Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
So, what is the chance of one of those factory bolts being over-torqued\ruined? When we installed my Y-Pipe today one of the bolts on the Pre-cat was over-torqued and it broke off so now I only have ONE bolt holding the the drivers side precat...if this happened near the headers...it could be a SERIOUS problem, so I'm kinda worried..
so far, in over 40 header installs, i havent heard of that. i too broke that bolt when i was working on my buddies tacoma last year. i think it has to do with the super hot gases from the cats right there. ive never seen a header bolt stick. also, they are only 14 ft lbs, not the 80+ the y pipe are so its much easier to deal with. a nice soak in wd 40 should make the process easy.

Thanks Jon,

What intake is that? I know it's a Taco, but I'm curious.
its mine- its a one off that Coast2coast performance made. its pulling the air from right infront of the front tire.

·
Banned
162 Posts
I have the same problem with one of mine same side. It feels stripped so I didn't push it. I was going to get a backup stud from the dealer, does it look tuff to replace? I figured I could drill it out and thread in a new one. Do you have any blow by with just one bolt?
I'm the one who installed his Y pipe and I'm not sure how hard the bolt would be to replace. Thankfully, there aren't any leaks with just one bolt because the Y pipe fits so well, but I'll prolly get him to get a muffler shop to thread a new bolt. It was cross-threaded from the factory, so there's really nothing to do other than rethreading. When I installed my sliders, two of the pre-threaded holes on the frame were off so I had to cross-thread them on purpose. Just hope I never have to take them off...come on Toyota robots!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
well my dashboard lights went nuts again. They come on right after the CEL. Its a P0606 or something....PCM fault? Any input?
Hey Racer001,
I get all the same stupid traction control lights and stuff that show up. I am sure it is all part of the cats being removed. Let me know when you get the Sim on there and if they go away.

·
Banned
1,463 Posts
So, to just make sure I understand all of this, with the Doug Thorley Headers, you WILL get a check engine light without purchasing a 02 Simulator, but it will NOT affect your vehicle at all? And are there any good instructions of how to wire in the URD one or how exactly you plug in the Empire one? These are def going to be my christmas purchase, so I wanna make sure I'm ordering everything that I need, and I should of course order the ceramic coated ones? Do they come with a spot designated to put the 02 simulator like the Y-Pipe?

And JKJET, what do you mean "blow by" do you mean are any exhaust fumes blowing out of it? I don't believe so, but it's REALLY hard to tell but I don't believe I noticed any...it won't matter for much longer though if there is a problem, as next month I'm installing the Doug Thorleys which will replace them. But I highly doubt there is a leak, one bolt seems to be plenty and I really don't want to be drilling into my pre-cats to part of the stripped bolt out...def Toyota's fault for over-torquing that crap!

·
Registered
98 Posts
So, to just make sure I understand all of this, with the Doug Thorley Headers, you WILL get a check engine light without purchasing a 02 Simulator, but it will NOT affect your vehicle at all? And are there any good instructions of how to wire in the URD one or how exactly you plug in the Empire one? These are def going to be my christmas purchase, so I wanna make sure I'm ordering everything that I need, and I should of course order the ceramic coated ones? Do they come with a spot designated to put the 02 simulator like the Y-Pipe?

And JKJET, what do you mean "blow by" do you mean are any exhaust fumes blowing out of it? I don't believe so, but it's REALLY hard to tell but I don't believe I noticed any...it won't matter for much longer though if there is a problem, as next month I'm installing the Doug Thorleys which will replace them. But I highly doubt there is a leak, one bolt seems to be plenty and I really don't want to be drilling into my pre-cats to part of the stripped bolt out...def Toyota's fault for over-torquing that crap!
you WILL eventually (between 20-200 miles) get a check cats code. this does NOT alter the car performance, or tunning. the empire one is a plug and play, no wiring. the URD is a 5 wire splice, i dont have the directions on hand though. and yes, i would order cermaic if its available when you make your purchase. they come with all the bungs to mate to the factory sensors- the 02 simulators dont actually need a bung, since they are electronic not mechanical.

jon

·
Banned
1,463 Posts
you WILL eventually (between 20-200 miles) get a check cats code. this does NOT alter the car performance, or tunning. the empire one is a plug and play, no wiring. the URD is a 5 wire splice, i dont have the directions on hand though. and yes, i would order cermaic if its available when you make your purchase. they come with all the bungs to mate to the factory sensors- the 02 simulators dont actually need a bung, since they are electronic not mechanical.

jon
Gotcha, I doubt I'd purchase EITHER of them without a nice guide on to how to install them, I'll make sure to get ceramic, sounded like a better one anyway as it would stay cooler. Have you wired the URD sim yourself? I also heard that there is something on the exhaust system...some sensor that if you mess up it will give you horrible milage and performance...I forgot if that was one on the Y-Pipe or the Headers...do you remember which one I'm talking about?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts