Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, first time poster here. I recently inherited an FJ from my girlfriend's late father who was killed in a tragic accident outside of Houston about a year ago. It's a 2013 4.0L V6 56k miles with a rebuilt salvage title (due to a collision but). It's in pretty great condition with the exception of some surface rust and runs great. After having two different mechanics go through it top to bottom, the only major things were replacing a few rusted brakelines and pulleys.

Originally I wanted to turn it into a project truck, but after some unexpected life events involving the death of another family member, I'm sadly starting to realize I don't have the time or money needed to properly take on such a project. So Id love to get anyones thoughts on the severity of the rust issue and the implications of the salvage title,

Thanks for taking the time to read this, cheers

Attachments

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,207 Posts
Welcome.
Check your info - no 2015 US FJ’s and from the wheels that looks to be 2013 or earlier.
For your info feeler threads for vehicles for sale are not allowed so you need to do your own research on that but a salvage title will effect it’s value (I’ve edited your post accordingly to cover the other questions). From your pictures the rust looks surface and fairly easy to deal with.

You are welcome to post it for sale on this forum with full disclosure and your contact info

·
Premium Member
16,415 Posts
Welcome aboard! The surface rust does not look that bad. Good luck in selling the FJ, if you decide to go that way.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
"Salvage Title" tends to scare the average buyer so you'll really only hear from people who are serious. That's good and bad: not a lot of casual looky-loo's but not a lot of calls either. Really all the salvage title means is that the insurance company wrote it off. It's a bean counter's valuation of cost/benefit. I get it but the evaluation does not take into account how cool the vehicle is.

If you are asking if it's worth a little bit of effort to keep, then yes it's worth it. Get a wire brush and clean up that frame rust then hit it with something to seal up the metal. Personally, I use rustolium. Probably not the most classy thing but it's easy and seems to do a good job. The rust in the engine bay wouldn't bother me. Unless you go with aluminum or stainless or ti, you'll always have a rusty exhaust.

All that being said, I will always err on the side of "keep it on the road" if it's a car I like. A '67 Mercury Cougar with no glass, wheels and major body work? It's worth it. A 2019 Volvo with water spots? Trash it. So take my opinion with it's inherent bias for what it's worth: Like, my opinion maaaan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"Salvage Title" tends to scare the average buyer so you'll really only hear from people who are serious. That's good and bad: not a lot of casual looky-loo's but not a lot of calls either. Really all the salvage title means is that the insurance company wrote it off. It's a bean counter's valuation of cost/benefit. I get it but the evaluation does not take into account how cool the vehicle is.

If you are asking if it's worth a little bit of effort to keep, then yes it's worth it. Get a wire brush and clean up that frame rust then hit it with something to seal up the metal. Personally, I use rustolium. Probably not the most classy thing but it's easy and seems to do a good job. The rust in the engine bay wouldn't bother me. Unless you go with aluminum or stainless or ti, you'll always have a rusty exhaust.

All that being said, I will always err on the side of "keep it on the road" if it's a car I like. A '67 Mercury Cougar with no glass, wheels and major body work? It's worth it. A 2019 Volvo with water spots? Trash it. So take my opinion with it's inherent bias for what it's worth: Like, my opinion maaaan.
Appreciate your thoughts! Any thoughts on using POR-15 45404 vs Rustolium? Good news is it's not a 2019 volvo with waterspots. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Somethings not adding up here. It shows miles driven after the recorded collision. That amount of surface rust is common for Vermont but looks to have never been addressed .Call the Vermont dealer, (have the vin ready) maybe they can add some information .

·
A-Team Moderator
8,724 Posts
In the PNW here, I see salvaged titled FJ's go for ~$10K under whatever KBB is stating for the same w/out the salvage brand. Obviously that doesn't mean anything in Texas.

Is that a manual trans Cavalry Blue? Assuming it's a 4x4, does it have Traction control, RRdifLock and A-Trac under the stereo or overhead controls?

Drivers door jamb there's a decal, upper right corner 4 numbers, what does it say? example: 01/13. That's the build month and year.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
5,850 Posts
Greetings from Vermont, heart of the rustbelt!

POR 15 is an excellent product but you really do have to take the prep seriously or it will peel off. Also do not use where sunlight will hit it. I use Eastwood Rust Encapsulator as an undercoat for spots with UV light exposure. Then (because it’s VT) slather everything with Fluid Film.

Since it sounds like a vehicle you have interest in maintaining and keeping I’d just ignore the salvage title issue - get out and enjoy this beautiful vehicle and honor the memory of the man who first owned it 😇

1 - 14 of 14 Posts