Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the tire shop today to see if i could squeeze 285s under the fj with a 3 inch ome lift. Took about 2 seconds for me and the tire guy to realize that this was not happening. The body chop is needed for mt's so im torn to chop to get new shoes or keep the ones i got. I have to tell you the 285s did look real nice.:mecry::mecry::mecry::mecry:

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
It's all a giant chain reaction. Lift , bigger tires, different wheels, body mount mod, bumpers, winch, skids, ligh............................................... You get the point. There's no end in sight now Mike!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know its like i think im done with modding and then i have to do another mod to get another mod. I should just empty my savings now and do it all at once. But i think if i did that i would sell the truck in a year because i wouldnt have anything new to enjoy.

·
Registered
577 Posts
hmm, i am running 285's on stock alloys, with no lift and no rubbing, i am using TOYO AT'S, and mine are 17's also, 285/70/17. you say you have a 3'' lift and it still rub's ? im confucious ...

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well it would rub with mts im not sure with ats are you guys running ats i always liked the look of mts more but if i can get by without the chop with ats over mts ill do that. show pics of no rubbing i need to see also tire brand im also using 16 inch stock alloy just to let you know if that makes a difference

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
rough country and KM2's 3 inch lift no rubbing. there has to be another problem, like you reinstalled the wrong springs? did you measure the ride height before the lift and after the lift.. thats crazy..unless you have a lot of offset in your wheels..

·
Registered
124 Posts
I thought the OME lift was 2-2 1/2" maybe that has something to do with it. I measured my truck with stock tires and RC lift. From bottom center of the rim to bottom of the flare I have 31 and 1/8 inches in front and 33" in rear. Take a measurement on the OME and see what the numbers are.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
well thats nuts. i had my 3 inch rc sitting next to Ncfj with his duncraps on, and his sits higher. so i would guess the ome with spacers gives 3 and1/2 lift when new, i know mine was a heavy 3 when i installed it.. so in short the ome gives you more clearance i think:thinkerg:

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
CHOP! CHOP! CHOP! CHOP! CHOP!CHOP!CHOP!CHOP!CHOP!CHCHOP!OP!CHOPCHOP!!CHOP!CHOP!CHOP!CHOP!CHOP!CHOP!CHOP!CHOP!CHOP! It's not a chop but a careful and surgical removal of excess body support material thus allowing for maximum clearance in the rear of the front inner fender . Sound better. Wow that confused the crap out of me!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i did a rough estimate to the top of the wheel well front was like 36 1/4 and the rear was like 38 3/4s im pretty sure the lift was installed right, a toyota tech did it that has like 20 years experience but it could be wrong. the front gained like 2.5 and the rear gained close to 3 inches which is typical people are saying but if anyones close ill gladly drive to there house to see if its installed right since my camera is broken and wont be fixed for a while.

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Some maybe be off with your alignment or something if those don't fit. There are some guys running 285's with no lift and not rubbing. The AT's in 285 have a wide shoulder too.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well it needs an alingment but im going to get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am running 285/17... with an OME lift... no chop...no rub....
Are you running stock wheels... IF so, you should have no problems... If not, your backspacing has to be way off.....

·
Registered
934 Posts
Something is odd. I just went out and measured mine with a new OME lift Med/Med and stock wheels and Duncraps and I sit 38 1/4 up front and 38 5/8 in the rear to the bottom edge (closest to tire) of the flair. two days ago I had a freind put on 2 295/70/17 Toyo Open Country MT and I might and I say might rub in the most extreme situations and I have no chop.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
stock 16 inch wheels like i said i just put the 285 next to the 265 didnt actually test fit it so im not sure im just venting because it really looked like it was going to rub i guess some tires rub some dont. I guess i need to find someone with the same setup with 285s.

·
Registered
87 Posts
With the OME lift, you should not have over 2" front-to-rear height difference (unless you used 883/895). Are you sure that the front springs were installed correctly? Check the spring seats and make sure that they are not upside down.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts