Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the 2008 Trail Teams FJ, it should be here by Wed. I cant wait! I sold my MR2 Turbo of 8 years which almost broke my heart. I broke the motor in myself when I had it built with forged internals, and never had a problem with it. My question is if they way I did it in the MR2 is recommended for the FJ. I basically would get on it full throttle every now and then, but never went above 4500rpm to seat the rings. My redline was 7000rpm. I sold the car with 30k on the motor with perfect compression in all 4 cylinders. Any thoughts/concerns would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Welcome to the forum, to anser your question I was told for first 500 mile drive it 70 and 75 vary between speeds and no cruise during this time. I did it to mine then I drove it like I stole it. 21,000 no problems.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Why would mph matter? Excessive high RPM is what not to exceed. Like a bike, don't baby it or trash it for 1K miles. Gun it once in a while so you don't gobble oil later in life and I avoided cruise control and varied speed. Toyota's are so well made it probably doesn't matter how you drive. $.02

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Welcome to the forum, to anser your question I was told for first 500 mile drive it 70 and 75 vary between speeds and no cruise during this time. I did it to mine then I drove it like I stole it. 21,000 no problems.
"Drive it like you stole it" is sound advice. I concure with Stringmachine and after 500 "familiarization-miles" have hammered my Fusion out of every light and drag raced 'whatever' out of every toll booth. I rolled 24.000 in the first year with ZERO issues and expect to go 250,000+

Welcome to our world :cheers:

Don't forget to acknowlege fellow Cruisers :rocker:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Don't forget to acknowlege fellow Cruisers :rocker:
Strangely every FJ I've waved at has just looked at me like I'm from mars. I think its just a NY thing. I hate NY.

For the break in I drove it at varying speeds and kept the revs under 3K till I changed the oil at 2K. Then I drove it like I stole it. After my 5k change though I'm gonna settle out.

O and welcome to the forums :wave:

·
Registered
39 Posts
there are too different schools of thought when it comes to engine break in

One says drive it like a grandma letting all the engine components slowely get accustomed to each other, never exceeding 3/4 throttle.

The other says drive it a little more aggresive with the idea that load on the engine helps seat the piston ringlands better. This idea requires would be driving with more throttle and using engine breaking. Driving lots of miles at the same speed is not conducive with this mind set.

I believe the latter is more relative to modern cars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There's a complete section on this in the owner's manual. Right after the first 97 pages on seat belts and car seats. They tabbed the page and went over it in detail at the stealership. I did it by the book... A lot above is true. Biggest thing for me was the brakes. Don't stomp on them for the first 200...I think. And now, once in a while I drive it like a Ferrrrari... :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Strangely every FJ I've waved at has just looked at me like I'm from mars. I think its just a NY thing. I hate NY.
Start waiving w/ two fingers and if they don't waive back, switch to one.:wave::bigthumb:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for the info, boys!
I did all the varying speed recommendations, AND changed my oil at 1500. Probably not necessary since these engines are already supposed to be broken in, but if you like to be careful (like me) then this will ensure that any extra wear during break-in gets flushed out. I didn't switch to synthetic until the 2nd oil change, at 5K.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Congrats on the FJ!!!:cheers:

Welcome to the forum!!!:wave:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
You are going to learn to hate this place....we will all help you spend gobs & gobs of your hard earned cash on things for the FJ you have never even heard of.

All kidding aside...congrats and welcome.

Cya

1 - 16 of 16 Posts