Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got ceramic coating done to my FJ Cruiser. First time I had ceramic coating done to a car. Came out great so far. Will see how it holds up. The ten year old paint had some swirl marks in the clear coat from the previous owner. Detailer took care of them and the FJ looks brand new right now. Anyone else have ceramic coating done?
Here's a couple pics.
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Holy Hell a bit more pricey than I was thinking. Might have to make this a DYI project. Thanks for the info though :)
Yeah, definitely not cheap. They do a paint correction first, which is basically a clear coat correction. Fix and clean up any small scratches and remove any swirl marks. My truck had a lot of visible swirl marks under certain lighting conditions. Previous owner probably went through a lot of automated car washes is my guess. So after a full detail and buffing, they apply the ceramic coating. I never had it done before, but the price was right around what I was expecting to pay.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I’ve used Avalon King Armor Shield IX on 34 year old paint that I clay bared and DA polished, very easy to apply and people can’t believe it’s original paint.

·
Premium Member
4,908 Posts
Cerakote sells the materials so that you can do it yourself, with a little elbow grease:

You can use the Ceramic Paint Sealant kit and the Windshield kit from their home page above,

and plastic trim restorer from any number of retail sources (example below):
[/URL]

It is really something how long these treatments last, compared with the usual stuff from Turtle Wax, Mother's, Meguiars, etc. Those ones tend to last a season or two. Ceramic treatments have been lasting for many more years. The downside is once it is done there's no going back, so take your time, make sure all surfaces are very clean before starting and avoid making any visible swirl marks and then its fine.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Nice! You got off easy. I paid quite a bit more for my ceramic coating and correction. It's supposedly guaranteed for 5 years so we'll see. I am really happy with the outcome though. I also own a 2019 honda accord. I wanted to get the accord done after I saw how good the FJ turned out. So I bought a clay bar and a $25 bottle of chinese graphene coating from amazon and I did it myself. It was pretty straight forward and relatively easy to do. It turned out excellent and 6 months later it still sheets and beads water just a good as the FJ.

The trim is almost the best part of the coating process. It basically restores it to new. You can use it on just about any surface.

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
Anyone else have ceramic coating done?
I had my collector-grade NSX ceramic coated years ago, it was the best thing I ever did for that car. In 3 years I washed the car only once, every other cleaning was rinseless detail spray and a microfiber cloth. It looked amazing.

On cost: the main factor in the price of ceramic coating is the hours of polishing the car to fix the paint before you put the ceramic coating on. The actual ceramic process itself is minimal, but you have to do multiple stages of "paint correction" to get the paint to the point that you want to then put the ceramic on and preserve it.

Paint protection film (PPF / clearbra) is better for protecting the paint from damage, you can also do both PPF and Ceramic but the cost of that is $3-4K+ depending on where you live.

·
Premium Member
4,908 Posts
I had my collector-grade NSX ceramic coated years ago, it was the best thing I ever did for that car. In 3 years I washed the car only once, every other cleaning was rinseless detail spray and a microfiber cloth. It looked amazing.

On cost: the main factor in the price of ceramic coating is the hours of polishing the car to fix the paint before you put the ceramic coating on. The actual ceramic process itself is minimal, but you have to do multiple stages of "paint correction" to get the paint to the point that you want to then put the ceramic on and preserve it.

Paint protection film (PPF / clearbra) is better for protecting the paint from damage, you can also do both PPF and Ceramic but the cost of that is $3-4K+ depending on where you live.
Dang, that is one beautiful looking car! Looks almost like the Yankee Air Force hanger in Willow Run, MI.

·
Premium Member
5,224 Posts
Dang, that is one beautiful looking car! Looks almost like the Yankee Air Force hanger in Willow Run, MI.
It was a commercial hangar at the small airport in Boulder CO. You'd be amazed what a friendly handshake and "what's your favorite beer?" can get you :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts