Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new horn.....

I talked to the guy at the store and it was just supposed to be plug it in and it works. Well, i got home and of coarse the FJ had something else going on. Instead of two connections there was only one so I had to change the connector on the FJ to fit in the + side. I then took a 12 gauge wire i had at my house, solder it on to the horn and grounded it.

It worked perfectly everything was going well

Then i went to use it and it didn't work, it blew a fuse and now every time i use it it kills the fuse.

So what i was wondering is has this ever happened to anyone else and if so do you have any suggestions. Even if it hasn't happened to anyone i am willing to take and input

·
Registered
413 Posts
Several people with the Wolo Bad Boy (myself included) have just 'upgraded' the 10A horn fust to 15A, and all is well. I just wouldn't sit on the horn for a very long time, to be on the safe side. I'm assuming you used the Wolo as a replacement, and not an added horn on the same circuit.

I agree you should run a separate circuit, if the Wolo is an additional horn. You'd then tap off the existing line to the original horn, to trigger the new relay/circuit for supplying the actual power to the horn.

But, I think you will be fine if you just don't over do the honking, and go with a 15A fuse.

beep-beep!

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Several people with the Wolo Bad Boy (myself included) have just 'upgraded' the 10A horn fust to 15A, and all is well. I just wouldn't sit on the horn for a very long time, to be on the safe side. I'm assuming you used the Wolo as a replacement, and not an added horn on the same circuit.

I agree you should run a separate circuit, if the Wolo is an additional horn. You'd then tap off the existing line to the original horn, to trigger the new relay/circuit for supplying the actual power to the horn.

But, I think you will be fine if you just don't over do the honking, and go with a 15A fuse.

beep-beep!

Thanks that was what i was hoping would work but i wanted to see if other people have done that.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would be very cautious about going with a larger fuse. Ther electrical system for the horn is made to handle a given loan. The fuse sets the top end for that load. Going with a larger fuse just defeats the purpose of a fuse and you run the risk of overheating the existing wires. Play it safe and use a relay.

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts

beep-beep!
I'm Also guilty of this terrible practice. lol
relay would be safest though.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Relay..... 20ga wire (if it is really even that big) can't hold up to the current the Wolo draws. The wiring instructions that came with my horn show a relay fed with with a 20A fuse (both of which come with the Stebel version of the horn).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts