Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The socket, which is the "key", doesn't have an open slot for a lug wrench to attach to. I assume an installation place can put these on (maybe it fits a power wrench?) but how do I remove these things if I need to change a tire?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
The socket, which is the "key", doesn't have an open slot for a lug wrench to attach to. I assume an installation place can put these on (maybe it fits a power wrench?) but how do I remove these things if I need to change a tire?
The socket that you change your tires with fits on the key. Your probably gonna need to purchase a power handle and a socket to change them with. For me it works easier this way. U get a little more leverage and are angled out further from the wheel.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have a gorilla wrench was free with my tires/lug nuts... glad it was or I would have been asking the same question. they don't work with my tire iron (cross type - 4 different sizes on it. The AR thug lug hole is just big enough for the socket on the wrench.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same here, I have Gear Alloys and had to buy a new wrench (Gorilla). Everything fits but its so tight that if I try to remove the lugs (and put on the locking lugs), im sure im gonna put in some scratches.

I will bring it to a wheel shop (again) to finally get these locks on and then I can rest easy...until I get a flat and them im screwed lol.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Just find the right socket for the "key" and use a ratchet, breaker bar, or torque wrench.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
This? Its better than duct tape?
Yes, that is what I used.

As far as better than duct tape: (not sure I ever made that claim)
hummm durability, hell no. removablity hell yes. The tape is going to get worn and need to be replaced, to me I'll take short life for the ease of removing it.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Or you can get specific sockets that protects the lug nuts.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
actually, digger was showing me something recently.. I am now considering using it for this application. I'm not sure how it will hold up but may be worth a try. The product is a liquid rubberized paint that is made for coating wires or tools. I just picked up a can of this to do some wiring and coat a couple of tools that the crappy sleeves are lose on:

http://www.bellrpg.net/soderbloom/RV/grouppart.asp?MAJ=031&PRI=137&SEC=638&GRP= 17657
PLASTI DIP® MULTI-PURPOSE RUBBER COATING

It might be a great application to protect the rims. On the AR Thugs the lug nut holes are just large enough to get the socket type lug wrench (but not a normal tire iron) in but when you are tightening it pushes up against the rims and if you don't type it then it will scratch the teflon.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
1 - 12 of 12 Posts