Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed my new aFe intake. Has anyone had an issue getting the aluminum plate lined up and screwed down? The whole installation went smooth...then the last step...putting on the air box cover. It just didnt fit very well. I got 5 out of the 6 screws in, but just cant get that damn last 1! Am I the only one?

·
Premium Member
2,736 Posts
I just installed my new aFe intake. Has anyone had an issue getting the aluminum plate lined up and screwed down? The whole installation went smooth...then the last step...putting on the air box cover. It just didnt fit very well. I got 5 out of the 6 screws in, but just cant get that damn last 1! Am I the only one?
I was able to get mine to fit by following the instructions. Middle first then out outside since it has a slight bow to it. I also thought that the fit could have been better too, but it looks fine once installed. It appears that the fit quality of the cover varies a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
had the same type of issues with mine... but noticed that after a couple of months when I checked the filter it came off easy and went back on easy as well.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had to turn the cover so that the AFE was read upside down .
That was the one for the tundra , hopefully it will fit the correct way for you .

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
did you install the 2 rubber grommet on the bottom of the airbox or you might have over tighten the air box mounting bolts, specially the one that's connected to the rubber isolator..

they look like this

over tightening it will cost the box to warp and it will cost misalignment on the airbox cover..

all should line-up perfectly :)

AFE and TRD is similar :)

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for all of your answers. i did go back after a week of engine heat on the box and got it to flex while still warm. don't know if thats the right way to do it...but it worked!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts