Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my BFG KM2 255/80/17 from discount tire direct and I am pumped. Can not wait to see how they look on the FJ!:clap:

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
WOOWZA... 80's.... You Must POST PICT's once you have them !... :clap:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Still trying to understand the advantage of the cutters. My initial interest was that they would be easier to propel and thus save on fuel. But some say that's not really much of an advantage. Then of course there's the better traction in slush and shallow mud. And I guess they're not just less expensive or are they?

·
Registered
535 Posts
Still trying to understand the advantage of the cutters. My initial interest was that they would be easier to propel and thus save on fuel. But some say that's not really much of an advantage. Then of course there's the better traction in slush and shallow mud. And I guess they're not just less expensive or are they?

Yes they are less expensive from all the searching around I have done.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes they are less expensive from all the searching around I have done.
For me it had to do with more of the discussion of weight and surface area. Because the tire is thinner, there are more pounds per square inche, allowing the tire to cut through mud and snow. Think of it like the difference between a sharp and dull knife. The pizza cutters would definetly not be the best option for sand, but I do not plan on going on any dunes (none in upsate NY). The price is also great on the tire, plus a little less weight than a 285.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
For me it had to do with more of the discussion of weight and surface area. Because the tire is thinner, there are more pounds per square inche, allowing the tire to cut through mud and snow. Think of it like the difference between a sharp and dull knife. The pizza cutters would definetly not be the best option for sand, but I do not plan on going on any dunes (none in upsate NY). The price is also great on the tire, plus a little less weight than a 285.
Probably a little less grip/traction off road too.

·
Registered
936 Posts
:rocker: I just installed a set of 255/85-16 KM2's yesterday, I think they look good, they filled the wheel wells better than the oem 265/75-16 KO's did.

From what I have seen they work very well offroad. They also cost less and weigh less than a larger tire, I don't know how much effect they will have on fuel mileage yet, but I don't think it will be much one way or another. Also haven't noticed any loss of acceleration due to slightly larger tire diameter.

So far I'am really happy with them, and did I mention that they look good.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Probably a little less grip/traction off road too.
You are probable right. I think it all come down to preference and there are advantages to both. I like the fact that even with an agressive tread I will not rub with this size.:cheers:

·
Registered
166 Posts
We really need photos here. Im thinking about Pizza Cutters also. Photos would be very helpful.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
from the reports i have read, people are getting about the same mileage with 255s as the guys with 285s are.

·
fka RockWeasel
226 Posts
The pizza cutter madness continues...

I can verify that there is no mileage hit or gain with 255 BFG KM2 versus 285 BFG A/T's.

One thing that needs mentioning is that the 255 is a true 33"+ tire, and it is noticeable on the truck.

Beyond that, it really is preference. I love my 285's, and love my 255's. The A/T's are a little more cushy with the lower load rating, and the 255's are, well, they're 255's.

Regardless of the much touted and argued benefits, folks either like them or they don't. Personally, I wish BFG made a 255/85/16 A/T.

People always say the KM2's -- especially in the 255 ratio -- are horrible in snow, slush, and ice, but they're not all that bad. And you see trucks running them in snow country all of the time.

If you are on the fence about them, ride a set for a full cycle and see what you think. Nothing to lose, really.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The pizza cutter madness continues...

I can verify that there is no mileage hit or gain with 255 BFG KM2 versus 285 BFG A/T's.

One thing that needs mentioning is that the 255 is a true 33"+ tire, and it is noticeable on the truck.

Beyond that, it really is preference. I love my 285's, and love my 255's. The A/T's are a little more cushy with the lower load rating, and the 255's are, well, they're 255's.

Regardless of the much touted and argued benefits, folks either like them or they don't. Personally, I wish BFG made a 255/85/16 A/T.

People always say the KM2's -- especially in the 255 ratio -- are horrible in snow, slush, and ice, but they're not all that bad. And you see trucks running them in snow country all of the time.

If you are on the fence about them, ride a set for a full cycle and see what you think. Nothing to lose, really.

I understand what you are saying. I just liked getting the 33" tire without having to do a body mount chop. Everything after that is just hand waving I know... I will add pictures when I get them mounted at the end of next week...:cheers:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
So they come in AT and MT. Are they Light Truck? ie sidewall tough?

·
Registered
936 Posts
You are probable right. I think it all come down to preference and there are advantages to both. I like the fact that even with an agressive tread I will not rub with this size.:cheers:
That was another reason I went with the 255's, rubbing should not be an issue. As far as grip/traction goes, if you look at the old timers, ranchers and oil rig workers around here (western slope of Colorado) most of them run tall and skinny tires for a reason- it works. Not saying that a wider tire won't work either, like you said there are advantages to both, for me tall/skinny was a better choice. :cheers:

·
Registered
140 Posts
what kind of lift do you have? I have being looking at the same options. I have a daystart 2.5. I don't know if that is enough to clear without rubbing.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
what kind of lift do you have? I have being looking at the same options. I have a daystart 2.5. I don't know if that is enough to clear without rubbing.
I have OME 883's in front and 895E's in the back both with Bilstein 5100's, but there are several people on the forum running these tires with no lift and have not had rubbing issues.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another good thread. I second the need for pictures. Also, what size tire are we talking about without rubbing. Thanks

1 - 20 of 50 Posts