Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing Hella's TC-400 Tire Pressure Control System!! As you know the 07' FJ didn't come with a tire pressure system, but the 08's did. I didn't want to feel left out. But Hella's system is way more advanced than the factory. The factory one only lights up an idiot light in the dash if one of the tires is low (nor does it tell you witch one or what pressure). It keeps track of pressure (PSI or BAR) and temperature (*C or *F) and it has alarms for pressure loss or temperature fluctuations. Also you can customize your setting for tire pressure. I programed the setting for road and off road tire pressures! The display is great, you can change the color to match the interior lights (6 different colors). I picked light orange, it matches very well. I figured this would be great to keep a tabs on my pressure to maximize my MPG and tire wear, and great for the trail so when I air down I know all my tires are the same.

I finished up late, so no pictures until daylight. I'll post them ASAP. It went very smoothly. Hella provided a CD with the instructions, but no paper instructions. That sucked, because I had to bring my laptop in my car with me, but I guess everyone is going GREEN (damn hippies). Anyway here is what I did.

A simple 3 wire hook up (constant 12V, Ign 12V, and ground). I wired it to my fuse box with two Add-A-Circuits, one for the constant 12V and one for the Ign 12V. The system called for 5 amp fuse for the constant 12V, but for good measure I put a 5 amp fuse to the Ign 12V. Then I grounded it to the body behind the driver's side kick panel. By the blue boxes (4WD control unit).

Next I had to mount the control box and the 12" flexible antenna. I mounted it with zip ties to the wire harness located behind the driver's side kick panel.

Then came the display unit. I mounted this above my rear view mirror. Above my CB external speaker that I had mounted a wile back (I did a write up on the forum, search for it, super clean looking). It came with a bracket that I screwed into the headliner (it is super sturdy). I ran the wire through a hole I made in the headliner for the CB external speaker (its small and behind the mirror so you can't see it). Then across the windshield, then down the driver's side post to the control box behind the driver's side kick panel and plugged it in. That was it for the interior.

The kit came with 4 valve stem monitors, I ordered a 5th for the spare. The system can handle up to 7 valve stem monitors (for duelies, or trailers). Hella said the battery will last 7 to 10 years in the valve stems (we will see). I didn't install them yet, you have to dismount the tires and install the system's valve stems. I am waiting for my tires to come in from Tire Rack (285/70-17 BFG Mud Terrain KM2) before I put them on my new steelies (thanks survivorman for the rims).

I'll keep you all updated on how the system is working out and will post pictures ASAP.

Keep the shinny side up.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me know if anyone else has installed this, and what do you think of it.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
NSB you got me thinking about doing this and I'm researching TPMS's now. The Orange one looks pretty cool too. I like the fact that the battery life is several years(!). That's a long time to send out a radio signal.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Let me know if anyone else has installed this, and what do you think of it.
I have the Hella TC400 system installed in my FJ, and I think it's great (of course I'm a Hella distributor, so I'm biased, too). I like the tire temperature function, and that I can reset the base pressure when I air down. Now I can drive on the lower pressure to go to the market, etc, when camping, and know if I'm getting into tire trouble, without having to air up for every little trip on the pavement (although this is not a recommended use for the device). IMO, tire temperature can be a more critical indicator of problems than tire pressure alone. And it tells you the actual pressure, not just a warning light flashing.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
...The kit came with 4 valve stem monitors, I ordered a 5th for the spare. The system can handle up to 7 valve stem monitors (for duelies, or trailers).

I'll keep you all updated on how the system is working out and will post pictures ASAP.

Keep the shinny side up.
Looking forward to the report and pics. I'm interested in this system if it will work on trailer tires behind the truck.

NOTE: Each sensor is labeled LF, LR, RF, RR, but the system can be programmed to new locations after tire rotation, etc. Sensors cannot be more than 32 feet away from control unit's antenna.
Extra sensors seem very expensive, though. The whole system including 4 sensors is $220, but extra sensors are $56 each !

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got around to posting some pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here are the rest of the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fuse box has three Add-A-Circuits, one is for my CB, the other two are for the Hella TPMS.

I'll get a night shot of the display unit so you can see the color.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me know what you thing of my install location.

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update on the Hella TC-400 system.

I have been using the system for a wile, and I can say it is great. I am amazed on how easy it was to program. You can't believe how fast the tires heat up with just a little bit of driving. I know I live in florida but damn, after ten minutes of driving the pressure goes up like 2psi and 10*F.
The color of the screen matches great (light orange) to the factory dash lights. And my window tint has not affected the system. I have been able to keep track of my pressure down to the tenth and it has helped with my gas milage and should help my tire wear. I would recommend this to anyone without a factory tire pressure system, it is way better (you actually know which tire needs air)!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Although small wont these effect the balance of the tire?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have ran through about 3 tanks of gas with the system installed. I get about 300 miles out of 15 gallons (when the light comes on I put about 15 gallons in to fill it). So far my MPG has been steady at 19.5ish MPG. Before the system I checked my tire pressure once a month and was getting around 18.5ish. I think it has helped keeping the pressure the same for all the tires all the time which in turn helps your MPG. I keep seeing reports on TV saying to keep you tire pressure in check for better gas milage along with other tips. Do you need this system NO, but it makes it a ton easier to check the pressures and see what your tires are doing. Off road I like it because when I air down I can make sure they are at the right pressure for the condition.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got the tires balanced at my local Toyota dealership. My service guy is a good friend and he lets me get all my stuff done under the table. I asked if they would effect balancing the tires and he said no, the 08' FJ have similar valve stems and don't affect the balancing. The weights on the rims are on the other side of the rim where the valve stem is. The system is working great and I love real time information. I am going to get my BFG KM2 on soon and I am going to put nitrogen in the tires instead of air. My guy at Toyota is going to do this for me for nothing!! I just have to shoot the tire guy there a few bucks. They switched out my rims for steelies, mounted, balanced, and installed the valves for all 5 tires for $50 bucks. He told me to come back when I get my tires and he will put nitrogen in them for free when they install my new tires. I hope I can see a difference with the nitrogen. I will keep updating.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts