Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The socket, which is the "key", doesn't have an open slot for a lug wrench to attach to. I assume an installation place can put these on (maybe it fits a power wrench?) but how do I remove these things if I need to change a tire?

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
The socket, which is the "key", doesn't have an open slot for a lug wrench to attach to. I assume an installation place can put these on (maybe it fits a power wrench?) but how do I remove these things if I need to change a tire?
The socket that you change your tires with fits on the key. Your probably gonna need to purchase a power handle and a socket to change them with. For me it works easier this way. U get a little more leverage and are angled out further from the wheel.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have a gorilla wrench was free with my tires/lug nuts... glad it was or I would have been asking the same question. they don't work with my tire iron (cross type - 4 different sizes on it. The AR thug lug hole is just big enough for the socket on the wrench.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same here, I have Gear Alloys and had to buy a new wrench (Gorilla). Everything fits but its so tight that if I try to remove the lugs (and put on the locking lugs), im sure im gonna put in some scratches.

I will bring it to a wheel shop (again) to finally get these locks on and then I can rest easy...until I get a flat and them im screwed lol.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Just find the right socket for the "key" and use a ratchet, breaker bar, or torque wrench.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Or you can get specific sockets that protects the lug nuts.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
actually, digger was showing me something recently.. I am now considering using it for this application. I'm not sure how it will hold up but may be worth a try. The product is a liquid rubberized paint that is made for coating wires or tools. I just picked up a can of this to do some wiring and coat a couple of tools that the crappy sleeves are lose on:

http://www.bellrpg.net/soderbloom/RV/grouppart.asp?MAJ=031&PRI=137&SEC=638&GRP= 17657
PLASTI DIP® MULTI-PURPOSE RUBBER COATING

It might be a great application to protect the rims. On the AR Thugs the lug nut holes are just large enough to get the socket type lug wrench (but not a normal tire iron) in but when you are tightening it pushes up against the rims and if you don't type it then it will scratch the teflon.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.