Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided that I needed to clean up my mess and make room for recovory gear and other junk that stays in the cargo area.
I decided to make it out of 1" square tubing and aluminum sheet. I made the drawer out of wood because I don't have the tool to make it with sheet metal.

CAD drawing....
Oops design on the fly:rofl:
Skeleton

Drawer installed. The space in the rear is going to be a locking compartment.

Ballbearing full extention drawer slide. 100lb. Weight capacity

Test fit

I will use a 1/8 wood with carpet or rubber matt to fill in all the open gaps on
top. I will also install an aluminum door front and hooks to tie things down.
I still need to make the top for locking storage compartment.
This whole piece is under 80lbs

All I need to do is install locking hardware and handles.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Looks good ! Just an FYI on the drawer slides, 100 lbs is pretty small for one big drawer. You can bump up to what we call "file drawer slides" which are 150 pound rating and still only need 1/2" clearance per side. Beyond 150 lb capacity, slides usually increase to 3/4" thick.

·
Premium Member
17,639 Posts
Didn't even notice the drawer slides weight. Woodsman might have some good suggestions that are cost effective.

I went with accuride cause I've used them for machine tool applications in the past and they are pretty robust. Ones I used on each drawer were rated to over 350lbs. 100lbs on one larger drawer would add up fast (at least for the spares and tools I like to bring along), if you don't carry considerable weight you'd be fine.

Not bad for the $$ invested. Really like the aluminum frame. I looked at Bosch Rexroth stuff when I was setting up my rear storage, but didn't like how cumbersome their Al channel was. Your setup is much cleaner!

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks good ! Just an FYI on the drawer slides, 100 lbs is pretty small for one big drawer. You can bump up to what we call "file drawer slides" which are 150 pound rating and still only need 1/2" clearance per side. Beyond 150 lb capacity, slides usually increase to 3/4" thick.
Wish I new that! Maybe next time. I welded the slides in and I also plan on keeping the heavier items in the lock compartment. I know the hinges are rated at 100lbs and they can actually handle more but if I ever have that much weight in there I want fully extend drawer out..

Thanks for the info on slides.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:thinkerg:
Maybe I can add a second set of guides.. Major pita but easier then trying to remove the ones already installed.

Also the drawer wasn't designed for much more then 100lbs. The great thing is that if it doesn't hold up I can make a new drawer.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
The slides are an easy upgrade if your 100 pounders fail you. For $25 you can buy a pair of the 150s. You can also vertically stack two 100 pounders on each side. However, if you want to remove the drawer it gets really tricky holding all the tabs and pulling the drawer out simultaneously.

·
Banned
1,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@woodsman
I think I'll add a upper center guide. It should help support the extra weight and also keep the drawer from sagging.

I removed the factory hooks and welded tabs to the box to secure it to the car. I'm going to drill the factory nut and tap it to accept a larger bolt. The factory bolts are to small

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nicely done! I would like to make something like that some day!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts