Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys this is my 1st post on the forum. I've been using the search feature for about a month, getting info on some mods that i'd like to tackle (Homelink, Maplights, Sunroof).

I bought a 2008 FJ Trail Teams Edition 6-speed manual, i love this truck!

Yesterday i went out and bought a JVC KW-NX7000 Navi/DVD reciever and it also came with the JVC KS-BTA200 Bluetooth adapter.

I asked the Futureshop salesman a wire harness for a 2008 FJ, the salesman after talking with car audio tech asked me if i had a "Factory Amp" in my truck, which i was unsure of. I told him i had the highest system with 6 cd changer and Subwoofer (FJammer).

After tallking with the tech some more they came to the conclusion that they don't carry a harness compatible with FJ or it might not be available at all!

I found this quite strange but after searching this site more i found a few options but i'm not sure which is the correct one:

- Metra Electronics - Products

- Toyota/Geo Wire Harness receiver, 1987-up

- Toyota Wire Harness Amplifier Integration

Do i need the one with factory amplifier wires? because i don't think i do.

Next will i need a harness/adapter for the "Radio" or the "Steering wheel controls"?

And which dash kit do you guys recommend, i found this:

- Toyota FJ Cruiser 2007-Up, DD

I hopefully will be installing this over the weekend. i'll be posting some pictures when it's done.

Thanks alot, Alex

·
Registered
10 Posts
Checking on Crutchfield's site, they list the Toy/Geo 1987 up harness as the one you need. That is also the one I used to install my Avic F900bt. You can solder the wires from the jvc harness to the Toyota harness, makes the install much easier when plugging in. The Dash kit is fine, it will give you a small frame to cover some slight gaps on the bottom and sides of the unit. The JVC has a built in amp. If you currently have steering whell controls, you will need the Pac-SWI jack kit.

I'm not too sure about hooking up the factory subwoofer with the new head unit. Maybe someone else can post if this is possible.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks qkslvr, I'll be ordering the Pac-SWI jack kit.

Once again i called the guys where i purchased the Navi and asked about the wire harness, this time the guy tells me i definatly need the harness with factory amplifier wires. Does the FJ have a Factory external amp installed? Because i've been searching and i can't find anything to suggest this is true.

I also think i'll be installing a rear view camera, I can buy any camera as long as it has RCA connectors, i don't have to buy a JVC one,,,,right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I believe the subwoofer has an amp behind it, but I'm still not sure how this will work with the new head unit. The Fjammer has a switch dedicated for the subwoofer, not sure if that works with a new head unit.

Reagrding backup cameras, if your jvc supports it thru rca, just get one that has rca on it. I have a backup camera on my avicf900bt, and it is hooked up to reverse wire and thru rca. I can turn it on anytime, but it automatically comes on when I'm in reverse. Boyo makes decent ones,or you can use the jvc, pioneer, etc. I bought mine off ebay.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
once again thanks qkslvr. I'll be doing some dismantling this weekend to see what i'll be needing. And i hope to have some finished pics up soon!

·
Registered
192 Posts
do a search for subwoofer and head unit and thyirishman there is a suggestion for wiring for adding an aftermarket head unit and a tie into the power ant wire for the sub-woofer amp. I did it for my avic-900bt and it drives the oem subwoofer although I did not wire the pink wire for the sub-woofer button so the SW is no longer controlled by the switch but I am not a street thumper anyway and always left the OEM SW on all the time anyway

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks MDA Sandman, i tried doing a search including "thyirishman" as a user name, nothing came up? And when i use it as a keyword only this thread shows up?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry I had the tense incorrect, the name in thyirishmen. Advanced searh for that name and subwoofer. if it works here is the link. singha is also a good source of info.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics/48365-how-make-stock-subwoofer-work-headunit.html

Sorry again for the mis-info

Also somewhere on here is a really good step by step programming for the PAC SWI, it looks like many have had problems with programming and the instructions are less than clear. I got it programmed in 2 attempts. Could have been one time if I had read it thoroughly once.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Again MDA Sandman, i hooked up the Navi unit this morning with the bluetooth adapter and it all works great.

I tapped into the pink wire with the blue strip so the factory sub is working but i think i might have to upgrade the rest of the sound system.

I bypassed the parking brake wire (green) by grounding it between the black ground wires of the 2 harnesses.

I noticed some skipping on the cd player at higher volumes, but i'll be able to test it out more tomorrow. The Navi is easy to use and so far seems to work great.

The bluetooth is pretty kickass, but i have to play with the setting to make it a little clearer.

I have to figure out how to tap into the factory AUX input because my ipod (4th gen) is not compatible with the unit's usb input. that is the one thing that pissed me right off!

I'll try and post some pics tomorrow!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Fritsauce,

I finally pull the trigger on a brand new KW-NX7000 along with the optional Bluetooth device KS-BTA200.

I have a little list of problem and I want to see if I'm the only one.

Navigation related problems:

1- In navigation mode, the speed limit doesn’t show-up on the screen and speed alert warning doesn’t work. I have properly configured them in the setting pages to have them work.
2- Entering an address starting by street name then by city, doesn’t ask for the door number. If I start with city, street, then I have the door number available. My example was 175 Route 393 South, La Sarre, Quebec.

Bluetooth related problems:

1- The phone status box doesn’t show my battery level and signal strength. My phone has the capability of transferring that information since I had these info with a Pioneer F900BT. (My phone is a Samsung Jack)
2- In navigation mode, when I’m receiving a call, the call message box appears on the display for few seconds for me to pick-up the call and this is fine. The screen sensor makes this box disappear but when I approach my hand to the screen, the call massage box doesn’t reappear. The only way I can hang-up the phone is by using my phone or the JVC remote control.

Information from the unit

Model : KW-NX7000(J)
Serial : 143X2922
Software : 1.2.6.0
Map: 0.9.8.0
Voice : 0.9.8.0

KS-BTA200
Serial : 123X2175
Firmware : HW200-SW192

Thank you,

Charles

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have the same problem with the speed display......and, my bluetooth does not seem to be very clear while driving.....overall I do love this unit!!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same problem with the speed display......and, my bluetooth does not seem to be very clear while driving.....overall I do love this unit!!!!!!
Hi Darkmoon1974,

Thanks for the reply,

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one. I agree with the bluetooth message box but I think it is just a matter of lack of contrast but I can live with that.

Can you please check your symtem info, do you have the same as me? did you update the unit with the latest firmware?

I'm wondering if only Canadian users that don't have the speed limit notification?

I've send an e-mail to JVC Canada about these issues.

Thanks,

Charles

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Fritsauce,

I finally pull the trigger on a brand new KW-NX7000 along with the optional Bluetooth device KS-BTA200.

I have a little list of problem and I want to see if I'm the only one.

Navigation related problems:

1- In navigation mode, the speed limit doesn’t show-up on the screen and speed alert warning doesn’t work. I have properly configured them in the setting pages to have them work.
2- Entering an address starting by street name then by city, doesn’t ask for the door number. If I start with city, street, then I have the door number available. My example was 175 Route 393 South, La Sarre, Quebec.

Bluetooth related problems:

1- The phone status box doesn’t show my battery level and signal strength. My phone has the capability of transferring that information since I had these info with a Pioneer F900BT. (My phone is a Samsung Jack)
2- In navigation mode, when I’m receiving a call, the call message box appears on the display for few seconds for me to pick-up the call and this is fine. The screen sensor makes this box disappear but when I approach my hand to the screen, the call massage box doesn’t reappear. The only way I can hang-up the phone is by using my phone or the JVC remote control.

Information from the unit

Model : KW-NX7000(J)
Serial : 143X2922
Software : 1.2.6.0
Map: 0.9.8.0
Voice : 0.9.8.0

KS-BTA200
Serial : 123X2175
Firmware : HW200-SW192

Thank you,

Charles
Hey Charles! i'm sorry i didn't even see that you had PM'd back in December. i haven't really been online that much, busy with the holiday's and crap!.

I do like this system alot when it's working properly, i've been having alot of problems with my bluetooth telephone. Since i bought and plugged my ipod nano into the usb slot it seems to have caused conflicts with my bluetooth. Sometimes it doesn't even show that i have bluetooth in my device list, it just disapears completely. i updated the firmware (1.2.6.0) with no avail, i'm going to be making a appointment a futureshop to get the guys to check out what is the problem, because i've had a few from the beginning.

As for your problems:

Navi:

1) My speed limit doesn't show up either or the does the speed aleart work

2) i'm going to look more into this, i haven't had any problems so far

Bluetooth:

1) mine does show my my battery level and signal strength but some time inaccuratly.

2) i've never had that problem

i'll get back to you guys

Alex

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Charles! i'm sorry i didn't even see that you had PM'd back in December. i haven't really been online that much, busy with the holiday's and crap!.

I do like this system alot when it's working properly, i've been having alot of problems with my bluetooth telephone. Since i bought and plugged my ipod nano into the usb slot it seems to have caused conflicts with my bluetooth. Sometimes it doesn't even show that i have bluetooth in my device list, it just disapears completely. i updated the firmware (1.2.6.0) with no avail, i'm going to be making a appointment a futureshop to get the guys to check out what is the problem, because i've had a few from the beginning.

As for your problems:

Navi:

1) My speed limit doesn't show up either or the does the speed aleart work

2) i'm going to look more into this, i haven't had any problems so far

Bluetooth:

1) mine does show my my battery level and signal strength but some time inaccuratly.

2) i've never had that problem

i'll get back to you guys

Alex
Hey Alex,

Glad that you post back.

I'm far from sure if the guys at Future Shop will be helpfull. I think that couple of things need to straighten out by JVC eng. I knocked at their door but their support really s****.

Do you think we can meet together since we live both in Vaudreuil, and from there, we could test a couple of things and ask support from JVC?

Let me know what you think, maybe I can help you with your phone.

Regards,

Charles

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
As far as the Speed problem, my understanding is that it displays the speed limit on some roads (just interstates so far for me), but not the actual speed of the vehicle. I looked all through the manual to see if I could find if the actual speed could be displayed but could not find it anywhere. Maybe I'm missing something. It would be nice if it showed the actual vehicle speed, and I thought it did too when I bought it.

I can't help with the bluetooth thing since I don't have that option.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts