Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a 2014 FJ in army green color. It looks like it has been leveled with after market 17" rims with 285/70 tires on them. Pretty clean looking with only 29K miles. Clean slate to begin my upgrades.

Ideas for best first mods are welcome. I'm not a big fan of the OEM rack, so I am looking at a Warrior flat rack, Baja Rack Standard low profile, or Gobi stealth. Having a hard time justifying the $$ of the Gobi, but I like it the most.

Oh, I hear a weird wind noise from 5-15 MPH then it goes away. Is this common?

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
40,122 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
FYI...group buy on Frontrunner racks right now at Tacoma World. Will include the racks for FJ in group buy. 15% off and free shipping. Group Buy goes through this Friday. Frontrunner may not be the direction you want to go or you arent in a position to make a decision quickly, but wanted you to be aware of the GB.

More info on Frontrunner Racks in this thread:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru.../171961-front-runner-roof-racks-any-good.html

No endorsement one way or another. I have a Prinsu Rack.

Further rack information here:

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...633673-new-complete-roof-rack-comparison.html

Welcome to the forum!

·
Mean Time Moderator
6,120 Posts
Welcome from the UK. Congrats on finding your FJ, looks great.

Totally agree on the racks... I wish I had a Gobi but by the time I got it her it would cost double!

As for what to do first... I suggest your first investment is a case of beer to enjoy whilst you read through the advice and info on here. What you buy depends on your budget and what the destiny of your FJ is going to be.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
My first mod would be to replace all the silver bits with black TT parts. You can buy the whole package for about $1k or paint everything yourself for less than $100. If you paint, I'd recommend not painting the door handles but buy the black set for about $50. The handles get touched a lot so you wouldn't want the paint there to chip. Either painting or replacing means you have to disassemble the truck so you might as well invest a couple hours to paint instead of $1k buying all new. Buy the Crylon flat black paint for plastic and some black primer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FYI...group buy on Frontrunner racks right now at Tacoma World. Will include the racks for FJ in group buy. 15% off and free shipping. Group Buy goes through this Friday. Frontrunner may not be the direction you want to go or you arent in a position to make a decision quickly, but wanted you to be aware of the GB.
Thanks! I will definitely take a look at them. Reading through the threads, seems like everyone who owns one likes it.

Thanks!
:cheers:

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Welcome from the UK. Congrats on finding your FJ, looks great.

Totally agree on the racks... I wish I had a Gobi but by the time I got it her it would cost double!

As for what to do first... I suggest your first investment is a case of beer to enjoy whilst you read through the advice and info on here. What you buy depends on your budget and what the destiny of your FJ is going to be.
I like beer too!!!

Welcome op from Philo, OH!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Welcome from Vancouver, Canada!

·
Premium Member
17,031 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
10,440 Posts
Welcome

·
Premium Member
13,550 Posts
a) Welcome to the Forum and the madness!
b) Figure out your intensions with the FJ THEN plan your mods accordingly. Modding without a plan is costly on resources.
c) When reading through the forum......Keep your wallet out of reach.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
a) Welcome to the Forum and the madness!
b) Figure out your intensions with the FJ THEN plan your mods accordingly. Modding without a plan is costly on resources.
c) When reading through the forum......Keep your wallet out of reach.
Thanks for the great advice. I think first order will be to plan some camping road trips when the temps fall below triple digits. Just saw info on FJ Summit, perhaps by next year I will be ready to give it a go. :ninja:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just purchased a 2014 FJ in army green color. It looks like it has been leveled with after market 17" rims with 285/70 tires on them. Pretty clean looking with only 29K miles. Clean slate to begin my upgrades.

Ideas for best first mods are welcome. I'm not a big fan of the OEM rack, so I am looking at a Warrior flat rack, Baja Rack Standard low profile, or Gobi stealth. Having a hard time justifying the $$ of the Gobi, but I like it the most.

Oh, I hear a weird wind noise from 5-15 MPH then it goes away. Is this common?

Welcome!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
Welcome from the Rocky Mts of Colorado.

Upgrades may depend on what you plan on doing. I live in a rural environment and do a fair bit of off roading. My first upgrades where an ARB bull guard and beefing up suspension

If my truck didn't have it already I'd through on a trailer receiver.

I have a winch now. Next step are some LEDs on the number.

Noise at 15 mph. Can you locate the general area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Hellchicken

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Welcome from North Carolina

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Welcome from the Rocky Mts of Colorado.

Upgrades may depend on what you plan on doing. I live in a rural environment and do a fair bit of off roading. My first upgrades where an ARB bull guard and beefing up suspension

If my truck didn't have it already I'd through on a trailer receiver.

I have a winch now. Next step are some LEDs on the number.

Noise at 15 mph. Can you locate the general area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My plans are to eventually move to Colorado, but stuck here in Tejas for the time being. No, I don't have a hitch, so that will be something I definitely purchase soon.

I did more investigating on the wind noise. I have a new thread on this wind noise

I suspected it was coming from the upper windshield molding and was right. There is a small gap all the way across where the mold and the roof top meet. The wind seems to catch it just right causing it make noise... similar to blowing across an open bottle top, but much higher pitch. Sounds like bad wheel bearings. I placed tape across the top and noise is gone. Now just have to fix it.

I plan to take some pics and update the status and results on the thread above.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome from the Bay Area!

I like the fitment of your wheels--do you happen to know the fitment/offset? 17x8 or x9, etc?

Also....i must know where u came up with the name "Hellchicken"! Awesome...:grin

·
Premium Member
970 Posts
Welcome from Georgia!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts