Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
After 5 months of reading this forum, test driving the FJ numerous times and pestering my Toyota guy with endless questions, I put a deposit on a 2009 Voodoo blue 6 speed base model (they could not find a 2008 model that we wanted...wrong colour, automatic, etc, etc...). The 2009's are being produced in August with an expected delivery in mid-September! Here are the changes to the 2009 (as told by my canadian dealership):

-Side Curtain Airbags Deleted
-Roll Sensing Side Curtain Airbags with Off-Switch adopted
-Active Front Headrests adopted
-Front Seat Map Lamps adopted
-Redesigned Sun Visors/ Vanity Mirrors

The manual transmission also includes
-Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) with Cutoff Switch

If anyone hears of changes that I have not mentioned, please let me know!!
I can hardly wait for delivery! Until then, I will continue to be (in the words of MDA Sandman) a 'lurker'! Thanks for all the great info!

lorraine :clap:

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Cool Lorraine - and welcome to the forum - :wave:

-

-

·
Registered
534 Posts
Congrats.

Here are the changes to the 2009 (as told by my canadian dealership):

-Side Curtain Airbags Deleted
-Roll Sensing Side Curtain Airbags with Off-Switch adopted
-Active Front Headrests adopted
-Front Seat Map Lamps adopted
-Redesigned Sun Visors/ Vanity Mirrors
So does this mean no new colors for 2009?

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
That's interesting, regarding the side airbags. I guess the height of the doors on the FJ protected more than the air bags (possibly), and Toyota found that more protection was needed during rolls (which apparently don't trigger the side airbags?).

Congrats on the new purchase! You'll love it, I'm sure...

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Welcome. :wave:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome and congradulations on your new ride

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
Congrats and Welcome! Post pics when you get it!

cheers,

dale

·
Registered
477 Posts
JoeUser said, "That's interesting, regarding the side airbags. I guess the height of the doors on the FJ protected more than the air bags (possibly), and Toyota found that more protection was needed during rolls (which apparently don't trigger the side airbags?)."

JoeUser, Our Xterra has roll sensing SABs(seat mounted SABs combined with Curtain SABs). To clarify, they work as regular SABs in a side impact(not just in impending roll over situations), but they also have the ability to sense an impending roll over and inflate in advance of any actual roll over and impact. The current FJCs don't have this roll over sensor and it is being added. The 'off' switch is a fantastic addition. A small number of Xterra owners have reported the SABs going off while driving at an angle or with a slight bump during off road activity, when they(the owners) felt it wasn't necessary. They have complained to Nissan for an 'off' switch.

A high frame height can help protect from intrusion and absorb some of the momentum in a moderate to severe side impact, but it won't stop/absorb all the forces and keep your torso and head from being slammed into the interior door panel or side window glass/frame in a moderate to severe side impact or roll over. I have been involved in a side collision. I believe a SAB would have been helpful in preventing my body from being flipped into the door and window as a reaction to the impact when the truck hit me just behind the driver's door while I was driving. Fortunately, I was wearing a seat belt. The non-secured items in the interior went flying all over, gas tank was ruptured and the rear axle snapped.

Look at the IIHS.org website for pics of the FJ during and after a side impact. The SABs did a great job!

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
factory map lights eh. There is a new mod i see planned for mid september.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Congrats. Sounds like Toyota is taking the steps to make the FJ better. Welcome to the Layer Cake.

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
Let's hope they can avoid a layer cake and refine a camel - :jester:

-

-

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Congrats on the order for the 2009s!:rocker::cheers:

Welcome to the forum!:wave:

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
You're gonna love it. Welcome and congrats.:rocker:

·
Registered
851 Posts
I want to see the map lights!
Me too, me too. I wanna see how to install the map lights in our FJ's!

Congrats. Sounds like Toyota is taking the steps to make the FJ better. Welcome to the Layer Cake.
Just curious, what's the Layer Cake?
:)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.