 sec. 0-60 ET's.

My friend Brian Trager at URD has a 5.7 Tundra that just flies. It's faster than my poor little 4.0 1GR FJ with every known mod thrashing itself to death. And crozhawk's 4Runner with the 4.7 was keeping up with me very well flat-out at 110 in Death Valley. The other FJ's were miles back - the 4Runner is really an impressive vehicle

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
The 4Runners get a V8 why can't we!:mecry: Shoving in a 5.7L into the FJ would make it all better though.:clap:

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 21 Posts